E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
2003zhp

My Ride: 03 330i zhp 02 330xi
oem shocks vrs blistien sports with h&r springs on xi

the ride quality was way smoother with oem shocks and h&r springs on the xi until i blew my shocks.

now i replaced the shocks with blistien sports and h&r springs and my ride is way harsher than before. i feel every bump.

is this normal? is there a better shock to smoothen out the ride?

thanks
2003zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:10 AM   #2
e36-2.0

My Ride: 330xi
koni has adjustable dampening shocks that could help you. bilsteins are normally quite firm and you likely wont feel any changes in your ride

'02 330xi
Konigsport/Ground Control/DPE/BMW Motorsport/Eurosport/Turner Motorsport/PowerFlex/RacingDynamics/Hotchkis/UUC/Beisan/Bimmerworld/Dinan/Conforti/RPI/GroupN/Technik/Dynavin

Alberta's BMW enthusiast forum.
-Projecttechnik.com
e36-2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
qdessa

My Ride: e46 + 2002
Sports are stiff

Sports are super stiff. Probably too stiff for a daily driver. I have them on one car and it's difficult to drink coffee without spilling it over bumps.

They're good on the track though....
qdessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Preferred xi setups are Koni/Eibach, BilsteinHD/stocksprings, Dinan.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
BM_M54

My Ride: 03 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to BM_M54
Thats funny someone mentioned this. I just got bilstein sports with H&R sport springs (not race), and it dropped about 3/4" or so, not too bad. However the ride is much firmer, maybe slightly too firm for a daily driver but it's manageable. Maybe because this is my first week with them that I'm saying they're ok, maybe after a while I will be annoyed by them, not sure. Yes too firm for drinking coffee...but now when I take exits off the highway for example I barely feel sharp turns now, the roll has significantly reduced.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
xi_ter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003zhp View Post
...now i replaced the shocks with blistien sports and h&r springs and my ride is way harsher than before. i feel every bump.

is this normal? is there a better shock to smoothen out the ride?
You aren't the first to notice this is a very firm set up on xi's ^^. I installed the Koni Yellow/ Eibach set up and it has the smoothness on OEM with much better handling. I would replace the springs with Eibach ProKits and see if that is better.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
am i the only one who doesnt mind the H&R with bilstein sport setup? i bought the car with 50kmi, and now im at 100kmi. so i guess i just didnt know how bad my oem setup was compared to you guys. It is firmer but its not punishing at all. Upstate NY roads are horrible, but its not bad at all. its sporty.. my buddies saab 9-3 aero feels the same.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
MiniXP

My Ride: 01 325xi
I have the same set up. They did get slightly softer over time, but don't expect any huge difference. In CT the roads are pretty bad and people in the back seats seem to have a much harsher ride. When I'm at school in NC the roads are a lot better and no one really complains about the ride there, so it's pretty much just potholes that make it too rough.

Overall I think the rougher ride is worth it for the big reduction in body roll.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Many say the B-Sports are harsher than the B-HDs. HDs and Sports are more harsh than OEM shocks overall, which are the SACHS, even when paired with OEM springs. I believe that f you get the B-Sports, you need to ahve lowered springs as the Sport shock is shorter than the HD shock.

I've got Bilstein HDs in the mail for delivery (can't wait!). I'm pairing them with OEM non-sport springs. I'll let you know how they ride once they arrive and I have them installed.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
mr_xi

My Ride: e46 330xi
i have just put on bilstein sport and h&r lowering springs on my car about 3 weeks ago. to say there are pro's and con's. the ride comfort is just too firm, feel all the little bumps, gives me a headache. planning on getting me some eibach pro and see how that goes. but on the country roads down here in nc, it feels awesome, it hugs all the turns.
mr_xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
I have stock shocks on H&R Sport springs. I could give a crap about the handling. I just want a softer ride with a drop. My ride is waaaay too rough now.

What should I get, go back to stock? Dinan? Something else?
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
I have stock shocks on H&R Sport springs. I could give a crap about the handling. I just want a softer ride with a drop. My ride is waaaay too rough now.

What should I get, go back to stock? Dinan? Something else?
Eibach springs will be much more comfy, but not as low as H&R.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
330xie46

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330xi
blistien sport and h&r here to. it is a harsher ride over a crappy road. i might try the eibach pro kit myself.
330xie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #14
330exeye

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Is the ride with H&R sports that bad? I've heard Race is almost unbearable but Sports should be a pretty good compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Reminisce View Post
It is indeed called E46fanatics, not E46wellthiscarisokthewayitissowhymodit
330exeye is offline   Reply With Quote