E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
M56NUB

My Ride: 2004 325ci M56
CAN EML/DSC/BRAKE Issue Be Related/Covered By?

***UPDATED POST TITLE and QUESTION***

Just want to say thanks for leaning me towards the right direction as far as maintenance and my apologies for asking without looking. lol

With that said......perhaps I may not be looking *again*.....but I am currently having the dreaded EML/DSC/BRAKE/Limp Mode issue with my 2004 325CI M56 SULEV (under 100k miles). I know....from what I've read, not a very good decision and frowned upon.

This may be a repetitive subject but I don't think I've come across any SULEV's with this issue in reference to the 15 year / 150,000 mile emissions service bulletin warranty.

http://www.ge39.com/files/M56sulev.pdf
http://chrisparente.com/wp-content/u...dbook_2005.pdf
http://chrisparente.com/2012/07/17/h...comment-225548

Most SULEV stories referencing to this warranty pertain to the fuel pump/gas tank.

Would and/or could the EML/DSC/BRAKE/Lim Mode issue be related in anyway and/or covered by this warranty since it includes relevent emission components such as the TB, ICV, and intake?

I greatlly appreciate any negative, flaming, positive, intellectual, and/or constructive critism/advice. Thanks ahead!

** This M56 NUB is like a newborn baby that can't even walk, I'm learning! **

Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and now a 2004 325ci M56 owner. Unfortunately, I purchased the car from a friend knowing that it currently has mechanical issues....but under a shy 100k miles and for the price, I thought I'd take the risk. I know, I know....probably a bad move for an SULEV.

The vechicle hasn't seen much driving time during the past 3-4 years. I'd say no more than once a week. I'm sure having a vehicle sit around most of the time isn't a good thing either.

With that said: From the smallest little detail, what maintenance, extra precautions, and/or replacement parts should be done to the vehicle? Of course, without a service history to list, you have nothing to touch base on. Let's assume nothing has been done to the vehicle other than basic fluids such as oil, during the last 60,000 miles.

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2850.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	631703  

Last edited by M56NUB; 05-12-2016 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Dumb question without looking :)
M56NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Andres0286

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Ill direct you nicely before post police shows up. There are a few stickies on the top of the page with tons of useful information and before any questions are asked, always use the search function. That said, check this post out.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...1&postcount=55
Andres0286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
^ You redirected that nicely before it got nasty. Good job!

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Andres0286

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post

thank you! Not my first forum membership lol
Andres0286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:29 AM   #5
M56NUB

****BUMP****

Please read updated title and question.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:30 AM   #6
M56NUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres0286 View Post
Ill direct you nicely before post police shows up. There are a few stickies on the top of the page with tons of useful information and before any questions are asked, always use the search function. That said, check this post out.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...1&postcount=55
Very kind, you are....much appreciated, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post

Last edited by M56NUB; 05-12-2016 at 02:32 AM.