E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #21
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Sorry to hear it is not working.

What did you try so far?

At best I think someone with a later year car said he spliced the brown/voilet to pin 10 and all the S button did was manually wash the window.

Thats just it. I got my stalk from an e39(I think), moved pin 5 -> 10. Now the button triggers the winshield washer (and pulling it forward no longer works). I have it set to rain sense (and I know its working), I hit the button, it squirts then thats it. That said, I havent driven yet in an enviroment that makes sense for it to go off, so I am not writing it off. I suppose I could have added a pin 10 and spliced to pin 5, but I dont see how that would make a difference. Again, perhaps we should just sit on this till january and see if it works in the snow, there may be more input triggers than just rainsense + button.

Did we ever see a wiring diagram from an e39 or 89 that has it stock?

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #22
MIRoundel

My Ride: E36\5, E46 325ia
Hi delmarco, great thanks for your DIY.

I've just got and S-stalk from eBay and going to install it.

I have a several question to you about the algorithm:
1) Does the *S* mode can be activated only if Rain Sensor is ON? What will happen if you press *S* when the stalk is in *neutral* (nothing is activated, neither rain sensor, no wipers)?
2) Please correct me if I'm wrong. As I've understood correctly when the Rain Sensor is ON and the *S* button is ON wipers and washers are activated by Rain Sensor with the interval defined by the Rain Sensor. This interval could be changed by rotating the Rain Sensor Wheel at the stalk, but each time the Rain Sensor activates the wipers it'll also activate the washers, isn't it?
MIRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #23
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRoundel View Post
Hi delmarco, great thanks for your DIY.

I've just got and S-stalk from eBay and going to install it.

I have a several question to you about the algorithm:
1) Does the *S* mode can be activated only if Rain Sensor is ON? What will happen if you press *S* when the stalk is in *neutral* (nothing is activated, neither rain sensor, no wipers)?
2) Please correct me if I'm wrong. As I've understood correctly when the Rain Sensor is ON and the *S* button is ON wipers and washers are activated by Rain Sensor with the interval defined by the Rain Sensor. This interval could be changed by rotating the Rain Sensor Wheel at the stalk, but each time the Rain Sensor activates the wipers it'll also activate the washers, isn't it?
Yeah S mode triggers the washing function when rain sensor is on. I used the S button today driving thru rain and it worked fine for me. Press S and your windshield gets washed with the blades when Rain Sensor is turned on. Press S when your stalk is neutral just washes the windows once.
Press and hold S down when you stalk is neutral and you get a power wash (I.E the spray to wash your windows is longer and more fluid is squirted until you release S).

For some reason this mod doesn't seem to be working on the face lift cars after 2003 so I can't speak for those cars. I also realized that after 2002 BMW E46 cars with rain sensors come with auto headlight functions that are directly ran off the same system as the rain sensor. Pre-2002 BMWs do not have this option in conjunction with rain sensor so that may be another possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
Thats just it. I got my stalk from an e39(I think), moved pin 5 -> 10. Now the button triggers the winshield washer (and pulling it forward no longer works). I have it set to rain sense (and I know its working), I hit the button, it squirts then thats it. That said, I havent driven yet in an enviroment that makes sense for it to go off, so I am not writing it off. I suppose I could have added a pin 10 and spliced to pin 5, but I dont see how that would make a difference. Again, perhaps we should just sit on this till january and see if it works in the snow, there may be more input triggers than just rainsense + button.

Did we ever see a wiring diagram from an e39 or 89 that has it stock?
Nah I don't have the Bently book for the E39 M5 and E85 X5 these are the only other cars the S function stalk came on. It may have come on the E38 and E83 I can't remember.

I will check.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 10-27-2010 at 08:55 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #24
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I also realized that after 2002 BMW E46 cars with rain sensors come with auto headlight functions that are directly ran off the same system as the rain sensor.
Just to plant a seed for your next mod, the post 2002 RLC is compatible with pre 2002 cars, although the scren mount brackets are not the same.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:14 AM   #25
MIRoundel

jgold47

Could you please make a photo of your old stalk at the back with pins like this photo of delmarco?

