E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #181
tinkwithanr

My Ride: '00 323i + '75 2002
Niiiiiiice, I bet that's the one they built from 'scratch' a few years ago using the reproduction parts bmw still makes.

http://www.motortrend.com/classic/ro...i/viewall.html

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now
tinkwithanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #182
tinkwithanr

Got some more work done on the manifolds. I'm not completely happy with how they turned out, and so I may end up casting another set, but this time as one complete 6 runner manifold as opposed to three dual runner manifolds. This would help to cut down on some of the machining issues I ran into. Also, I need to pick up a proper bit for machining the stud faces. I was able to get them done, but it's not as clean as I want the final product to be. That being said these will let me mock up the rest of the intake system and engine bay for now.

These are how they looked cast:

In the process of machining:

The fist test fit onto my spare 885 head:

And finally some pictures of it bolted up in the engine bay:

I still need to finish the oil return line. It will probably just consist of welding a little more material and then either machining out the hole stock style or an AN fitting and running a line down to the block. Another thing I noticed is the intake system will most likely take up all the engine bay room above the steering column, which in turn means the stock brake booster definitely won't be going back in place. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do for the brake system yet, I like the idea of the stock dual circuit system but it adds a lot of complexity.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:13 AM   #183
///power

My Ride: M3
Wow, great work!

'06 E60 ///M5 SMG AW/Black - Sold
'02 E46 ///M3 6 Speed TiAg/Black - Sold :(
'98 E36 ///M3 Estoril Blue - History
///power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #184
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Awesome Project!
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #185
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Damn very nice work.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #186
tinkwithanr

Now that I'm out of school I've been able to really dive in over the past week. I can't begin to say how nice it is to actually being working on some of the stuff that's been floating around in my head for the past year. It's hard to believe I started really taking her apart last January, it's almost been a year since I last drop her . Should be worth it in the end though. But anyway, enough reminiscing, onto the progress.

Never realized how many parts I've accumulated over the past year, there is a lot of crap that goes into a car lol.

First I got the block bolted up to the engine stand. I also ordered the gaskets and bearings so hopefully I can put that together sometime in the next few weeks. Also, I was going to primer and paint the block in anticipation of assembling it but then decided to wait until next week when the weather would be warmer. The building isn't well insulated so the recent cold temps would have kept the paint from curing. As it sits it's patiently awaiting it's new lease on life:

I also took the time to order the radiator from Summit Racing. Sadly it hasn't come in yet, so I'm waiting to mock up the rest of the engine bay. However I did start on making my removable front clip, a.k.a. I cut off the front clip. My plan is to gut the inside of the original nose to make room for my larger radiator and other misc. The radiator itself will mount to a new tube structure so that the nose can be taken to give more access to the engine bay. The front tube structure will also tie into a minimal interior roll cage and the rear shock towers.
Looks a lot roomier without the front panel:

The next thing I tackled was to get my new seat mounts drilled and mount the seats back up. Unlike the original Recaro mounts, these utilize the stock '02 sliders and let the seats sit roughly an inch and a half lower in the car. Sadly I forgot to get pictures of the mounts, but I'll be sure to show them when I take them back out for powder coat. The only issue with the lower seating position is that the steering wheel now felt a lot higher. So I took some 0.75" aluminum plate I had and machined a spacer to go between the steering column and the dash mount. This dropped the steering wheel the perfect amount. Here's the mount intstalled:

With the new seat mounts and steering wheel position figured out I put the e46 e-brake handle in place. To do this I cut off the original mounts for the '02 handle, and then welded in a flat plate with the correct mounting studs. The e46 handle just bolts down in place, with the stock brake cables running up from the stock location.

About 2.5" of clearance between the handle and the shift assembly. Plenty of room...

With the rest of the interior pretty much figured out I wanted to start working on the custom dashboard. I've always liked the look of the stock '02 dashboard, but also missed the 'driver-centric' aspect that the 3 series dashboard have. I also really like how the 'hood' of the dashboard on the original M1 extends over the center of the dashboard. So taking all that into consideration I began cutting into a perfectly good, if not a little cracked dashboard.

