E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Shift Style alcantera shift boot & ebrake boot install - DIY

I spiced up the interior of my M3 with an alcantara shift boot and ebrake boot from www.ShiftStyle.com.

Quick tool/supply list -
** Zip ties
** Wire cutters
** Strong hands
** Shift boot and ebrake boot from www.ShiftStyle.com

Shift Boot Instructions

1) Pull the side of your existing boot towards the shifter to pop the plastic frame lose.

2) With the boot bottom loose the shift knob has to come off. The knob is held on but friction and plastic clips inside the boot. I've found it helps if knob is warm. Try parking your car in the sun for an afternoon to heat up the interior. Then put the car in 2nd and pull up, hard. Be VERY careful to pull in such a way that you won't hit yourself in the face, break your rear view mirror or wind shield. Try to pull the knob in such a way that it will go into your stomach if things go badly.

3) You should now be able to remove your boot. In my M3 the knob is lighted so I had to disconnect the wiring plug.

4) The Shift Style boot reuses the stock frame seen here in white.

5) The stock boot is glued to the frame. Start peeling the leather back off the frame. Work your way around slowly peeling the leather off. It takes time but just keep working at it, once you get it started it comes off easier than it seems like when you start.

6) With the frame free of the stock boot put the Shift Style boot on. It comes with an elastic bottom so its a simple matter of slipping it on. You could glue it as well but I don't think its needed. If you ordered a shift boot and ebrake boot be sure not mix them up and put the wrong one on like I did

7) Make sure you line up the stitching to best show it off in your car.

8) Now slip the boot over the shift level and zip tie it in place.

9) Snap the base back into place and reinstall your shift knob. If you're using the stock knob it snaps back on. I replaced the stock knob with a UUC Rob Knob.

Ebrake Boot Instructions

1) With the ebrake up pull the stock boot towards the lever to pop the bottom frame out of the center counsel.

2) Cut the zip tie that holds the boot to the ebrake handle.

3) With the boot and frame free we need to remove the plastic frame from the stock boot as the Shift Style boot reuses the stock frame. Start by finding a lose section of the leather and slowly pealing it off the glue holding it to the frame. Work you way around the boot pulling a bit a at time on each section. It gets easier as you have more leather to hold on to, getting started is the hardest bit.

4) I worked both side first, then had much better luck removing the ends.

5) With the frame free install the Shift Style boot. The boot has an elastic bottom so it slips over the frame. You could glue it as well but I don't think its needed.

6) Line up the stitching with the corners of the frame so it looks great when installed. The top of the frame has the larger plastic tab on it, the bottom has one but is smaller and thinner.

7) Slip the boot over the ebrake handle and zip tie it in place. Notice that the ebrake handle has slight grove in it that the zip tie should go in.

8) With the end zip tied to the handle snap the plastic frame back into place and you're done. Take your whip for a spin and enjoy the new feel to your interior!

tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Nice Tim.
Looks good!

Also, FIRST ON A TIM THREAD.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Thanks, I'm very pleased with the new look!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
rares

My Ride: 02 S54
Send a message via AIM to rares Send a message via Yahoo to rares Send a message via Skype™ to rares
thanks Tim... that's awesome...
Old 08-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
alibusoul

My Ride: TiAg e46 Vert
Looks great! To relieve your interior woes you need to trade your black nappa for cinnamon or imola... worked for me
Old 08-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
nice! i like these.

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
Very nice Tim, it definitely cleans up the interior.

02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
turbo911cm

My Ride: 05 E46 M3
nice, might put that on the list of future mods...
turbo911cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #9
SalM

My Ride: Shhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo911cm View Post
nice, might put that on the list of future mods...
+1

SalMPhotography
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
blackout26

My Ride: 2005 AW M3 6SPD
yea nice tutorial ...i noticed that the new knob you put on only had 5 gears?? do they not make that knob with 6??
blackout26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #11
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout26 View Post
yea nice tutorial ...i noticed that the new knob you put on only had 5 gears?? do they not make that knob with 6??
It was from my 330i that was only a 5 speed pattern on the knob. I'll get a new cap for it from UUC soon.

Tim
Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
jackkyzer

My Ride: 2002 325i
That looks nice. You could talk to coby1 about getting one of his alcantara M3 wheels. I think he sells them for your old wheel plus some cash. They look awesome and feel amazing.
jackkyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #13
djbg726

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Nice Tim, I had the exact same shift boot and ebrake boot in my car. So much easier than others I have seen.

Gone, but not forgotten
djbg726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #14
SG333

My Ride: E46
Does this material look and feel like alcantara? or is it alcantara?
SG333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #15
bimmer11

My Ride: 00 323ci
Thanks for the walk through! just got done with mine looks great
bimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #16
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
I'm ordering one right now. On the list for future mods.. thanks for the writeup tim
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #17
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Hots View Post
I'm ordering one right now. On the list for future mods.. thanks for the writeup tim
Just ordered a set. $64 shipped is cheap!
Can't wait for it to get here.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #18
peteyM3

My Ride: 04 JB M3 Vert
can I get a DIY for SMG shift boot thanks,
peteyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #19
Cabrio freak

My Ride: 3.25Ci Cabrio
Nice upgrade of the interior, Did the same in my previous E46,and loved it.Before I traded the vert for a 5 series.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...039&highlight=

Last edited by Cabrio freak; 11-25-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Cabrio freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
mbgt72

My Ride: 2002 325ci
First off, nice DIY and addition to the site. I'm sure it's been helpful to many.

I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but I've been trying to get in touch with Shift Style for over a month now with no response, and in another week's time, my parts will have been missing for two months time. I have received no return email since June 23rd, and shipped my product via USPS on June 28th. I have tried NUMEROUS times to contact them both via email and their contact form on their site. At this time I don't even care if they send me the alcantra boot, I just want my oem parts back as the cost to replace each part with new oem parts is going to be very pricy!

I sent my Shift Boot, Shift Knob & Shift Surround (oem carbon fiber) all to them so that I could have a alcantra Shift Boot Free (a program they do if they do not have your model in their database, which they didn't have one for my 2005 S4). I also shipped my E-Brake handle to have it wrapped and was expecting a bill for this to be done, which would be no problem as it was extra labor. But at this point, I have received NO response to any form of contact I have tried, and feel as a last resort I must track them down through forum posts. If nothing else, let this serve as a warning for anyone else looking to purchase through them or send their parts in as I did.

Thank you for your time and any help on the matter.
mbgt72 is offline   Reply With Quote