At the weekend I'm going to install the S stalk but now I'm a bit confused.

I've investigated and found that basic stalk without *S* button 61 31 8 363 664 is used from 1999 up to 2005 according to the BMW ETK.

61 31 8 375 407 *S* stalk is used only with E39 and E38 up to 2003 - last year of e39 production.
61 31 8 375 408 *S* stalk is also used in E39 and X5 up to 2005 year of production.

Last edited by MIRoundel; 10-28-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #26
jgold47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRoundel View Post
jgold47

Could you please make a photo of your old stalk at the back with pins like this photo of delmarco?

At the weekend I'm going to install the S stalk but now I'm a bit confused.

I've investigated and found that basic stalk without *S* button 61 31 8 363 664 is used from 1999 up to 2005 according to the BMW ETK.

61 31 8 375 407 *S* stalk is used only with E39 and E38 up to 2003 - last year of e39 production.
61 31 8 375 408 *S* stalk is also used in E39 and X5 up to 2005 year of production.

Sorry, I just saw this post. mine looks the same as delmarco. I didnt realize there are two different years of stalks. I have a 407 stalk. perhaps thats why it doesnt do anything?

my about me link

Old 11-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #27
MIRoundel

I've made an installation.
Just plugged the *S* stalk without any pins changing.
Everything works the same like it was before, *S* button doesn't work.
Pin10 is free in connector and I need to decide what pin to swap into the 10.

Here is the picture of my connector.

Last edited by MIRoundel; 11-08-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #28
jgold47

which # stalk did you use?

my about me link

Old 11-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #29
MIRoundel

# 61 31 8 375 407. Came from 2002 E39 530i.

Everything works the same like it was before installation, but, of course, *S* button does nothing.
The problem is that pin10 is free in my connector.

I need to find out what pin I should add to the connector or change.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #30
jgold47

same as me. I moved pin 5 to pin 10 per delmarco's post. all this has done insofar is move the windshield cleaning function from pulling the lever, to the s-button. I am probably going to move that back in the spring (hoping someone comes up with the correct answer before). I am not giving up hope yet, still waiting for the right conditions to test this out in. Also, a bently or diagram for an e39 that has this stock would be helpful, to see where that pin ties into on a car that it comes with on. FWIW I didnt see anything in GT1/DIS for retrofitting it (which may have been needed to enable this...)

my about me link

Old 11-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #31
MIRoundel

jgold47

I'll try to investigate BMW WDS.

I have another elegant solution for the *S* button that I was thinking since I've bought the car.

It's really annoying that headlight washers are activated automatically with windscreen washers when the light is ON. I was thinking of moving the headlight washers to the separate button and now we have this button on the wipers stalk.

But I need to think HOW
Old 11-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #32
jgold47

I know the hard way. The button just triggers the ground side of a relay. You would have to separate the headlight nozzles from the regular nozzles (probably cut the wires at the nozzles. Then just wire up a relay set to trigger off pin 10 in the stalk. That I know would work, just wiring it would be a *****.

my about me link

Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #33
jgold47

Another thought - you cant just retrofit a OBC stalk (everything will work except the OBC functions) without recoding it to your car. Any thoughts that maybe somehow the SIW function has to be enabled/disabled in the cars' VO on the e39's that this comes stock on? If we agree that the functionality of that feature is contained within the stalk and not the car, does it need to be enabled on an E46?

Of course this doesnt explain why delmarco got it to work and no one else has been able to?

my about me link

Old 01-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #34
enigmaniac

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP
My crazy GF went Lorena Bobbit on my stalk so I'll be attempting to replace it myself when the new one arrives in the mail. Thanks for the writeup!
enigmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #35
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Used to have an X5 with this button... it didn't seem to do anything fancy like wash the windshield at certain intervals or when it got dirty. All it did for me was spray the windshield and headlight washers 3 times. Wouldn't do anything again until the button was pressed.