Another original dash I have for comparison's sake:

The original M1 for inspiration:

What followed was a mixture of cutting, cursing, mdf dust, old german plastic and foam dust, and some screws. I also cannibalized a 'hood' from a 3-piece dash I got on ebay a while back. And while there is still a very long ways to go I'm pretty happy with the progress. The finished product will be finished with some bondo to smooth the seams, and if necessary some fiberglass. In the end I really want it to look like it could have come from the factory like that, just with more room for gauges and other cool things like that.

View from the Drivers Seat:

View from the Passenger Side:

The MDF back structure, this will be covered with bondo/fiberglass to smooth it out into the stock dash:

Smoothing the stock dash lines into the new center console plate:

This really shows how the console will be angled towards the driver:

That's all for now, hope to get back into it later next week or after the holidays.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #187
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
cool
Old 12-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #188
.::M::.

My Ride: DTM M3 / ROVER / DUC
Great project mate - Do want a 2002 badly for the wife...she obsesses a bit
Old 12-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #189
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Cool Update
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #190
tinkwithanr

Been a while since the last update, for both good and bad reasons. Shortly after Christmas my girlfriend came into town for a week during her winter bread from Stanford (the good). Then two weeks ago my grandfather passed away (the bad). He served his country, started a very successful business and was a great friend, husband, father and grandfather.

But between all that happening I haven't had any time to really work on the car. I have been able to make some improvements to the work space though, and so I thought I would share those until I get back to the grindstone.

The first area that needed attention was the lighting in the room. When the previous tenants moved out, the only working light fixtures were 1 metal halide and 3 fluorescent bulbs. That really doesn't cut it in a 40'x60' room. So I ordered 6 T5HO kits that consisted of 4-54w bulbs each. This effectively quadrupled the lumens of the old lights, while being much more energy efficient.

This is how the room was lit before, any time I wanted to find a part in my stash I needed to get a flashlight to look through the boxes.

How it is now, I can see everything sooo much better. I can't believe it took me this long to do it. (sorry for the cell phone quality, didn't have the d90 with me)

With the lighting issues resolved, the next area to improve was the power sources available. When I first got into the room there was only 110V run, so I took another lead from the building main box and ran it in so I could run the single phase 220V welders. This held me over for a while, but I really wanted full 3-phase so I could run some heavier machines. At first I though this would be very involved, so I kept putting it off. But then one day last week I noticed that there was a run of wires to where an old, large air compressor was. Since the air compressor had been moved, I was able to take that run and re-direct it over to my room, giving me full 480V 3ph power. While this may not seem like a huge improvement, it let be finally bring out some bigger machines that had been sitting in the basement, not being used.

The first machine I brought up was an old Do-All surface grinder. While it probably won't get much use, it's the kind of thing that when you need it, it's the only tool that will work.

Next was a fairly large vertical mill. It has a 4ft bed with servo feed on the x-axis, as well as a 2-axis DRO system. Also has pneumatic tool holding. While I did have access to another mill, it will be very nice not to have to walk across the building to make a small part.

And last but not least is a recent purchase from this past week. Long story short, I kept keeping tabs on all the parts I was going to need to have made for the car and most of them were on a lathe. So for roughly the same price as paying someone else to make them, I found a 10" South Bend Lathe down the street from me. It's a little rough around the edges, but still good where it counts. I'll probably tear it apart at some point and rebuild it, but I may try and finish the car first. The coolest part is it was built sometime in 1942, I can only imagine the stuff that's been made on it over the years.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #191
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci & z33 HR
Cant wait! keep the good work sir!

djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #192
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
Im liking the work on the new dash so far... cant wait to see it finished
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #193
Tate325xi

My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
The dash is looking great. I can't believe BMW did away with the driver oriented dashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #194
tinkwithanr

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnekkon View Post
Cant wait! keep the good work sir!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdown View Post
Im liking the work on the new dash so far... cant wait to see it finished
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate325xi View Post
The dash is looking great. I can't believe BMW did away with the driver oriented dashes.

