E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
CalE46xi

My Ride: 3 pedals Xi
Send a message via AIM to CalE46xi
Sealed trunk is Muting my bass

Hey guys.
Not sure if this is where im suppose to post. I'm not use to the site yet.

I have 2 12's in my trunk. I have them cranked up to the point where my trunk is a beehive, and its too much!
However i can't head the bass in the cab.
BMW did a reaaaally good job at sounds deadening the trunk/cab!

My back seat does NOT have the ski pass thru. The wall behind the seat is solid. witha few punch thrus (such as the ski pass)

Is there any way to vent the trunk into the cab?
CalE46xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 190k
My e30 had a port drilled in the middle of the rear deck. Looked cool and worked well but I haven't seen anything like that on an e46 yet.

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
Orion329

My Ride: MKV GTI
when you say you don't have the ski pass, do you mean you don't have the built-in door that allows for easy access? i had the standard sheet metal with perforations behind my back seats and as most people do with their e46's that don't have the built-in ski passes, i used a hammer to pound it out. some people have simply sat in the back of their cars facing the rear and kicked it out. it is well worth doing if you want some more sound coming through to the cabin.

removing the rear deck speakers and the stock lining below them is also an option. when i removed them at one point there was huge difference for me in getting bass up front. you'll lose your rear fill, but it's the least invasive way to port your trunk to the cabin.

your last option would be to drill holes into the rear deck's metal. it's not necessarily a great idea though.

what direction are your woofers firing? towards the back or front? have you tried changing the orientation?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
Xclusv Autosports
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Smart car
Just build a bandpass box and port it thru the rear deck. Most of the systems we design are that way. It will eliminate trunk rattle and give you a good amount of output into the car.
Xclusv Autosports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
325i2002sound

My Ride: 325i 2002
Cut a hole in the rear deck and cover it with a speaker grill. You can paint the grill so that it matches the interior color.
325i2002sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
dtrog325i

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
I think im a little late on posting this, but just in case you havent done anything about your problem yet, i would like to give a suggestion.
If you fold down your armrest in the back seat, you should see a felt flap. Fold that down and you will see a rubber wall. That wall is free-cut with slits to take that out. All you have to do is literally pull up on it and it will come right out. Then ounch the metal wall out with a hammer and flathead screwsdriver.
If you do this, you should have enough space for the bass to travel into the cabin. I have seen a number of people who do this, and it seems to work pretty good.
dtrog325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
steveknoke

My Ride: VW TDI
I have the same issue. I have a solid steel wall. no pass through or arm rest access. It is eating my bass alive. I am going to try the port idea. Just not sure where yet.
steveknoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Samito [e46]

My Ride: 2000 323i
you'll need to open up the ski pass
i have two 12s and i think its too much
one 12 or one 15 is enough