E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
Deleting factory amp, what exactly is needed to run BSW or all 10 factory speakers

So I've spent the better part of the last two weeks messing around with my sound system and I have not found anywhere the exact info that is needed to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket setup. I'm not talking about running a 4 channel amp to aftermarket components. I'm talking about for those of us who have the BSW stage 1 upgrade and want to run all the speakers at the correct frequencies from an upgraded amp setup. After much research I've found that the factory amps in our cars don't reproduce lower notes "bass" because the built in crossovers in the factory amp are crossed over at a level that doesn't allow the speakers in our cars to produce these tones. I've racked my brain for weeks trying to figure out exactly what components would be needed to rip the factory amp out and run a nice setup that would power all the speakers in the factory locations.

I can't be the only person who would be interested in giving the BSW speakers a cleaner, and better signal. It's my understanding that they are rated for much more power than they are being delivered with the factory setup, and running an aftermarket setup would also allow customization of the frequencies sent to the mid bass speakers and hopefully allow them to actually produce some mid bass. My stage 1 sounds great in the mids and highs, but doesn't blend well with the single 10 sub I have because there is a huge gap between midrange and bass that I really want to fill.

I am really specifically curious about these digital signal processors like the Audison prima AP8.9 bit which is essentially an all in one system that if I'm reading right may be the way to be able to run out systems and send correct signals to each speaker via adjustments made in the software.

I'm sure there are other processors that have built in amps that can be setup this way but I'm still looking.

I want to make this as simple as I can and with today's technology there has to be either one or a combination of two components that can be hooked up to either the factory or aftermarket headunits to correctly power all 10 speakers in an e46.

I really think there are others that would be interested in this info. The BSW stage 1 is an awesome upgrade but I feel like it's still being choked out on the lower end because of the factory amps in these cars.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:51 AM   #2
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
I thought I mentioned i in another thread. you need 10 channel of amplification and dsp/xover.

Whether that be a 6 channel amp amd a 4 channel or whatever. Just the front stage is all you really need. Not the rears. In that case just by a good 6 channel with clean internal xovers (I like a/d/s) and later you can buy a matching 4ch for the rears.

Or something more involved...
http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/e...eight-dsp.html And another two channel, or ditch the rear mids and just run a sub on a 2nd amp.

Or just the dsp n run your own amps...
5 old school a/b alpine 3522s would be über clean and dynamic...

http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/e...p-pro-mk2.html

Or get the plug n play adapter harness for factory Nav or non Nav and the pp82

http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/e...ptor-database/

http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/e.../pp-82dsp.html

Again 8 channels amped, two channels output to extra amp. Ditch the rear mids.

E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting DIY
Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring

Last edited by Onizukachan; 04-16-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
I'm still a bit confused as to the configuration. The part that has me a bit puzzled is how to take the 4 outputs from the factory wiring and turn them into 10 separate channels. 10 may actually be a bit harder so let's just assume I do away with the rear door mids and want to run 8 channels (front door tweeter,mids,midbass along with rear midbass for fill). So say I want to run a digital processor like the JL audio TWK so that I can really dial in my audio sound for different types of music. So please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking what I would do in this situation is cut the factory wires at the factory Amp and run the 4 channels that come off of the headunit into a line converter to "convert them to rca". Which I would then run those 4 channels into the TWK, which would then allow me to separate those into 8 channels and setup the crossover settings and everything else. Then run those 8 channels out into 2 4 channel amps to amplify the 8 speakers.

So would that be the correct way of running that setup or do I have to run the amps in front of whatever dsp I pick to use?

Thanks for any advice. At this point my head is spinnning. I've been out of the audio game for 20 years and between the complicated setup of the amps in our e46 and all the new tech on the market I'm just getting a bit overwhelmed. That and I've already made a couple purchases that I wouldn't have if I could go back so before I move forward with buying any other equipment I want to be 100% certain that it will all run good.

For reference I had originally bought the eonon 6150 but I'm returning it and buying a Dynavin for its superior sound quality. Also bought the BSW stage 1 system and going to reluctantly keep that for a while but if I was to go back I would do a better 8 channel component system instead because of the complete lack of midbass in the BSW stage 1 kit. I even hooked up an alpine headunit to the BSW kit and it didn't sound much better than the eonon so I really want to run a dsp along with the Dynavin to at least try to get the most out of this that I can. I'm sure the Dynavin will sound better with the BSW kit all by itself but I have to dial in this low end and fill this gap I have between the midrange and the sub.

Last edited by mjpgolf1; 04-16-2017 at 07:03 PM.
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The factory amp has built in crossovers. Crossovers split the full range audio signals (full range: 30hz to 15khz) into various frequency bands. That is, it takes the full range audio signals and sends frequency appropriate audio signals to each speaker. That way the woofer gets audio signals that are in the 30hz to 800hz band (as an example). This prevents the woofer from getting high frequency audio signals that can damage the woofer. Same applies to the mid range and tweeter speakers.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote