E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
guest1013

My Ride: M3
my DICE Mediabridge review

I have had an up and down experience with the DICE Mediabridge I recently purchased from EAS. My first issue I had was I ordered the Radio Interface for me M3 but I have navigation so I needed the Trunk interface. I must have missed the small print on the website or missed the forum post hidden within the 100 pages of comments. I was able to get a trunk harness from EAS and returned the radio harness.
so lesson number 1: if you have navigation in your bmw, TRUNK HARNESS is the only thing that will work. Radio interface is also made by EAS and not DICE. So calling DICE for radio harness interface tech support is useless.

I finally got to install the whole mediabridge unit and amazingly there was no interference! I was very happy with this because you read on the forums that someitmes its a big issue, luckily i got a good one. so plus 1 for sound quality.

I ran it into my glovebox and put the microphone into the BMW factory mic placement. So here comes my bluetooth test. with the iphone plugged into USB cable (dont know if this makes a diference) I sounded good and call quality wasnt bad. When I was not hooked into the USB cable and just straight blue tooth, people complained that I sounded choppy, came in and out, crickets in the background. etc. This is all done while not driving.
So bluetooth isnt bad, I dont make calls anyways but I say its average.

The actual User interface for the DICE of course to nobodys' surprise is that its a nightmare. I guess you have to get used to it, but right off the bat I had no clue how to even get my music to even start playing. It would do it sometimes, and sometimes not, I have still yet to figure that out but I am sure once I do I will. One annoying thing is the speaker announcements. The song will begin, 2 second later voice override of "name of song". If there is a way to turn that off thatwould be great. SO everytime u listen to a playlist it announces the song.

Lesson 2: Plays and Charges my iphone 4 with OS 4.0.2. Dice interface is horrible and needs to be revamped but as we all know updates will come and maybe it will be a little easier to use out of box. Plus the instructions they come with are sort of sparce. U get all these one liners like "INIT" which i dont know what that means but will hpoefuly figure out.

During my time with the Mediabridge unit I noticed the fonts were changing like the youtube video they have. Dice really needs to make a new video showing how to use their product and something that doesnt have that bug still. But anywyas, had ran the cable out the glovebox hooked up laptop, and u have to register first before u can update. before u register u need to have the SERIAL NUMBER for the Mediabridge that is tucked away behind the glovebox. So, before u install andd tuck away all ur cables neatly, write down ur serial number and check to make sure u have the most up to date firmware.
Lesson 3: WRITE DOWN SERIAL NUMBER AND CHECK FIRMWARE BEFORE FINISHING THE INSTALL.

so Now, i have updated my firmware, and now it cannot detect my USB IPhone. it goes BLUETOOTH to AUX to SIRIUS. ill turn off car, unplug cables turnon, and it goes BLUETOOTH AUX BLUETOOTH AUX. so i cant seem to get the USB to pop back up. I was wondering for this Dice unit, does it announce BT, AUX, SIRIUS, USB all the time or if it just announces what is connected. I do not have SIRIUS connected and sometimes it gives me that option. so I dont know. so, now i have the most up to date firmware, and it cannot detect my iphone. I tried direct connection from unit to 2 ipod cables. I dont know if my unit is faulty now or what. I am going to contact EAS on monday since they are closed on the weekends. Also how to u "reset" the mediabridge?

In the end, my ride with DICE has been very bumpy. I think the concept is great but they can REALLY use better software engineers. For some people the install and operation might be a cakewalk but for me, maybe im just unlucky. Hope this review helps.
guest1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Thank You SO VERY MUCH for writing this!
So I guess none of their firmware updates fixed the sloppy, off center fonts for the Nav Screen?
Bluetooth is only okay and the MOST unforgivable flaw, the same old confusing interface is still a problem!
Customer service is scattered depending on what you need and what you bought.

For $329 that is NOT acceptable!

