E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #201
Tate325xi

My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
Great work on restoring the lathe. That thing looks brand new! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick that parts E30 for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #202
tinkwithanr

My Ride: '00 323i + '75 2002
It was on a local craigslist for $400. The P.O. had already sold some parts, but it was ~90% complete when I got it. Already broke even so if the motor turns out to be junk I'll just be out some man hours.

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now
tinkwithanr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #203
tinkwithanr

Stripped the e30 over the weekend. Pulling the motor gave me a chance to finally use my new to me Engine Hoist I picked up a few weeks ago. American made, I can't tell you how much nicer it was to use that the 'import' branded versions. (America, F$CK YEAH!)

Engine and trans pulled without to much fuss. Although I forgot to drain the autoTragic of it's lifeblood before tipping it at a 45 degree angle. I was rewarded with a 6ft x 6ft puddle of red trans fluid. It looked like I just slaughtered something lol. You can see the quick-dri spread around on the floor to soak up the mess:

Next was the rear subframe. I already have one, but I figure a spare wouldn't hurt. Plus if I'm able to modify both for use in an '02 I can always sell the second one as a bolt up swap to another high power 02. It came out without to much fuss, and no huge puddles either:

I may grab the spring seats from the body as well, in case I don't go full coil-over in the rear:

I can always use this if I want my first gear to be pointless (except for making a cloud of smoke where my tires used to be!). Should be a good ratio for a stock M10 though:

Driveline out, along with the stock engine harness:

Then I turned my attention to the interior. Namely the rear seatbelts, the third brake light, and the rear speakers. The seatbelts will be used with my e24 rear buckets, they bolt right up and look pretty much brand new (forgot to take pictures, sorry). The rear brake light also looks to be in good shape. I haven't decided where I'd like to mount it though.

Bottom of rear window:

Or top of rear window:

Pretty excited for the rear speakers as well, a two-piece design with a woofer and tweeter. The housing look fairly period correct, and match the square taillights nicely. I'll probably paint the grills black or silver, depending on what flows nicely with the interior.

First I tested them out on the shop stereo to make sure they worked and sounded good. Luckily for me they sounded great:

Test fit on rear shelf, kinda hard to imagine without anything else in the interior though:

Oh, and I also stole the tool kit from the trunk. Hopefully I can adapt it into the trunk lid of the '02:

Next on the list for the week is to dispose of the shell and get the e21 rack in place so I can fab up the new motor mounts and drop the complete m20 package in. Stay tuned!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #204
330xIce

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Send a message via AIM to 330xIce
Damn I saw a 2002 in person for the first time the other day and instantly fell in love. Hopefully I can get my own one day too

Follow Me On Instagram: JamesMarshall_E46

///My Progress Thread - How To Set a Signature - Black Sedans FTMFW
-James-
330xIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #205
tinkwithanr

Removed the stock steering box and pitman arm assembly tonight. This will give me a lot more clearance for the oil pan and transmission bell housing.

Dummy block and transmission being pulled:

Here is the stock Steering box and linkage assembly. Notice how far up and back the center linkage is:

Removing the tie rod ends:

Stock assembly removed. Also saving some weight compared to the lighter steering rack:

Engine Bay with the stock mounts removed. Plenty of room now!

Steering Rack mocked up in place. Overall much cleaner looking, and should be a slightly faster/smaller turning radius once I shorten the stock steering arms.

Hope to make the rack mounts tomorrow and then figure out the linkage connection. Might have to make a trip to Summit Racing in a little bit (darn).

Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #206
tyusha

My Ride: 2004 325i SilverGrey
thanks for the updates man!!!
tyusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #207
tinkwithanr

Checked out the condition of the steering rack. Everything inside looked good, but I'll need to re-grease it before installing it for the last time.

Decided on moving the lower control arm from the rear of the subframe cross member to the middle of it. You can see the arms in the first pic. By moving them forward, it will allow me to move the steering rack closer to the cross member. This will keep the setup closer to the original geometry.

Oh, and this decided to follow me home earlier today:

Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #208
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
I can't wait for this ! ! !
Old 05-03-2012, 02:19 AM   #209
I*do*Werke

My Ride: E46 --> E30
Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #210
Pasha

My Ride: E30
Moar! Faster! Moaarr!!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #211
tinkwithanr

Hey Mods, any chance I could get you to change the title of this thread? The direction of the build has changed a bit since I started it and I'd like the title to reflect the new goals.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #212
tinkwithanr

Worked on the front suspension some more tonight. First up was to remove, clean up, and shorten the steering arms. Here they are sandblasted before shortening:

The stock length between centers is 175mm. The stock e21 length is ~130mm, but I ended up at 125mm exactly on both arms. I was shooting for slightly faster than stock, so this should be perfect.

Here is the arm after cutting:

A shortened arm next to the unshortened arm:

Both arms welded up:

When figuring out the placement of the steering rack in relation to the rest of the suspension there are a number of things to take into consideration. So I made sure to take some notes and measurements, and try to preserve the stock traits as much as possible.

