E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
Don-Faheezy

My Ride: 2001 330i
Smile extra white light!

Ok guys, now im a young guy so i used to have these orange lights in my footwell for my night time cruises ( the orange leds that i had kind of sucked, i switched back to oem lighting for now, but im going to replace them with better leds later ). (dont hate on my orange lighting)

When i had those lights, there have been multiple times where the map lights just dont cut it for when i need some bright white lights if im looking for something, ect.

so i bought this led flood light off oznium.com

( sick site btw, just dont buy their prewired superflux white leds they blow every week sometimes!! but oznium replaces them for free every time. )
this one will probably be fine though.

so just a quick write up on how i wired it.

I pulled of the sunroof trim, and its pretty easy to wire it under the carpet that way

I ran the red and black wires all the way to where the sunroof controls are, and from there i wired it like everybody hard wires their radar detector units, so i wont get into that!

This is the final product, ill put up more pics if u want.

oh, i also had these tiny 12mm long screws and little nuts where i poked holes in the headliner trim (is that what its called?) and screwed it in and put a nut on the other side.

hope you likey. let me know!

i also got an orange one like this (again dont hate on the orange)

im going to wire it to the hood so i have an engine bay light. ill post a new thread later.

Last edited by Don-Faheezy; 08-24-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: pics no worky :(
Don-Faheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Don-Faheezy

can you guys see the pics??
Old 08-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
pyrocrickett

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-Faheezy View Post
can you guys see the pics??

'04 ///ZHP sedan 6MT
pyrocrickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
Don-Faheezy

there.

wow i never knew my bb camera was so good!
Old 08-24-2010, 02:21 AM   #5
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
How did you get a cable so far into the headliner without creasing it? I see you have a sunroof there.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
Don-Faheezy

what do you mean?

it first goes over the headliner, to that box sort of thing where the alarm is supposed to go. and from there i put it under the headliner.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
so this floods your cabin with a bright white light in place of the soft ambient amber light?
can you see out the window when its on?

clip a picture of it on from the POV of outside the car so I get a better idea of what happens when you turn it on.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
dryan81

My Ride: .
nice effort....not sue if I would have screwed directly into my headliner ...+ the exposed wires would drive me nuts...

but ...
dryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Don-Faheezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
so this floods your cabin with a bright white light in place of the soft ambient amber light?
can you see out the window when its on?

clip a picture of it on from the POV of outside the car so I get a better idea of what happens when you turn it on.
lol delmarco, im a huge fan of your diys and vids they help me out alot.

I am putting in orange lighting in place of the footwell, dome and pillar lights, (also might add rear footwell lights too.) the orange doesnt supply me with sufficient lighting to light up a car when i need a bright light.

ill post a thread on those too when i get around to actually doing it

i actually am probably going to buy the orange lights from 1michiganger...the same guy you bought your orange lighting for your interior door handle light... how are those btw? any issues with the leds?

the light is way too bright to drive with it, i just use it when i need to look for something, ect.

ill post a pic tonight if i get a chance
Old 08-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
Don-Faheezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryan81 View Post
nice effort....not sue if I would have screwed directly into my headliner ...+ the exposed wires would drive me nuts...

but ...
exposed wires can only really be seen at that angle. cant really notice them, and they dont bother me.

the only way around that would be to make slits in the cloth on that alarm cover, and keep the glue hot, while drilling a large hole. then id have to fold over the cloth, glue it, then fit the light assembly in the hole. i wasnt man enough to do that, plus i think it would have drawn too much attention to it being on a platform and all lmao.

or i could have drilled a massive hole in the headliner but that too, would just look odd.

overall im happy with it, though.

oh and the screws are like 2 mm thick and i poked the hole with a little metal skewer, you cant even see the holes when its off, unless your super anal, which i know some of you are, but thats why i love you guys :$
Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #11
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
lol delmarco, im a huge fan of your diys and vids they help me out alot.

I am putting in orange lighting in place of the footwell, dome and pillar lights, (also might add rear footwell lights too.) the orange doesnt supply me with sufficient lighting to light up a car when i need a bright light.

ill post a thread on those too when i get around to actually doing it

i actually am probably going to buy the orange lights from 1michiganger...the same guy you bought your orange lighting for your interior door handle light... how are those btw? any issues with the leds?

the light is way too bright to drive with it, i just use it when i need to look for something, ect.

ill post a pic tonight if i get a chance
Hey I knew I knew you!
Whats up man?
Yeah the LEDs are still awesome. the only issue I had is the prewired LEDs come with the resistor mounted under the bulb and I prefer them to be mounted further down the wire where the wire crosses into the door cavity.

