E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
unchained

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Car Toolkit

Hi all,

I'm new to the home repair scene and was wanting to make a toolkit to keep with my car aside from the one in the trunk lid. I'm a little overwhelmed with the sheer number of tools and sizes, brands, all that so I wanted to poll you guys and see what you all recommend as must-have tools to keep with these cars should anything happen on the road or just as the essential kit for doing most repairs with.

I'm not stranger to repair in general but due to apartment life I only have one of those $20 all-in-ones that Walmart sells and it isn't the best quality to begin with.

So, what say you? What's required, what's good to have, and what's just plain unnecessary (except for those jobs that happen once in a blue moon but, you're glad to have it when it happens)?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
EXNoodle

My Ride: 330CI
Send a message via AIM to EXNoodle
I prefer to purchase high quality used tools. A standard metric set is a good start. After there, I would suggest waiting for a repair/project, and getting the tools you need as you perform the repair/project.

The DIY's here do cover the tools you need, which is very helpful. I always pick up used quality tools as I need them from Craigslist or on here.

Many brands to choose from certainly, I have a Craftsman set that I started with 16 years ago, and it still works well. Certainly Snap-On or similar is great, but I always felt I would not use it enough for that high quality level.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:43 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Just to add a bit. Cheap tools are never a bargain. They will fail you when you need it most. Also, they can damage the car's hardware as they aren't made to proper tolerances, and the tools' metal isn't up to snuff. Buy Craftsman when it's on sale. As noted, the best deal is to buy kits of tools such as a kit containing sockets, ratchets and wrenches.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #4
iowna330xi

My Ride: is fast.
Craftsman is a great starter set of you're not working on cars 24/7. Most of their hand tools have lifetime warranty and I've replaced tools without questions asked. Those starter 50 pc or even more are a huge help. They even come in carrying cases which will help transportation

The most helpful "tool" I have is a pipe. I can't even begin to tell you how many stuck bolts I've loosened with the help of a pipe. They work wonders

Last edited by iowna330xi; 02-04-2016 at 09:39 PM.
iowna330xi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:33 AM   #5
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Good question. I'm sure everyone has their own personal take on this topic.

Here's mine:

First and foremost keep your maintenance up to date. No one wants to have to make a cross country road trip with a leaky VCG, or a failing fuel pump, or a airbag/check engine light on.

But let's say I had to drive 1500 miles tomorrow morning. What would I like to have in the trunk? Here's my list:

Tires:
12 v Tire air pump
A can of fix a flat
A good quality air pressure gage.

Emergency maintenance:
1 qt of M1 0w-40 oil.
Spare serpentine and A/C belts
Fan nut removal wrench - since I have an automatic.
A set of metric sockets in 3/8" drive.
Small wire cutters and needle nose pliers
A set of torx bits - mainly a T25 and a T30
A gallon of water and a gallon of BMW coolant since you can't get it at AutoZone.

LED headlamp
Road flares - cuz you should never underestimate the ability to make fire.
Blue nitrile gloves and mechanix gloves.
An OBD scanner
An air bag light scanner/reset tool
Bentley manual

Misc - cuz you never know:
Duct tape
Roll of plastic wrap or tarp.

Hope that's not too much but actually I carry most of that in my trunk on a daily basis. The BMW tools in the trunk are more or less useless for actually working on the car - except for the screwdrivers and lug wrench.

BMW Wiki: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:49 AM   #6
Mflara20

My Ride: 04 330i
/\
That's a pretty good car tool kit.
I usually just check my spare tire air pressure.
Air pressure gage
Pliers
Lamp
Coolant
Oil
OBD app
And maintenance up to date

I'm getting a 12v air pump
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #7
Gus-CO

My Ride: 323ci
I keep a box of those little noodles for "temporary" repairing a flat. Fix-a-flat makes a mess inside the tire. The tire shop will likely charge you extra to clean it out when you get there. It will damage tire pressure monitors if you car has them.

Putting a noodle in a tire is very easy and you don't need to take the wheel out either (you might need to raise the car, though). And come on, what are the chances of having two flats in a 1500mile trip? because for the first one you just use your spare!

As for the belts. If I am afraid enough to carry one I should have the currently installed belt changed anyway.
Gus-CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #8
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus-CO View Post
I keep a box of those little noodles for "temporary" repairing a flat. Fix-a-flat makes a mess inside the tire. The tire shop will likely charge you extra to clean it out when you get there. It will damage tire pressure monitors if you car has them.

Putting a noodle in a tire is very easy and you don't need to take the wheel out either (you might need to raise the car, though). And come on, what are the chances of having two flats in a 1500mile trip? because for the first one you just use your spare!

As for the belts. If I am afraid enough to carry one I should have the currently installed belt changed anyway.
Thanks for the info! I'll add some noodles to my kit.

BMW Wiki: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
unchained

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate the input and I'll get working on picking up a few of these at a time.