I'm about to install Navigation and was looking thru my options and I don't think this review did anything for adding mediabridge to my list.

I really don't want to spend the $$$ for OEM bluetooth and the Intravee for the iPod but it seems to be the only real option at press time for the E46 Navigation.

Said and done I may just get the oem AUX -in kit ($36) for iPod until later on when the Intravee 2 becomes available in the USA or until DICE sort out it's Mediabridge issues.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
guest1013

update on my mediabridge!

Okay, so here goes an update on my Mediabridge 1500 Saga.

I figured out why my mediabridge was not showing USB for my iphone4. I called the Dice support on the weekend, and the guy called me back and told me that I needed to plug in an ipod. I told him my situation in regards to how my bridge DID work prior to my updating firmware with my iphone4 and he was surprised that it worked prior and said he was reporting to his boss that there was some kind of issue with the iphone4s. I dont know exactly what the issue is but I tried pluggin in an ipod 80gb video that I had. I plugged it in on HOLD mode and it finally recognized it and began charging. I then unplugged it and pluggged back in my iphone 4 and now it works again. I did recognize one thing, it seems the bridge works the BEST when u plug in ur ipod when it is on HOLD or when ur iphone is sleeping. I've used it a couple times nowand I make sure the iphone is asleep before plluging it in.

So now, i am very happy to see that it is working and not a hardware malfunction/bunk unit.

I also figured out a way to turn off the stupid voice command. I dont know how i did, i was just pushing random buttons on my radio and i got one to go "voice command off" or something. I really tink DICE should come out with really detail instructions and tell us what exactly certain things mean. LIke i dont know what INIT means, or OVERCURRENC, etc. I have also noticed that u need to be patient with the mediabridge. When u hit Mode u need to give it a second to operate. Definitly do not be impatient. The software is a tad laggy so u need to just be patient with it. I have also still noticed my fonts going from big to small to big to small. I thought this issue had been fixed with the new firmware update but i guess it has not. I just switch back to my gps to avoid looking at the ugly one liners.

When listening to music and scrolling through songs, u hit next and it will interrupt the current song with a pause and recontinue with 2 seconds of the song and then finally go to next track. just a little annoying not like the stock next where it cuts the music completely and goes to next track.

All in all, the mediabridge is doing EXACTLY what i wanted it to do, it is charging my iphone4 with bumper. I ran a black griffin cable to my eurotray and its a clean install, i have no interference and i play music via my iphone. So I am happy in that sense. Now all I need is DICE to make the user interface awesome and i will be super happy. We all know DICE is working on ways to continually improve so hopefully they will be able to bring even better software to these mediabridge units.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:06 AM   #4
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
how is the unit currently, im debating wheather to get this or the dynavin unit
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Ivanhoe

My Ride: BMW 330 xi 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarryd_stephens View Post
how is the unit currently, im debating wheather to get this or the dynavin unit
Me too, please your updated
Ivanhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
guest1013

updated

I have never used the dynavin personally nor do i know enough to compare the two units. The Dynavin looks like it does a great job replacing the whole OEM nav unit but I think if glare is an issue, that would bug me a lot. I have never seen one in person so I couldnt tell you. If i were u I would read the dynavin threads and see what they think. there is a huge price difference in dynavin and a simple mediabridge unit.

As for the mediabridge, right now its still working. Does its job, charges my iphone and plays the music through the speakers. The display and User interface could use a little fixing but I can't complain other than that. Like lots of people say on here, its the one that is the least crappiest lol. hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
Ivanhoe

My Ride: BMW 330 xi 2005
Thanks, of course it helps. On my case I want to install my Ipod/Iphone with the car audio system and I was reading the options that we can have, and to be clear the cost of the alternatives is an issue, but my main concern is to dissasembly lot parts of the car and then the systems sucks o do not work properly.

