E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
riverjamie

My Ride: 528i
How much ATF does it take to do Turkey Baster method on Pwr Str change.

Had some PS issues lately. Pump went out replaced pump, hoses, and reservoir. Filled system but new pump was no good leaking. So had to replace again. Then filled system and started turkey baster method. I've put 2 qts in it so far but still does not look like new ATF? Any thoughts?

Maybe I not doing it properly. What I've been doing is putting ATF starting car wait till it changes color again, then suck it out and refill, and do again. The ATF is off color but seems okay just off color?

Thanks
riverjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
You're doing it correctly. The PS system holds about 2 quarts so it'll take several shots with the turkey baster to get the fluid reasonably clean. Did you replace the PS reservoir? It's not expensive, but make sure you buy one made by ZF. Then flush the PS system using the proper fluid.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
The PS system is one of the more difficult ones to fully drain the fluid. Just need to keep cycling the old fluid out.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
David F

My Ride: 323i, 740iL, 633CSi
I hope you changed the reservoir as well. The filter is part of the reservoir. Otherwise, you are wasting your time.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
The second sentence of his post states that he changed the reservoir. Read, people!
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
The second sentence of his post states that he changed the reservoir. Read, people!
But what if he didn't change the reservoir? The filter's in there you know.

In any case I went through 2 quarts when I did mine and it ended up looking good, although not brand new. I also turned the wheel lock-to-lock to cycle more fluid through the system. Now I've gotten in the habit of just pulling the fluid out of the reservoir and refilling it after every other autocross. That's where the fluid really gets heated up so I figure for the few bucks it costs to do that I keep nice fresh and unburned fluid in the system.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
David F

My Ride: 323i, 740iL, 633CSi
Sheesh, excuse me.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #8
riverjamie

My Ride: 528i
Yes, I did change the reservoir and all hoses and pump. Actually I had to change the pump twice because the first pump started leaking. Going to keep flushing the system. My only regret is that I was using Dexron 6 full syn first, now out of that and have to use Dexron 3. The car is used just for regular use so should be okay with just Dexron 3. Will keep basting.
riverjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
ChuckyVee

My Ride: 2000 323i
How much ATF does it take to do Turkey Baster method on Pwr Str change.

A soap or shampoo bottle with a pump and a longish feeder tube does very well with evacuating the majority of the fluid in the reservoir. You'll need a can or something to catch the stuff you pump out obviously.

First Bimmer..."Miss December"...2000 323i, purchased Dec. 2013 w/82K on the clock. PM thus far...pads/rotors, belts/pulleys, complete CS overhaul, FCABs, plugs, autotranny/differential service, fuel pump, filter, and relay. Emergency repairs...PS pump, turn signal stalk, CPS, Ignition Coil #2 cyl, electric aux fan.

Last edited by ChuckyVee; 02-09-2015 at 10:12 PM.
ChuckyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #10
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverjamie View Post
Yes, I did change the reservoir and all hoses and pump. Actually I had to change the pump twice because the first pump started leaking. Going to keep flushing the system. My only regret is that I was using Dexron 6 full syn first, now out of that and have to use Dexron 3. The car is used just for regular use so should be okay with just Dexron 3. Will keep basting.
The practical difference between Dexron III and VI is that VI has more friction durability, viscosity stability, aeration and foam control, and oxidation resistance. It's all improvements across the board. It's entirely backwards compatible and will not cause issues. Also, all licensing to produce Dexron III expired in 2006, so any ATF simply labelled as "suitable for Dexron III" is potentially untested, unverified, and sub-par fluid.