But in order to mount the steering rack, I first wanted to finish cleaning up the subframe. So first was to drop it out of the car:

After looking it over there was minimal rust, just lots of grease and grime:

And here it is after sandblasting. Next is to finish grinding smooth the old steering mounts and put the new rack mounts in place. Then it will be off to powdercoat with the rest of the front suspension pieces.

That's all for the night. More to come tomorrow.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #213
tinkwithanr

Progress from the past weekend. I finished sandblasting the control arms and radius arms:

Next up was to finished up the reinforcement of the front subframe. In stock form, the center of the subframe is two pieces of 1/8" steel spot welded together. Taking into consideration the greater power output of the m20, the greater weight of the m20, and the fact that my skid plate (due to the very low oil pan) will be mounted to the bottom of the subframe, I felt that it needed to be much stronger.

The stock bottom plate on the subframe:

I cut out the old bottom plate and plasma'd out a new piece out of 1/2 steel plate. This should stiffen up the center of the subframe while giving me a sturdy place to mount the skid plate. The new plate welded in place:

Side views, I ran another weld bead all the way around after this to fully penetrate the 1/2 steel:

With the subframe stiffened up I needed to make up some mounts for the steering rack. After taking many measurements to double check the placement and trying to keep it centered and squared, I tacked the tabs in place. After a final measurement everything was welded in place. I originally wanted to TIG the mounts, but I ran out of argon gas so I had to bust out the MIG. Got the job done just fine, but had to spend some time cleaning up the splatter.

The tab's in place:

The underside of the subframe. You can see the reinforcement plate along with the steering rack mounts:

More of the rack mounts before cleaning the welds:

Rack mounted on the frame:

Subframe and Rack mounted in the car:

Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #214
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
great updates
Old 05-08-2012, 02:23 AM   #215
tinkwithanr

Worked on the control arms tonight. Didn't like the flimsy stamped design, so I started by stitch welding the seams. I also picked up more argon so I could TIG them. This helped keep the head more controlled, gave me more practice TIGing, and made the clean up easier because there's no splatter. I've still got a long way to go before I try and tackle the stainless exhaust, but I am getting better with it.

Side Shot:

Small End:

Other End:

Any guesses as to what these will be?

Lightened:

And now for the first parts made for the car on the lathe! Top Die:

Bottom Die:

Turns the strips into:

Straightened, Clamped and Welded:

Finished Up:

I'm also picking up a new set of Front recaro's with Schroth Harnesses. I was originally planning on getting mine recovered, but these came up locally and will be much cheaper in the long run.

Finally, planning on talking with GC tomorrow to get my spring rates sorted and order their Front Coilover kit. Not sure what I'm doing about the rear yet though, torn between true coilovers and the regular shock/spring/adjuster combo.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #216
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Awesome work there bro!
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #217
Gottalovethexi

My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
You're kinda awesome.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #218
tinkwithanr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
Awesome work there bro!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottalovethexi View Post
You're kinda awesome.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #219
tinkwithanr

I didn't get as much done tonight as I wanted, but that's because I spent a couple hours figuring out an issue with the surface finish on the lathe. Once I got that sorted, it was time to put the 'new' donor M20 in place. There were a number of reasons I wanted to use this engine instead of the dummy block I had been using. The main reason is this way I will know that the misc accessories and sensors will fit.

It never looks like it will fit....

The transmission at home in it's larger tunnel:

All tucked in:

Lots more room with the rack in there. I still need to shorten the stock column and fabricate new linkage, but that will come later.

Not a ton of room on the exhaust side, but enough. I may run the stock manifolds at first, but ultimately I would like to make a set of custom equal length headers:

Stock down pipe almost fit with the rack conversion, but the boot would not last very long. Of course with the stock steering system it would have no chance in hell of fitting, so it is an improvement.

Clearance of the Oil Pan, a little less than an inch. I don't think I want to go any lower, but it does have room to move back another 3-4":

Here you can see all the extra room with the bell housing compared to the stock steering system. Before I had maybe 1/8" between the track rod and the bottom lip of the bell housing. Here there is plenty of room, I could move the engine forward another 1.5" (cause I hear that's good for handling....)

Placing the front clip in place to check clearance with the front of the engine, the '02 decided to fight back. Having already sweated my body weight out during the afternoon and crying over the cost of new steering u-joints, it was nice to get the hat trick for the night.

After the struggle, the front clip was in place:

Clearance in the Front:

Clearance in the Back:

Looking at the last picture, I have enough room to move the engine back another 1/2" if I want before I'd really start being concerned with rubbing on the firewall under hard acceleration. That being said, I have half a mind to cut out a chunk of firewall so I can move the engine back as far as the oil pan would let me. This would help with the weight balance of the car, but changing spark plugs would be a PITA, and I would also run into issues with the heater box. It could also lead to issues with the intake manifold and throttle bodies. I need to do some more research and see if it would really be worth it.

More to come in the next few days.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #220
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Suh-WEET!