If it is indeed a function controlled by the rain sensor, that should be easy enough to code (E38, E39, and E46 all use the same rain sensor for each respective year). Not sure what to do if the wire is missing though

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-08-2011 at 07:38 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #36
jgold47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Used to have an X5 with this button... it didn't seem to do anything fancy like wash the windshield at certain intervals or when it got dirty. All it did for me was spray the windshield and headlight washers 3 times. Wouldn't do anything again until the button was pressed.

If it is indeed a function controlled by the rain sensor, that should be easy enough to code (E38, E39, and E46 all use the same rain sensor for each respective year). Not sure what to do if the wire is missing though
Yeah - its a tough one, but candidly probably not worth it. There must be a reason pre face cars can get it to work and post face cannot. Maybe its a trim level thing too. Either way, I am going to pull and sell mine in the spring. Better to let someone else try, and now I find the pushing the button instead of pulling the stalk annoying

my about me link

Old 02-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #37
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm
Hey Olaf, are you absolutely certain the function works for you? If so, can you trace where your pin10 goes?

I've been doing some searching on the WDS about that "S" stalk. The E39 diagram indicates that pin10 from the stalk goes to pin 16 on "X254" connector of the E39s GM. That pin 16 is specifically designed to receive the special wash signal, which then propagates signals to the appropriate modules.

As far as I can tell, an equivalent pin doesn't exist on the E46... but if yours came prewired and everything works, then it must exist. If you can find out where that wire is going, that'd be awesome!
Yeah I realized after I did the write up that pre-3/2003 cars seem to be wired different concerning rain sensor and wiper functions.

On my car I don't remember the wire# but basically all the DIY does is tap the S button pin 10 wire coming out the stalk to the wire # that the rain sensor is connected to so when the rain sensor mode is on and it senses rain,then you push S and it activates the wash function at 5 wipe intervals in conjunction with the wipers being activated automatically from sensing rain. S will ONLY work with rain sensor cars and seems to so far only to be working on premium package pre- 3/2003 cars with rain sensor. I'm not sure how the post 3/2003 cars are different but the bentley diagrams show there is a difference.

On the E39 and X5 the S function is more direct and independant from those car's Rain Sensor system. On the euro E39 and X5 and some USA cars it ONLY serves to access a seperate washer tank and/or separate high powered nozzle jet to power wash the windows and headlamps during winter driving.

On th E46 all I did was tap S into the rain sensor -> wiper blade ON wiring. In all honesty "I'm not exactly sure how and why it works but it seems to" (That is actually a famous Einstien quote when he discovered, but couldn't explain, the Lambda constant that balanced his modified field equation)

Oh and one other important thing S doesn't automatically work on its own you have to push it on while the Rain Sensor mode is on. Otherwise with S not pushed you will not get your windows washed automatically.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #38
Elwin

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Hi,

I got this thingy with S button on for like $20 and installed it today. My idea was to use the S button to force the blades to wipe (same as when you press the handle all the way down ) without switching off the automatic mode (rain sensor based) by moving handle.

I soldered additional wire to existing pin 1 wire while keeping pin 1 as it was (forked pin1 signal to pin10). Now when auto mode is disabled, then S button just activates wipers in the same way as if you press handle down all the way. When the automatic (rain sensor based) mode is enabled, pressing of the S button activates maximum speed wiping (as if handle would be moved all the way up). This forced wiping happening only while you hold the S. When S is released car returns into auto mode. Also now I can keep the handle in auto mode all the time and after car restart, to re-activate automatic wipers I just need to press S once.

As to me this is the best way to utilize the S in my E46 with rain sensor. Also when installing I have noticed that S button is not just on/off thing. It has variable resistance from about 60 to about 15 Ohms depending on how hard you press it, so it is actually quite a cool button, unfortunately as for now I just cannot figure out any better use for it than described above

Thanks for attention!

P.S. One thing for sure - now car does look better than before - more buttons

Last edited by Elwin; 03-10-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #39
Elwin

My Ride: 330i ZHP
My installation..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110310_DSC2218.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	396070   Click image for larger version

Name:	20110310_DSC2220.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	396071  
Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #40
MIRoundel

Elwin, great solution. I'm going to use the S button like you already did.
Since e36 I'm really bored to press handle down all the way to activate wipers.