I know, that's one of my favorite parts of the e46. It was a staple of the 3 series if you ask me...

I got some filler laid over the mdf in the past few days and it smoothed out really nicely. I think I'm going to need to lay some fiber glass over that though to make sure it isn't going to start cracking in a few years time. Don't really wanna have to redo it lol

Old 04-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #195
Tate325xi

My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
Any updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #196
tinkwithanr

Sorry for the lack of updates. Overall the car is in pretty much the same state it was in my last post, but a few little things have been done. I got the first layer of glass down on the dashboard and started sanding that (have I mentioned I hate sanding fiberglass). There's a lot more glassing and sanding that needs to be done, I'd say two or three more rounds before I'll be happy with the overall shape. I'm going to have to build it up a lot more than I would have liked, but at least it will be strong. Rough outline of how it looks:

The other area I spent some time with was the pedal box. I'm going to be running dual master cylinders for the front and rear brakes on a balance bar. For those that don't know this lets you adjust the front-rear brake bias by moving the fulcrum of the bar back and forth between the two master cylinders. Sadly the '02 pedal box is pretty darn small, so it has definitely involved some creative positioning and cutting. I still need to locate the clutch master cylinder , but for now the brake setup in in place.

Aside from that, I've been busy collecting some of the parts I've had on my list for a while. This include an e21 steering rack so I can delete the stock steering box setup. This will let me drop the engine another inch in the bay, as well as possibly move it further back against the firewall. It should also help improve the overall feel of the steering, and take a lot of the slop out.

I also picked up a parts e30. This way I can use the stock m20 to get the bugs out of my megasquirt wiring and setup before dropping the stroker in place. The best part is I parted out the rest of the car, and have already made my money back, so I basically got a free engine. It's a shame the car was in a wreck, it is remarkably rust free and in good condition besides the accident.

And just because it will be used to make parts for the car, I wanted to show you what took up all of my free time for the past two months. Remember the lathe I bought? I decided to restore it to ensure the parts I was making would be high enough quality to put into the car. I completely dismantled it, painted it, replaced all worn out leadscrews/nuts etc. It's basically brand new, short of re-scraping the ways (they only have ~0.0015" wear right now), which I plan to do once the car is finished.

This is how it was when I got it:

And this is how it sits now:

I still have a few parts to button up on it, but it made it's first chips the other night. Night and day difference, I feel much better about using it for critical parts now. Overall I'm hoping to make:
-shift linkage
-airhorns
-coilover parts
-misc bushings
-engine crank spacer
-8000 other things I forget off the top of my head

The good news is now that the lathe resto is done the updates should be much more frequent!

Old 04-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #197
tyusha

My Ride: 2004 325i SilverGrey
Amazing as always!!!
tyusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #198
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkwithanr View Post
Aside from that, I've been busy collecting some of the parts I've had on my list for a while. This include an e21 steering rack so I can delete the stock steering box setup. This will let me drop the engine another inch in the bay, as well as possibly move it further back against the firewall. It should also help improve the overall feel of the steering, and take a lot of the slop out.
Interested in more info on what you got, I just replaced the center link and track rods (and suspension) on the '69 and was thinking of rebuilding the pedal box but I would be interested in seeing what you're thinking

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #199
tinkwithanr

Nothing to crazy with it, basically you take the e21 steering rack (all years are the same) and fab up some mounts to bolt it onto the 2002 subframe. I think the steering linkage needs to be pieced together as well, with various parts from each. You could then just run it like that, but it's highly recommended to shorten the steering arms on the struts to retain the original '02 turning quickness. There's a lot more info on the FAQ, search around over there and it should pop up. I haven't looked at the specific details yet lol.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #200
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
Got it, thanks. I will look that up over on FAQ. I gotta finish up my cooling system then I can start thinking about other things

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote