E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
pyrocrickett

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
TCU Transplant: X5 to E46

My wife's '04 X5 has an Assist TCU module that she's letting me take for my 3er for the Bluetooth functionality. I've already cross-checked the P/Ns for E46 compatibility (the TCU's P/N is 84 11 6 952 218) & I'm 99% confident the physical transfer (mount points, cables & plugs, etc.) will go perfectly. My only concern - & question for you all - is whether I'll run into any programming issues. From this TSB, it seems that they're coded for a specific VIN, though I wonder if that will impact the Bluetooth functionality.

So, has anyone taken a TCU out of another vehicle & successfully used it in his own?

'04 ///ZHP sedan 6MT
pyrocrickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Yes the VIN is coded into the unit. You can change it with Navcoder and Resler interface. The VIN is only used for BMW Assist calls.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
pyrocrickett

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
Yes the VIN is coded into the unit. You can change it with Navcoder and Resler interface. The VIN is only used for BMW Assist calls.
Thanks for the info! It's good to know it can be changed, but the bolded part makes me think I shouldn't need to bother with it, since I have zero plans to use Assist in my 3er.

Anyone else have experience transplanting a TCU?

'04 ///ZHP sedan 6MT
pyrocrickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
TCUs from other models are always fitted to other cars. It is the norm rather than the exception. The X5 units are newer and more plentiful used. The part numbers are shared between the models if you check realoem.

Last edited by Arty; 09-02-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote