E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
inertia

My Ride: E46
Power steering Hoses : quick questions before DIY

Just about to replace the power steering hoses on my 2000 323i since it's leaking at the seals. ( crimped clamps )

Before : Notice oil drips on the pipes and boot

here's my plan of so far:

1) Empty the power steering fluid using this DIY
http://www.dvatp.com/bmw/diy/power_steering_flush/

2) Replace power steering hoses ( more details will follow once this is complete)

3) Refill Power steering ATF fluid.

questions:
1) can someone point out the PS drain bolt in the following pictures

2) here are the parts I have ( + worm clamps not pictures ):

The one on the LEFT goes into the cooling coil from the PS reservoir.. it has a metal connector on it which "clicks ?" into the metal cooling coil in front of the radiator. is this something I can change out by myself? I know these are high pressure hoses and i don't want to mess it up

will post pictures of the changeout once i start. car is on jacks right now

Thanks
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
cimbali

My Ride: 323i
Loosen the banjo fitting (not the plastic elbow) and pull it out from the pump, make sure you have a pan under the pump. There is also a rubber o-ring at this fitting which should be changed as well. The hoses to the cooling coil are easy to swap out. If you dont have any special tools just use an open end wrench to push in the plastic part of the connection while pushing the metal part of the fitting towards the radiator.
cimbali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
inertia

OK so I just came back from the (partial ?) DIY..

I REALLY could have used your advice about getting the metal fitting off..
I used several open ended wrenches but couldnt get the leverage to push in the plastic fitting.. this took the longest time by far.

As of right now.. I've replaced the longer hose (reservoir -> pump). I could NOT get the metal fitting off so I wasn't able to replace that pipe.

More questions:

I opened the 22mm Fitting at the PS pump only to find a 17mm hollow nut underneath. I removed that as well, but nothing came out here's a picture:

why is nothing coming out? this is obviously not the drain bolt.. i'm confused.

so where exactly is the Banjo bolt that drains the PS pump?

in all, I replaced about 0.75 quarts of PS fluid, ONE PS pump and 3 crimped clamps with worm clamps.

Did I miss anything?

here are some more pictures of the process..

Airbox Removed, plastic covering belts

Can't get this stupid Fitting off!!

almost done.. note the new clamps in place

some advice: change your PS reservior since the filter collects iron filings which quickly contaminate the PS fluid.. this is on my to-do list for next time.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimbali View Post
Loosen the banjo fitting (not the plastic elbow) and pull it out from the pump, make sure you have a pan under the pump. There is also a rubber o-ring at this fitting which should be changed as well. The hoses to the cooling coil are easy to swap out. If you dont have any special tools just use an open end wrench to push in the plastic part of the connection while pushing the metal part of the fitting towards the radiator.
after reading this a second time.. i guess the banjo fitting on on the PUMP itself hmm.. so clearly i was playing with the wrong fitting initially.

so if i loosen this fitting and let it drain out can i then start the car with the fitting off and continue to replenish the PS fluid getting pumped out? or is this REALLY high pressure?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:10 AM   #5
LI_BIMMER

My Ride: 2000 - i, 2003 X5
No advice to offer you but I wanted to say Thank You for taking the time out to post this. My hose is also leaking from the clamp that connects to the back of the PS pump and this is my next job to do. What did the hoses run you?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #6
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
P/S hoses

Contact ruben@desertmotorworks.com for prices

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
cimbali

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia View Post
after reading this a second time.. i guess the banjo fitting on on the PUMP itself hmm.. so clearly i was playing with the wrong fitting initially.

so if i loosen this fitting and let it drain out can i then start the car with the fitting off and continue to replenish the PS fluid getting pumped out? or is this REALLY high pressure?
yes, the banjo fitting is at the pump and requires a 17mm wrench. I am not sure about the steering rack as I didnt need to mess with it when I replaced my ps pump. once you loosen the banjo bolt you need to pull the metal part of the hose out from the pump. Some force may be needed.

I wouldnt start the car with the hoses not connected as you may bust your pump. If you want to ensure all the fluid is out maybe try turing the steering wheel lock to lock with the car off and on front jack stands. But just letting it drain should be suffcient.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
cimbali

Quote:

This connection is definetly a pain the first time around. You need to grasp the metal part and push it towards the FRONT of the car to relieve tension so the plastic part can be push towards the BACK of the car to unclip from the cooler lines. Take a look at this fitting on your new hose to get a sense of how it works. I found it very easy to use an open end wrench to push the plastic part back.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimbali View Post
This connection is definetly a pain the first time around. You need to grasp the metal part and push it towards the FRONT of the car to relieve tension so the plastic part can be push towards the BACK of the car to unclip from the cooler lines. Take a look at this fitting on your new hose to get a sense of how it works. I found it very easy to use an open end wrench to push the plastic part back.
Perhaps the only thing i didn't think of doing was to do was force the metal part towards the FRONT of the car while pushing in the plastic part in. BTW would you happen to have pictures of this banjo fitting? I'm afraid i messed with some adjustment knob on the rack thinking it was the drain bolt.

