E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
An ongoing problem with my install...AMP TURN-ON?

This has been bugging me for a while...

On every wiring diagram I can find for my car (2006 BMW E46 330Ci Convertible) it shows the white solid wire, #10 in the grey connector to be the radio to factory amp turn on lead. BUT when I check it, the wire is hot with ~10.5v as soon as the car is put in accessory, with no difference when the radio is energized, still ~10.5v. I tried every other pin and none have any power (12v or even close) once the radio is turned on. As we all know, there isn't a power antenna either on this car, strangely.

I have been using this lead, but it turns on my system with the ACC position, regardless of whether or not the radio is on or off.

Anyone find anything different??

Thanks,
Radar
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
dtrog325i

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
I have an 04 325i and when I did my system I had to tap into a blue wire in the back of the head unit. Grantid I have an alpine head unit, but it said right on the back of the head unit which wire did what. I didnt have to go on the internet

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer
dtrog325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
radarcontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrog325i View Post
I have an 04 325i and when I did my system I had to tap into a blue wire in the back of the head unit. Grantid I have an alpine head unit, but it said right on the back of the head unit which wire did what. I didnt have to go on the internet

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer
Yeah, on an aftermarket HU, the blue wire is usually the amp turn on lead, or in the past, for power antennas. This is a factory head unit, completely different. Thanks though.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
nuc1

My Ride: money hole
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarcontact View Post
This has been bugging me for a while...

On every wiring diagram I can find for my car (2006 BMW E46 330Ci Convertible) it shows the white solid wire, #10 in the grey connector to be the radio to factory amp turn on lead. BUT when I check it, the wire is hot with ~10.5v as soon as the car is put in accessory, with no difference when the radio is energized, still ~10.5v. I tried every other pin and none have any power (12v or even close) once the radio is turned on. As we all know, there isn't a power antenna either on this car, strangely.

I have been using this lead, but it turns on my system with the ACC position, regardless of whether or not the radio is on or off.

Anyone find anything different??

Thanks,
Radar
If I remember correctly it is so the BT will work with the radio off - amp is on so you can have sound through the speakers at all times.
I've run into the same issue.

Mike
Old 11-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
radarcontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuc1 View Post
If I remember correctly it is so the BT will work with the radio off - amp is on so you can have sound through the speakers at all times.
I've run into the same issue.

Mike
WOW! I NEVER even thought of that! Damn, I've been busting my hump trying to figure this out for over two years!
I bet you are right.
(Did you hear that? That was me kicking myself in the @ss!!)
Old 11-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
radarcontact

(thank you!)
Old 01-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
khalazad

My Ride: 2006 330CI Vert ZHP
Wait, So How could you possibly install the aftermarket amp then knowing that your car is going to keep it on a all times? How did you mitigated the issue of this post? I have the same car (06 330cic) and am installing the system on my own.
khalazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
radarcontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalazad View Post
Wait, So How could you possibly install the aftermarket amp then knowing that your car is going to keep it on a all times? How did you mitigated the issue of this post? I have the same car (06 330cic) and am installing the system on my own.
Not ALL the time, but sometimes when the radio is off, and the car is somehow "in use".

Example: if you walk out to your car first thing in the morning, stand next to your door and make a phone call on your BT-linked cellphone, it will stay with the phone and not get picked up by the BMW sound system.

On the other hand, if you hang up that call, open your car door, have a seat and then call that person back...the BMW system picks it up and you are now communicating with your friend through your microphone and speakers.

I think it stays on about as long as the amber position indicator light on my steptronic.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
radarcontact

Update: all of my problems, this and/or others, turned out to be a faulty MS-8. My new one works perfectly, no issues with anything.