E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #21
vander

My Ride: 03 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cideways View Post
xi_ter and all,
Car runs really well when it's running, but I think that the computer is compensating for a too lean or rich condition.

-Pat
You can also try cleaning your MAF sensor as this is a really simple and cheap thing to do that can sometimes clear up engine misfires. As I understand it, a clean MAF will ensure the engine is delivering the correct fuel to air mixture in your engine.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #22
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cideways View Post
Thanks for the information. I did try the procedure just as explained the first time with a cold engine (not driven in a day cold) and did not get much Seafoam in the line, nor did I get the white smoke. So letting it sit over night, I thought I would try again. After reading another post here, DMAX mentioned a clogged hose. So I removed the hose to check for any blockages or holes. When I removed it, liquid spilled out, but the hose was in good shape and not blocked. I put it back on and filled the tube with Seafoam. I started the car and I wish I had a picture of the white smoke that came out of the tail pipe -- it was unbelievable. I let is idle for about 10 minutes and the smoke eventually cleared. Then I went for a drive. Drove perfect for about half mile and started misfiring again.

I think that I will try this again tomorrow and also listen for the whining pump sound on cold start. ...
Congrats on the huge burnoff. I'd guess that the Seafoam needed to unblock the valve first. The second time, the SAP was able to blow Seafoam into the exhaust ports/ channels and burn off the carbon. It also says your SAP is working. 10 minutes of white smoke is a long burnoff, you'll have to use a few cans of Seafoam and allow time for the Seafoam to soak in before starting the car.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #23
vander

My Ride: 03 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
10 minutes of white smoke is a long burnoff
10 minutes isn't that long really, when I did mine there was smoke for a good 20 minutes at least
Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #24
Cideways

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vander View Post
Oh and you should really look into finding a good trustworthy mechanic as you will pay a fortune at the dealer
Just wanted to close out my issue in case it may help someone else in future. I took Vander's suggestion above and after searching my regional area (mid-Atlantic) in this forum I found recommendations for RRT racing. I dropped off the car on Sunday night, picked it up Monday at noon and it's running like new. Bad #2 coil (misfire on #2, changed coil to #1 position and misfire followed coil)

Local dealer: $5,200 (rebuild the motor, then offered me $1,000 for the car when I said I couldn't afford that).
Total final repair cost: under $250.
"Finding a good trustworthy mechanic": priceless!

Thanks RRT, Vander and others for your advice...
Cideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #25
bli1348

My Ride: 325xi
HELP! Being a noob on diy, I am having difficulty in unplugging the hose from the pump!! I loosened the clamp, but couldn't move the hose an inch. Any tips in getting it off?
bli1348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #26
Cideways

My Ride: 2001 325i
^ I would spray some PB blaster and or WD40 - just enough to get between the hose and plastic and clean it off once you get them apart. Maybe try to lightly pry with a flat head screw driver. It may take a while, as mine was difficult also. Just don't force it or you could break the plastic on the SAP.
Cideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #27
Mc 007

My Ride: 325ci Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Great DIY for a non-working secondary air pump. Under the CPO warranty I had my Secondary Air pump replaced, but continued to throw CEL codes due to low secondary air flow.
If the pump is working, and making the leaf blower sound for 2 minutes after a cold start, use the secondary air pump to blow Seafoam into the exhaust ports and valves. This will clear the secondary air passages enough in the engine to allow the second O2 sensor to detect a higher secondary air flow.

The 540i engine is even more prone to the problem, but here's the general idea of what happens:
Photobucket

The carbon burn off using Seafoam on the secondary air system is huge and has kept the CEL off since I first started this cleaning.
Since the Seafoam can only be blown into the ports while the engine is cold this DIY must be performed as you first start the car in the morning.

Step 1: Remove the clamp from the hose between the secondary air pump and the valve to the engine

Step 2: Pour Seafoam into the hose. The hose will hold just over an ounce of Seafoam.

Step 3: Reconnect the hose and run the car 5 seconds so the air pump blows the Seafoam into the exhaust port.
Repeat this fill and restart 3 more times only running the engine 5 seconds so the secondary air pump runs for the 3 fills.

Then let the engine sit 15 minutes and warm up the car. There will be significant amounts of Seafoam carbon burnoff in the form of white smoke. The carbon burnoff will clean exhaust areas in the path to the O2 sensors that measure secondary air flow.
this solvents are ok for this work?
http://www.automagic.biz/solvents.htm
Old 03-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #28
Pimpwerx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
How much of a vacuum should there be on the hose going from the back of the engine to the valve? I want to see if my valve is broken or not, but I get a very weak vacuum on that line. I've changed all the hose all the way up to the little pump on the back of the engine using regular vacuum hose from Autozone. I can't get that pump off the back of the manifold to inspect it. Any thoughts? I'd rather not have to buy a valve. The pump works just fine. PEACE.
Pimpwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #29
Little Dragon

My Ride: E46s
Going to be taking a look at my SAP this weekend. CEL throwing the codes.
Hopefully just have to replace a hose or something simple.
Little Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #30
bli1348

My Ride: 325xi
HELP! P0491 P0492 still! 200 mile after clearing the codes, replacing secondary pump/valve.... The indyshop lied to me that they can do diagnostics on SES and fix it, and now they said they don't know why computer still shows the codes after replacing...
bli1348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #31
association16

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice2003 View Post
So, why don't more people delete the sap? Does it truly act just like an EGR setup? On my old 3000GT, I removed the EGR and saw mpg go up. You also have a much cleaner intake tract. I know you would throw a ses light, but still. Just curious.
Sweet, I might try it. To disable it would I just unplug it then? Or is there some process to go through?
association16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #32
Admit1

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Interesting, instead of suction coming from the check valve I have air being pushed back at me. I also don't have air being driven by my pump, so I am then assuming that the check valve is stuck open and then drove exhaust into my air pump therefore ruining my pump... sounds right...?
Admit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #33
Mc 007

My Ride: 325ci Performance
is possible to clean the valve with a spray made for cleaning intake manifolds?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #34
philyphill112

My Ride: 00' 323ci, 145k
Anyone know where I can get the Check valve and the hoses other than the Steelership?
philyphill112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #35
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
You could try ECS Tuning, BavAuto.com, AutoHausAZ, or Pelican Parts. Those are the 4 places I use to buy replacement BMW parts.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #36
Terran6

My Ride: 2003 E46 325i sport
Hello, I have a 2003 325i, my valve doesn't have a vacuum hose that opens it, I guess it's from the newer versions. I did the sea foam cleaning. I filled up the hose a the night before, in the morning just added more to it. It did a good 10-15 mins burnout. I guess the valve is fine, because held all of the fluid before i started for a night then the engine burned out. My pump is working too. Well, when I start the car the pump works for not more than 15 seconds, don't know if that's normal. What would you suggest to do? Thank you!
Terran6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #37
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Thanks for the DIY! I noticed the other day while checking under the hood that the hose that connects the air pump to the check valve had a huge hole in it. I also noticed, like you, some dumbass broke off the plastic connectors causing my air pump to wiggle around as well. It's fine for now, but I have order a new hose. The dealership wanted $46 for one!!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #38
skhalifeh

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via MSN to skhalifeh
IF this valve little hose is missing does it generate a check engine light?
skhalifeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #39
skhalifeh

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via MSN to skhalifeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedef1 View Post
Thanks I really needed this. Question Where does the little hose on the valve go to ? Its missing on mine

Is you Check engine light on?
skhalifeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #40
knsaber

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Thank you guys for the write up, I was able to fix my code error 2 days before my inspection sticker expired and I just passed!

These were the steps I took:

1. Use Seafoam to clean the system, clear codes, but error code for Secondary Air came back.

2. Followed Bavuato's inspection instructions here http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...newsletter.pdf and figured out the air pump was faulty but the valve still worked. I didn't feel like spending another $100+ on the valve so I just ordered a new SAP, hose and mounts. The rubber mountings were broken so I assume the vibration is what caused the pump to fail, as I could hear parts rattle inside when I shook it.

It's easy to take the assembly out (which I found out after taking everything apart). Just unbolt the three hex screws found in the back of this photo, you don't need to touch the screw in the foreground. It doesn't even require nuts to tighten so all you need is an extended ratchet head.

After swapping out the SAP and resetting the OBDII, this article was immensely helpful in resetting the drive cycle so all monitors would be ready for inspection. http://www.europeantransmissions.com...0Procedure.pdf

The only monitor that said Not Ready during inspection was the Evap system, but I still passed!