E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #81
VIP

My Ride: 328i Executive
Send a message via Yahoo to VIP
little participation

here is mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09825.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	378475   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09826.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	378476   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09834.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	378477  

VIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #82
Nachos23

My Ride: 2004 330Xi
Send a message via MSN to Nachos23
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP View Post
here is mine
Looks good.... but had that cf vinyl on my car on the progression to real cf.... Personally, just wasn't my taste, but still; excellent work!

Build thread started.

Nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #83
m3collins

My Ride: 2002 Carbon Black M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP View Post
here is mine
Did you paint on stitching?
m3collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #84
Nachos23

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3collins View Post
Did you paint on stitching?
No that's a vinyl wrap. Not my post, but. obvious. As I've seen it and tried it. Just not the same as real carbon fibre.

Build thread started.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #85
m3collins

My Ride: 2002 Carbon Black M3
Oh so it's stitched on? I have similar fabric but mine is glued on.
m3collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #86
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Wow OP this is insane... Major props

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #87
Nachos23

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3collins View Post
Oh so it's stitched on? I have similar fabric but mine is glued on.
Not sure what you're referring to. Are you referring to the vinyl wrap or my posts with the Carbon Fibre. If you're talking about real carbon fibre that I wrap with, then it comes in a 50" wide roll. It is attached using a special resin I've found and after several coats of resin, I clear coat using a 3-part BASF clear coat.

If you're talking about the cf vinly wrap pictures posted, it's an adhesive backed vinyl. Most popular is made by 3M.... Looks ok, but is not close to the "real stuff"

Build thread started.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #88
Nachos23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Wow OP this is insane... Major props
Thanks!!! Lots of work to learn how to do it properly and then finish part correctly.!!!

Build thread started.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #89
Nachos23

Received my new shift + e-brake boots and armrest cover.... Got the shifter boot installed (temporarily); waiting for my buddy to come by and help install permanently and assist in swapping e-brake and armrest covers.

Original automatic shifter plate still installed under the boot and is actually pressed fitted (with some 3m tape) into base..... will change once finalized..... probably during the week.

Here are a couple of pictures......

Boot a little tight @ moment when in park, but hangs nicely when in gear.... May order slightly longer boot if really needs it (this one is 1" longer than stock standard boot (estimated).....

Build thread started.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #90
Edge325ci

My Ride: 2002 E46 325ci
what if i dont have any interior pieces at all and i want ones like these i cant find them anywhere and ive been looking for quite sometime i have a 2002 e46 325ci and am looking for them to fit
Edge325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #91
csatis1

My Ride: 2004 318d Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachos23 View Post
Received my new shift + e-brake boots and armrest cover.... Got the shifter boot installed (temporarily); waiting for my buddy to come by and help install permanently and assist in swapping e-brake and armrest covers.

Original automatic shifter plate still installed under the boot and is actually pressed fitted (with some 3m tape) into base..... will change once finalized..... probably during the week.

Boot a little tight @ moment when in park, but hangs nicely when in gear.... May order slightly longer boot if really needs it (this one is 1" longer than stock standard boot (estimated).....
Excellent job! I learned a lot here... Thanks!!!
Beautiful kevlar set and nice boot (definitely better, then previous...)
csatis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #92
Nachos23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge325ci View Post
what if i dont have any interior pieces at all and i want ones like these i cant find them anywhere and ive been looking for quite sometime i have a 2002 e46 325ci and am looking for them to fit
Which pieces you referring about? Interior trim?

Build thread started.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #93
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
Got most of my parts back from Bill and very pleased with them. I have them installed, but bill is finishing up a couple other parts and the engine ecu cover for me. I hope to have those back in about 2 weeks max and then I will take some pics. I just did the standard black carbon fiber. I think with my black interior and silver grey metallic exterior, that was the best option for me. I didn't want something very flashy. I have my orange cobra for that. I wanted something that looked good and blended in well with the rest of the car and looked like a quality part, no cheap looking plastic. I know these cars come with the different trims, but those that don't know, when they get in the car and see real carbon fiber, it stands out to them and appears custom.

once I have everything, I will take some pics and post them up.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #94
Nachos23

Hey THANKS!!! Appreciate the compliment! It's very precise work and sometimes can be a PITA when everything doesn't want to co-operate, but the finished product looks great and that's why I do it; to allow guys the freedom to break from the norm and do something really cool and enhance the look of our cars..(in a city like Toronto, go downtown and it's a BMW haven; and they pretty much all look the same!!).... Real carbon fibre can't be replicated; and I tried every type of interior available for my car before deciding carbon fibre was the only solution for me.....

Looking forward to seeing the Dyvan installed as well....

It's 12:30 Sat morning and just finished wrapping for the night.... A total of 21 pieces at various stages on the benches drying now..... 2 more to start tomorrow and move each of the 21 pieces to their next respective stage.....

Your pieces are looking nice!! Particularly proud of the ECU cover (always a very tricky piece to wrap and it looks great!!!).... wanna trade for my one?? Gave it more flowing sides; eliminating or softening the hard corner along bottom edge.....

Will post a couple of pics when almost complete as the "in process" pictures are never complimentary........

Build thread started.

Last edited by Nachos23; 10-22-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:53 AM   #95
Kotler

My Ride: BMW 330CI
Nachos your car is great. I like it, but I'm very lazy to do all that staff you did with wrapping. Will my interior trim look OK if I wrap them with 3M CF vinyl material or will it su**?
Here is material :http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products...MDINOC300.aspx
Kotler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #96
Nachos23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotler View Post
Nachos your car is great. I like it, but I'm very lazy to do all that staff you did with wrapping. Will my interior trim look OK if I wrap them with 3M CF vinyl material or will it su**?
Here is material :http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products...MDINOC300.aspx
Funny you should picj that site. It was their carbon fibre wrapping video I watched about 100 times before deciding to try my hand @ CF wrapping.

As far as "the look". Definietely asking the wrong person, because I tried the 3M cf vinyl wrap before deciding to go witrh reaf CF. In fact, of all the finishes I tried, the vinyl wrap stayed on the car the LEAST amount of time. I really DON'T like cf vinyl wrap; although I do like the black vinyl wrap in places (doing my roof with gloss black vinyl wrap)..... Some guys really like it; but in my opinion, there is no comparison to the real cf. See posting above in regards to an independent opinion on the matter.

If you're not interested in dong the work, PM me and we can discuss further..... Real Carbon Fiber FTW!!!

Build thread started.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #97
shata

My Ride: 00 328i , 06 330i
I gotta give you props looks really good, Im not really into warping thing but send me pm when you start vacuum bagging parts and there 100% CF Ill definitely have you make few things for me if you want.
shata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #98
Nachos23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shata View Post
I gotta give you props looks really good, Im not really into warping thing but send me pm when you start vacuum bagging parts and there 100% CF Ill definitely have you make few things for me if you want.
Thanks man!! I will be experimenting with vacuum bagging over the next few months as time permits; but vacuum bagging does not imply 100% CF parts; it's just another method to be used for more complex parts. Have considered getting into moulding my own parts, but would need to establish the main stream parts to make moulds for. Couldn't make moulds for every part sent to me unless guys were prepared to pay the extra $$$ for the additional time and materials required to mould parts vs wrapping them which in my opinion looks just as good as the 100% CF parts. In fact they usually fit better becuase moulds need to be refreshed (re-done) regularly to ensure they hold the shape and don't vary; many mfg'rs don't do that frequently enough and that is why we have all the issues with fitment.

It's a matter of time and cost to get setup for vacuum bagging. I see vacuum bagging as a tool that would allow me to wrap even more complex parts effectively. BMW parts have nice lines. Most CF parts "straighten" out the curves as much as possible to minimize the difficulty in producing the moulds and ultimately the resulting parts have lost some their "character". Wrapping is a more difficult process, but maintains all the original features of the part being wrapped....

Build thread started.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #99
vXCONSTANTINEXv
Banned

My Ride: 2001 325i
man how did you take the center console out?that must be a battle in itself
vXCONSTANTINEXv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #100
Nachos23

actually removing centre console is quite easy; just need to be methodical and remove the pieces that secure it and I can get it out in about 10 minutes. 2 screws in front and 4 in reear and it's out!

Build thread started.

Tags
carbon fiber, diy, e46, trim