E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.63 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #41
maqtu

My Ride: 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Yeah I realized after I did the write up that pre-3/2003 cars seem to be wired different concerning rain sensor and wiper functions.

On my car I don't remember the wire# but basically all the DIY does is tap the S button pin 10 wire coming out the stalk to the wire # that the rain sensor is connected to so when the rain sensor mode is on and it senses rain,then you push S and it activates the wash function at 5 wipe intervals in conjunction with the wipers being activated automatically from sensing rain. S will ONLY work with rain sensor cars and seems to so far only to be working on premium package pre- 3/2003 cars with rain sensor. I'm not sure how the post 3/2003 cars are different but the bentley diagrams show there is a difference.

On the E39 and X5 the S function is more direct and independant from those car's Rain Sensor system. On the euro E39 and X5 and some USA cars it ONLY serves to access a seperate washer tank and/or separate high powered nozzle jet to power wash the windows and headlamps during winter driving.

On th E46 all I did was tap S into the rain sensor -> wiper blade ON wiring. In all honesty "I'm not exactly sure how and why it works but it seems to" (That is actually a famous Einstien quote when he discovered, but couldn't explain, the Lambda constant that balanced his modified field equation)

Oh and one other important thing S doesn't automatically work on its own you have to push it on while the Rain Sensor mode is on. Otherwise with S not pushed you will not get your windows washed automatically.
Hello Delmarco
I install in my e46 323CI year 2000, light/rain sensor and works fine.
Now I want install stalk with S function and my car don´t have wire in pin 10.
Could you tell me, the pin 10 where connects in my car, to general module controll unit? What pin ?
maqtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #42
mwstewart

My Ride: E46 M3 SMG Coupé
I just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else, like I, attempts it and finds out it won't work as intended. The correct wiring, for the E39 at least, is as follows:

Pre 03/99 = Switch pin 6 to pin 16 of connector X332 on the General Module.
Post 03/99 = Switch pin 10 to pin 16 of connector X332 on the General Module.

The wire colour is Black/Grey in both cases.

X332 is a 26pin connector on the right hand side of the GM, at the opposite end to a slide-locking 16pin connector full of high-amperage wires.

Intensive Wash was to my knowledge never fitted to the E46 so connection to pin 16 on the GM should be attempted at your own risk.

I will update when I have experimented.

Last edited by mwstewart; 05-14-2013 at 07:40 AM.
mwstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #43
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
E39 has a GM3 and E46 has a GM5. Both have different pinouts. I don't think intensive wash is an option -- unless some other car that shares our GM5s has the feature
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #44
mwstewart

My Ride: E46 M3 SMG Coupé
I can confirm that grounding pin 16 opens the right hand side rear quarter window, so this mod is a no-go.
mwstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #45
emeni09

My Ride: 320i M54 '01
Maybe I'm not reading it correctly, but in a 2001 E46 where is the S-button supposed to be wired to for the intensive wash? I've read this topic as many times as I could, but since some of the pictures are missing and only 1 person managed to make it work, I can't figure it out how to connect it.
can anyone help me out?
emeni09 is offline   Reply With Quote