E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
Apple4life

My Ride: 03 325i SULEV
Sunroof problem (not clips) *videos+pics*

I searched the forum and I can't find an answer to solve my sunroof problem. I need help please.

Today, I got the sunroof clips in the mail and replaced it. I thought it would solve the problem, but it didn't.

I notice that my right rail works perfectly fine, but my left rail (driver side) is STUCK. and it makes a LOUD crunching sound when I try to close my sunroof.

How can i fix it? Please help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0896.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	374116  
Apple4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:10 AM   #2
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
by rail you mean the "track" that the driver slides on? or the moon roof glass lifting/sliding rail?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
Apple4life

the moon roof glass lifting/sliding rail.

The track for the sunshade is perfectly fine, I just replaced the clips.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
I know this one!

It is something in the back that causes that to stick...it's the rain gutter or whatever they call it.
When the glass tilts up the rain gutter raises to prevent water from getting in the car. It looks like a fan. What tends to happen is the connecting finger end joints on this usually wears away or gets bent out of place and/or get stuck causing the glass rail to not go up (usually on the side that where the rain gutter finger joint is bent) and you have to remove it and just reshape it and click it back in place. And possibly replace the rubber tips if they are missing and the metal is exposed.
There is a DIY on this. I think it is linked off of my DIY thread.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 09-03-2010 at 02:26 AM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Apple4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I know this one!

It is something in the back that causes that to stick...it's the rain gutter or whatever they call it.
When the glass tilts up the rain gutter raises to prevent water from getting in the car. It looks like a fan. What tends to happen is the connecting finger end joints on this usually wears away or gets bent out of place and/or get stuck causing the glass rail to not go up (usually on the side that where the rain gutter finger joint is bent) and you have to remove it and just reshape it and click it back in place. And possibly replace the rubber tips if they are missing and the metal is exposed.
There is a DIY on this. I think it is linked off of my DIY thread.
Thanks, I took out the rain gutter and everything looks fine. Ugh, I just don't know why the rails are not moving at all
Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #6
electric130

My Ride: 2002 330i
mine is doing something similar. making the crunching sound.

electric130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
electric130

did you ever figure it out?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
liverpool_red

My Ride: 2003 330 CI
Send a message via Skype™ to liverpool_red
i have the same issue, i havent fixed it yet since its gonna cost either money or time and involves loads of searches. Its probably your cassette messed up and the ribbon or tape (lack of a better word) jumping the thread or the teeth of the motor. It almost a common issue. From what I heard its about 2000 for a new assembly + fixing cost or about 800 in total for a used one. you probably also have bits of broken pieces lying around in there somewhere. I saw a write up somewhere of a DIY but you need to basically take most of the ceiling and side panels down
Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
electric130

I bought the BMW repair kit from ECS Tuning. Should be here next week. I'll post my results.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
///Mostarac

My Ride: SiennaE46 & Cbr600rr
where did you buy the clips? mine are absolutley destroyed..
///Mostarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #11
electric130

i bought the whole repair kit, since BMW change the design:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/54107134072/ES156736/
you can get the clips at the dealer, pelican parts, tischer, etc

Old 02-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #12
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Mine was making a crunching sound, and while it didn't stop, it did have a ton of resistance. I greased the part the clip slides on, and it works better now (not perfect, but it's not tripping the anti-trap mechanism anymore). It seems that when the driver pushes against the clip, the downward force causes the rubber on the clip to make a *ton* of friction. I'm not sure what the appropriate grease would be. I used white lithium for now, but will probably need to redo it again pretty soon
Old 02-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
electric130

so I finally got mine fixed today. there's some good pics and instructions here that I followed (I didn't write it, pics below taken from the linked site):
http://www.lincomatic.com/e46sunroof/e46sunroof.html
mine turned out to be a combination of things. the sticking and resistance was just dirty tracks on the drivers side. there's a "driver" that was causing resistance even with the glass out:

i basically just sprayed WD40 in the tracks and it slid nice and smooth. the plastic on my clips was fine, but there was sticky, old grease on them.

i cleaned them up with WD40 and reinstalled them. same thing with the plastic on the right side sliders. they were sticky so i cleaned them up.

the last thing i messed with was the rain water channel. mine was bent pretty bad on the right side and the plastic tips looked much worse than this:

i put the new water channel from the kit in, sprayed some more lube in the tracks, put everything back together (testing along the way like the website recommends) and everything works great!

a couple things about the BMW kit. from what I understand, this kit is the only way to buy the water channel (which i needed). it comes with a redesigned "driver"

i didn't install it because it requires dropping the whole headliner from the car, drilling out 2 rivets from the white gutter thing that's above the left rear seat (hard to see pics):

after putting the new driver in, you'd have to reinstall the gutter with 2 rivets. the rivets are included in the kit, but i don't have a rivet gun and didn't feel like dropping the headliner to get to this. hopefully this helps some people. long story short, all my clips were fine. the tracks were just sticky with old lube.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
For anyone else in need you can find the entire Genuine BMW repair kit below...

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46, problem, rail, sunroof