E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
lllSupra

My Ride: E46 330i
Recommended Koni Yellow Setting?

I just ordered some Koni Yellows to replace my blown oem shocks and I am currently running H&R Sports. I hear you have to remove the rear shocks to adjust the damper on them? Anyway I want it to be right upon my install so I don't have to mess with the rear. What would be the best street setup for handling? Full stiff? I don't mind a rough ride.

Also how much of an improvement in handling will I have compared to my blown oems? I've had blown shocks for so long I forgot what its like...

Last edited by lllSupra; 07-01-2010 at 12:42 PM.
lllSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
I wouldn't recommend adjusting it to full stiffness, running the shocks at the extremes can put excessive wear on the valving and cause them to fail prematurely. I typically recommend a middle setting but if you like it stiffer, then go with 3/4.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
lllSupra

ok, thanks
Old 07-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
CokMinusTheS54

My Ride: '01 TiAg 325Ci 5mt
Hey, Brian right? Did you get them in yet? I've got a set of rears coming in the mail. What did you end up setting them at and how is the ride? Their website said they have about 5 full turns of adjustability, or maybe it was 5 half turns
Old 07-12-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
D-Rock

My Ride: 1988 325is m50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CokMinusTheS54 View Post
Hey, Brian right? Did you get them in yet? I've got a set of rears coming in the mail. What did you end up setting them at and how is the ride? Their website said they have about 5 full turns of adjustability, or maybe it was 5 half turns
should be 5 full turns well mine are.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
D-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
CokMinusTheS54

^whatdo you have yours set at? What springs are you running and how is the ride?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #7
joneperry

My Ride: e46 + S60 + Z
ohh so how many shocks of yours were blown? did you drive around alot with blown shocks? and did a blown shock result in the car being lower on that wheel?

..reason im asking i noticed the right rear side being noticeably lower on my oem sport package suspension so im wondering if its a blown shock or broken spring
joneperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:24 AM   #8
CokMinusTheS54

^ 3 of mine are blown and no the car isn't sittng at different heights, but idk maybe yours are F'd

now back to my setting question??
Old 07-12-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
lllSupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CokMinusTheS54 View Post
Yo its Ryan, and no I haven't gotten them in yet... as far as the ride height being off that really shouldn't have anything to do with the shocks, sounds like a spring problem or something. Usually when shocks are blown the ride just gets horribly bouncy and ****.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #10
CokMinusTheS54

Ah my bad, close though. Where did you order yours from? Tirerack? I ordered mine from ECS, their website said they had them in stock but I only ordered rears. I'll start with a half turn and see how that feels I guess then go from there

~Christian
Old 10-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Another BM

My Ride: 330ci
i think i blew my struts.. i had them at full stick and now it feels like i blew them... only had them 8 or 10 weeks
Old 10-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
lllSupra

I have them in the middle setting front and rear, its a little stiffer in the front than the rear. Its perfect, it probably has to do with my stiff spring rates as well.