E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #1
BimmerIsMyName

My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
Anyone with Experience Engine and Drivetrain Swaps?

Has anybody ever done an engine swap and drivetrain swap on a vehicle? What're some things to look out for? Any advice?

I ask, cause i'm contemplating some MAJOR surgery for my Mk5 next winter. At this point, i've done pretty much everything i can, short of Forced Induction swap, to the 2.5L i have. Got the idea from a co-worker to located a B6 VW Passat 3.6L (V6) 4Motion from a junkyard or salvage auction n swap the internals over to my Jetta.

I've never done anything like an engine swap or drive train conversion before and figured i'd ask for advice.

2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback, 18" BBS CH
BimmerIsMyName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
IFX

My Ride: M156
i'll swap your drivetrain alright.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
z00 may have experience in swapped drive trains if you know what I mean.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
Stankia

My Ride: V8
I would just sell it and get a 2.0T car. Engine swaps are a pain in the ass.

Last edited by Stankia; 02-05-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Stankia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Tbh, I really have no idea how to drive a train.
MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
BimmerIsMyName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
I would just sell it and get a 2.0T car. Engine swaps are a pain in the ass.
2.0T are a pain in the a$$. Have to fvcking replace to cam fouler every 10-15,000 miles. Not to mention they're notorious for having a stupid amount of carbon build up too.

If i do go do this road, it'll be possibly one of the first Mk5 Jetta's out there that will have a 3.6L V6 swapped in and AWD conversion. I'm just indecisive if i wanna keep modding the Mk5 (as i've done almost everything short of turbo, which would easily be around $7,000 when all is said and done) or just keep the Mk5 as is after this summer n save my monies for a BMW.

Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback, 18" BBS CH
Old 02-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #7
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Sure no problem, you can knock it out in a weekend tops.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #8
BimmerIsMyName

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Sure no problem, you can knock it out in a weekend tops.
Famous last words.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #9
orb

My Ride: Coupè
orb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
RossGuy

My Ride: I can breathe
I've helped with a older muscle car motor swap so not sure how relevant my experience is.

If it were a complete kit, say a flying miata v8 swap kit, it'd be pretty easy. If your one of the first ones to do a swap like your talking about it could be a HUGE sh1t storm. I'm not too familiar with the vw's, but are you talking a fwd to awd swap? 4 to 6 cylinder swap?

Either way there is a lot of stuff to think about. Ecu, wiring, motor and trans mounts, all the little things like steering linkage, exhaust fitment, moving stuff like brake and steering lines, etc.
RossGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #11
BimmerIsMyName

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossGuy View Post
I've helped with a older muscle car motor swap so not sure how relevant my experience is.

If it were a complete kit, say a flying miata v8 swap kit, it'd be pretty easy. If your one of the first ones to do a swap like your talking about it could be a HUGE sh1t storm. I'm not too familiar with the vw's, but are you talking a fwd to awd swap? 4 to 6 cylinder swap?

Either way there is a lot of stuff to think about. Ecu, wiring, motor and trans mounts, all the little things like steering linkage, exhaust fitment, moving stuff like brake and steering lines, etc.
Yea, talking about going from FWD to AWD with 4Motion. And going from 5 cylinders with the 2.5L to 6 cylinders with the 3.6L.

I could be VERY wrong, but my thought process is to find a B6 Passat 3.6L 4Motion at an insurance auction or one that has been totaled out and to simply pilfer the parts from the Passat into my Jetta. Off the top of my head, pull the engine, trans, ECU and wiring harness out. It seems that that would be the easier part of the "project". I'd think the AWD conversion would be the biggest pain in the ass. As for exhaust, just straight pipe the b!tch. Then again, what do i know. Nothing, cause i've never attempted to do anything like this before

Old 02-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #12
RossGuy

The mk5 is available in awd right? Does it already have the tunnel?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #13
BimmerIsMyName

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossGuy View Post
The mk5 is available in awd right? Does it already have the tunnel?
Mk5 Jetta never had an AWD option, however, it does have the tunnel in there. Mk5's had 4Motion with the Passats and R32.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #14
Guest021715
Account closed.

Sell your car and buy one that has what you're missing.

or

Accept what you have.

What you're describing is a pain in the ass.
Guest021715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #15
RossGuy

If it were my car I'd consider the the following options.

-Leave fwd and built motor. I don't think the headache and weight of adding awd would be worth it.

-Fvck the passat motor and do an ls1 swap. Great motor, probably have kits and how tos available, would be somewhat easy to do a rwd setup.

-Look into selling the car for a car that's already awd or just go rwd. Not sure what your car would go for, but add that, parts, labor, headaches, etc and it might be worth switching cars. Brz, older evo or sti, r32, etc.

Not to say what your looking to do is impossible, but doing a motor swap and awd conversion doesn't sound like it's worth it to put a passat motor in.

Last edited by RossGuy; 02-05-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #16
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerIsMyName View Post
Yea, talking about going from FWD to AWD with 4Motion. And going from 5 cylinders with the 2.5L to 6 cylinders with the 3.6L.

I could be VERY wrong, but my thought process is to find a B6 Passat 3.6L 4Motion at an insurance auction or one that has been totaled out and to simply pilfer the parts from the Passat into my Jetta. Off the top of my head, pull the engine, trans, ECU and wiring harness out. It seems that that would be the easier part of the "project". I'd think the AWD conversion would be the biggest pain in the ass. As for exhaust, just straight pipe the b!tch. Then again, what do i know. Nothing, cause i've never attempted to do anything like this before

You're basically transferring your body to the drivetrain of another car. IMO this is a waste of time and resources. You should just get another car at this point. It'll never work as well as a factory one and you'll have absolute zero resale. So in the longer run it'll be more expensive no matter how you slice it.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #17
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerIsMyName View Post

Lol, buy a new car. It's a mk5 jets jetta. No one gives a fvck about them. It'll be easier and cheaper to just buy a different car.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #18
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Why would you spend that much effort to do that to a jetta when its still gonna suck when you finish?
Old 02-06-2015, 05:29 AM   #19
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Sell your car and buy one that has what you're missing.

or

Accept what you have.

What you're describing is a pain in the ass.
Not to mention dumb as ****, and expensive as hell. If you don't have at least a 2 car garage with a **** ton of tools (and preferably a lift, not just an engine crane) don't even attempt it. Wouldn't hurt to have a hook up with a VW tech as well.

If you want to do a swap the best idea is to swap a car that is pre OBD-2, older than 1996. The inspection process is generally easier in most states for cars that are of this age, and you won't have as many problems. (even if in your current area the laws are relaxed as ****)

Last edited by Vinnie Vega; 02-06-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Vinnie Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #20
saace7

My Ride: is for chicks
Swapping only a motor. Not to bad.
I've pulled a 2.0 I4 before and replaced a piston and all the bearings. Not a swap but pulling and dropping motors aren't too bad.

Swapping an AT to a MT... do-able..
I'll do this swap when my AT dies.

Swapping motor plus converting FWD to AWD? you're nuts...

Just sell the car and get an AWD car then FI if it doesn't have enough power for you.
Or get an AWD car that is already FI and just go FBO and bigger turbo + tune.

If you want even more power, just build the motor and add more boost.

08 135i - red leather w/ sport pkg
04 zhp - a tree killed it. RIP 7/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
BMW does not make a "super car". They make some super cars, but not a "super car".

Last edited by saace7; 02-06-2015 at 08:56 AM.
saace7 is offline   Reply With Quote