I asked about your white light because I was thinking the same thing since I saw my gfriend's 2010 C300 have those hid bright white lights for the map lights in place of regular yellow one that come on our cars.

I was just going to replace the map lights with white bulbs, but I don't know where to buy them.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 AM   #12
Don-Faheezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Hey I knew I knew you!
Whats up man?
Yeah the LEDs are still awesome. the only issue I had is the prewired LEDs come with the resistor mounted under the bulb and I prefer them to be mounted further down the wire where the wire crosses into the door cavity.

I asked about your white light because I was thinking the same thing since I saw my gfriend's 2010 C300 have those hid bright white lights for the map lights in place of regular yellow one that come on our cars.

I was just going to replace the map lights with white bulbs, but I don't know where to buy them.
yeah i see your name alot on the boards dont think we have ever met tho, but hey, great to meet you!

the orange matches the orange oem leds right? thats the colour im trying to match. ill be going with the the led strips though not the prewired. same colour though. hopefully it'll look subtle and clean, and not too much of a typical teenager.

wait are you asking about changing our bulbs or ur gfs?

check out oznium.com , its a bit $$$ overall good products, and amazing cs.

well overall good products except the prewired superflux leds... the white ones were HORRIBLE. they would be literally blowing out once a week, not too sure if they fixed it or not.

They also have orange prewired superflux leds , i would have suggested them to you for your door lights, but your ebay find looks even better.

I had about 8 total orange superflux and only 1 had this wierd flicker problem. another one had a similar problem but you couldnt notice unless you looked directly at the led. i actually had soldered a couple of these to my footwell lights, and had 1 in each pillar and dome light. not bright enough so i sent them back for a full refund

( i didnt damage anything on my car by doing this )

but if your looking for just the map light replacement oznium sells bulbs but for 10 bucks. ( i have 4 in my car. 2 map lights and 2 for the rear map lights. )

also they are all over the sponsers no? i contacted bimmian the other day because i needed a single bulb for the glove box and they said they'd sell the single bulb.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:10 AM   #13
Don-Faheezy

some more pics.

guess my camera wasnt as good as i thought
just for the basic idea on how bright it is..

actually if you want to see better pics, their called led flood lights on oznium.

wow i sound like im some sort of promoter LOL
Old 08-25-2010, 01:20 AM   #14
lllSupra

My Ride: E46 330i
looks pretty lame and out of place IMO
lllSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #15
Alex Pappas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllSupra View Post
looks pretty lame and out of place IMO
Mexico called- they want there exposed wires and lame under-cabinet kitchen light back. Oh, and don't forget to send them those gnarly phillips head screws as well!
VMR 18 staggered 710, Eagle Eyes led smoked tails, smoked Depo corners and sides with amber led, dual bulb carrier for trunk lid lights, H&R sport cup kit, M3 trunk lid spoiler, AC Schnitzer roof spoiler, black out grilles, license plate delete, 03' 3 spoke sport wheel, m3 strut bar, shadowline trim, p46 head lights, LED amber 3000k Angel Eyes, custom painted engine covers, BSW speakers, AFE stage 1 CAI-oiled filter.

Last edited by Alex Pappas; 08-25-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Alex Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #16
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
I remember when I used to do silly mods like this, lol

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
WTCCe46

My Ride: '04 325
Lol... good job with the install man!! I wouldn't do it but to each their own right :-)

Sent from my DROID2 using BimmerApp
WTCCe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:13 AM   #18
alibusoul

My Ride: TiAg e46 Vert
I don't get why people come in here and just put in their little smart a$$ comments and then deuce out. Seriously, if you don't like it then hit the back button on your browser and go about your own business. There's no need to **** on someone's thread just to make yourself feel better

Obviously the OP enjoys his mod and it's very functional for him. He's not slapping M3 badges on his car and being a doucher. Like WTCCe46 said, it's not my cup of tea but hey if works for you, then by all means go for it!
Old 08-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #19
Arty

Quote:
and from there i put it under the headliner.
You lowered all the headliner to do this?
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #20
Don-Faheezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Pappas View Post
Mexico called- they want there exposed wires and lame under-cabinet kitchen light back. Oh, and don't forget to send them those gnarly phillips head screws as well!
just sharing my ideas with the forums. at least you made me lol though.

Tags
led, light, white