As per instructions http://www.dvatp.com/bmw/diy/power_steering_flush/ I moved steering wheel lock-to-lock about 10 times or so, which did release some fluid but not much. How much fluid is this system supposed to hold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI_BIMMER View Post
No advice to offer you but I wanted to say Thank You for taking the time out to post this. My hose is also leaking from the clamp that connects to the back of the PS pump and this is my next job to do. What did the hoses run you?
Glad my frustrations were fruitful for others. I got my hoses from Tischer BMW.
shorter metal hose was $46 and the longer one was ~$23.

my PS reserviour lid does NOT have an o-ring on it as per RealOEM diagram.. possibly why theres so much oil gunk buildup around the reservoir
Old 12-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
Tom Busby

My Ride: 2001 325i, 1995 318i
I suggest that you buy a "fuel line disconnect tool set" which is set of 6-7 plastic rings that snap over the quick disconnect plastic ring and inside the metal pipe. Cost is about $12. While it is possible to finesse the clip off most times it just isn't, without the tool.

Also buy some worm gear clamps from NAPA (the only place I could find them) that have an extra metal band under the worm gear, which prevents the worm gear from cutting into the rubber hose. These clamps allow you to put alot more clamping pressure onto a hose so it won't leak.
Tom Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:11 PM   #11
inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
I suggest that you buy a "fuel line disconnect tool set" which is set of 6-7 plastic rings that snap over the quick disconnect plastic ring and inside the metal pipe. Cost is about $12. While it is possible to finesse the clip off most times it just isn't, without the tool.

Also buy some worm gear clamps from NAPA (the only place I could find them) that have an extra metal band under the worm gear, which prevents the worm gear from cutting into the rubber hose. These clamps allow you to put alot more clamping pressure onto a hose so it won't leak.
That's solid advice.. I'll definitely look for this tool.. By looking at the pictures i posted. are they not worm clamps that I used? I thought they were.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #12
djacs1

My Ride: 2001 325i
I could not open your posted pics to see what new clampsyou used, but Tom Busby is refereing to hose clamps that are made with an extra metal band between the worm and the rubber hoseand slightly rolled edges to avoid cutting the rubber hose. i used and they can definately help. pelicanparts.com has lots of these and most BMW dealers also.

BTW, nice pics. i did not understand what the "banjo bolt" at the pump was before these. i have not tried removing this PITA hose fitting either but i learned from your thread. thx.
djacs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #13
GWU_Greek
Banned

My Ride: 325
did you also replace your PS resorvoir. you might as well because the resorvoir has a built in filter in the bottom
GWU_Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #14
inertia

Glad this thread comes in handy for others.

As of right now i still have the PS return hose to replace..after i get the "fuel line disconnect tool"

Also I will be replacing the reservoir as well.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:11 AM   #15
Cheezemurda

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I have this exact same leak and need to fix it. Thx for the info on that metal piece.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #16
JudgeSmails

My Ride: '01 330 Ci
Quote:
OK so I just came back from the (partial ?) DIY..

I REALLY could have used your advice about getting the metal fitting off..
I used several open ended wrenches but couldnt get the leverage to push in the plastic fitting.. this took the longest time by far.

As of right now.. I've replaced the longer hose (reservoir -> pump). I could NOT get the metal fitting off so I wasn't able to replace that pipe.

More questions:

I opened the 22mm Fitting at the PS pump only to find a 17mm hollow nut underneath. I removed that as well, but nothing came out here's a picture:

why is nothing coming out? this is obviously not the drain bolt.. i'm confused.

so where exactly is the Banjo bolt that drains the PS pump?

in all, I replaced about 0.75 quarts of PS fluid, ONE PS pump and 3 crimped clamps with worm clamps.

Did I miss anything?

here are some more pictures of the process..

Airbox Removed, plastic covering belts

almost done.. note the new clamps in place

some advice: change your PS reservior since the filter collects iron filings which quickly contaminate the PS fluid.. this is on my to-do list for next time.
I have to change my pump and a hose. In the picture above, the hose on the right/directly underneath the reservoir is the radiator return line (32411094951)? It's the shorter hose with the metal thing on the end?
JudgeSmails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:40 AM   #17
vt951

My Ride: 1999 323i
Here are the part numbers for the Balkamp "lined" hose clamps from NAPA:

Part No. | Desc. | Qty | Price (ea) | Price (total)

BK 7051051 | Hose Clamp, 5/8" - 3/4"; Lined Hose Clamp | 1 | $2.29 | $2.29
(for left hose in picture below)

BK 7051052 | Hose Clamp, 3/4" - 1"; Lined Hose Clamp | 2 | $2.29 | $4.58
(for right hose in picture below)

Quote:

2) here are the parts I have ( + worm clamps not pictures ):

The one on the LEFT goes into the cooling coil from the PS reservoir.. it has a metal connector on it which "clicks ?" into the metal cooling coil in front of the radiator. is this something I can change out by myself? I know these are high pressure hoses and i don't want to mess it up

Last edited by vt951; 11-12-2008 at 05:46 AM.
vt951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #18
tmckinl

My Ride: Jet Black 1999 328i
Send a message via ICQ to tmckinl
hose clamp question

same problem. How do you get the crimped on hose clamps off?
tmckinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #19
NoVaDreier

My Ride: 2001 325i
This line disconnect tool is what you need.
NoVaDreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #20
juicemanjunior

My Ride: 323its
any luck with the hoses....im working on mine
juicemanjunior is offline   Reply With Quote