My car is in really good shape and I do not have " birds ", I mean birds all this small noises inside de cabin when someone do not install the plastic parts correctly. ( I hate this internal tick-tick and you spend a lot of time looking where they are, and then when you find another appear )
Ivanhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Dension is coming out with a new unit as well gateway 5. I will be checking that out

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
guest1013

the install was cake and very easy. i removed the OEM Nav unit which was a ***** but realized after removing it that u didnt need to lol. OEM nav uses the trunk harness/cd changer and its pretty money. Install is fairly easty and srtraight forward. glove box easy to remove. no rattles. i have the euro long tray thing and i removed my cup holders. run the iphone cable into there.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #10
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanzboy View Post
... The Dynavin looks like it does a great job replacing the whole OEM nav unit but I think if glare is an issue, that would bug me a lot...
The Dynavin 5 has gone to a matte display. Due to recent upgrades it's best to look at the Dynavin 5 specific thread for features and out of the box iPhone support. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437
Old 10-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
I have never used the dynavin personally nor do i know enough to compare the two units. The Dynavin looks like it does a great job replacing the whole OEM nav unit but I think if glare is an issue, that would bug me a lot. I have never seen one in person so I couldnt tell you. If i were u I would read the dynavin threads and see what they think. there is a huge price difference in dynavin and a simple mediabridge unit.

As for the mediabridge, right now its still working. Does its job, charges my iphone and plays the music through the speakers. The display and User interface could use a little fixing but I can't complain other than that. Like lots of people say on here, its the one that is the least crappiest lol. hope this helps.
There was an update posted back in august that correct the display issues in NAV, made sure your MediaBridge's firmware is up to date.

More info can be found here: http://diceelectronics.com/fw-update.php
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
bender
hammer talks like this

My Ride: 2006 Honda insight
Send a message via AIM to bender
My experience with the MB and my iphone 4 hasn't been as expected. I can't seem it get the MB to default to USB when starting my car. It either goes to Sirus or AUX, but no USB. When I hit the up arrow on the steering wheel it will scroll to INIT or VOL, but not USB. I have to disconnect the iphone and most times it says something like wait "20 mins." I dont know what is going on, but I would like it to be a lot smoother process. 15% of the time it works.

Help or advice?
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bender View Post
My experience with the MB and my iphone 4 hasn't been as expected. I can't seem it get the MB to default to USB when starting my car. It either goes to Sirus or AUX, but no USB. When I hit the up arrow on the steering wheel it will scroll to INIT or VOL, but not USB. I have to disconnect the iphone and most times it says something like wait "20 mins." I dont know what is going on, but I would like it to be a lot smoother process. 15% of the time it works.

Help or advice?
Is the iPod/iPhone in sleep mode when you are trying to select modes? If so - it will not recognize until it is powered up.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
guest1013

try sleep and not sleep mode

i agree, sometimes u have to play with teh MB to finally get used to it. I used to be frustrated as well when I couldnt find the iphoine on USB. what i do now and it works everytime is I make sure my iphone is sleeping, then plug it in and when u see that its charging, then it should work and u can mode scroll to the USB ipod. I know a while back talking to a DICE rep that he said to plug in an old ipod in sleep mode, and see if it works then plug in iphione. i did this and it works all the time now.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
rpg

My Ride: '01 530i
I'm aware this is an old thread but I wanted to respond specifically to this post.
Quote:
When listening to music and scrolling through songs, u hit next and it will interrupt the current song with a pause and recontinue with 2 seconds of the song and then finally go to next track. just a little annoying not like the stock next where it cuts the music completely and goes to next track.
This happens with me also - it's not going to make me return the unit but it sounds like a CD skipping and is very irritating. Anyone else experience this and/or find a way around it?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
Aking23

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
soo i just bought a Mediabridge for my 99 3 sedan and i have birds and whines and all that. I used the trunk wires but i dont have nav just the regular business cd one. Need help tryna figure out how to make this thing work cuz the chirping is really hurting my ears