E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
mrbobmicjoe

My Ride: 2001 325i
Getrag 5 Speed to ZF 5 Speed Swap

About to do this swap for my turbo build. Was wondering if this box fits the same as the getrag. Would i need anything else for this to work?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
iowna330xi

My Ride: is not yet fast.
I think I read that you might need a different driveshaft because the Zf has a bigger output flange. Also something about a 4 bolt driveshaft?
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...to-Manual-Swap
iowna330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
AndreBXP

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Is the ZF you're getting the stock 330 5spd? If so,

Check RealOEM and compare the P/N between the 330 driveshaft and the 325 driveshaft. If the number is the same then it should work. If not then you'll need to source a 330 driveshaft. Shift linkage should be the same (Rebuild this while you're there and replace your CSB and Guibo as well to save yourself a headache down the road)

Good luck.
AndreBXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #4
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
my 99 328 has the ZF, I thought all 99-00 E46 manuals did.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
mrbobmicjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowna330xi View Post
I think I read that you might need a different driveshaft because the Zf has a bigger output flange. Also something about a 4 bolt driveshaft?
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...to-Manual-Swap
Thanks for that link, tons of useful information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreBXP View Post
Is the ZF you're getting the stock 330 5spd? If so,

Check RealOEM and compare the P/N between the 330 driveshaft and the 325 driveshaft. If the number is the same then it should work. If not then you'll need to source a 330 driveshaft. Shift linkage should be the same (Rebuild this while you're there and replace your CSB and Guibo as well to save yourself a headache down the road)

Good luck.
I already had done so and saw that the ZF driveshaft was slightly longer, but i wanted to double check and make sure if anyone has attempted this before. According to the article sent by iowna330xi, you can remove the getrag output flange and install that on the ZF box. I think im going to go that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
my 99 328 has the ZF, I thought all 99-00 E46 manuals did.
Nope! 325's came with the shitty getrag box

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 04-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #6
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbobmicjoe View Post
Nope! 325's came with the shitty getrag box
How is the Getrag shitty Don't get it.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:15 PM   #7
blarf

My Ride: 323i, 325iT, 540iT
If nothing else the Getrag box has shorter internal linkage -- the stock 330 shifter will give you nice short throws on the Getrag box.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
iowna330xi

My Ride: is not yet fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
How is the Getrag shitty Don't get it.
When naturally aspirated it's fine, but when going sc or turbo many people prefer the Zf because it is beefier and can handle more torque. Hence why the 330i's and M3's have Zf.

Last edited by iowna330xi; 04-27-2016 at 09:37 PM.
iowna330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:39 PM   #9
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: used to be an auto
Keep in mind you cant run a 330 drive shaft on a 325 unless you change to a 330 diff. 6 bolt connection to diff instead of 4
Instagram: @CarbonZHP
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:50 PM   #10
mrbobmicjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonZHP View Post
Keep in mind you cant run a 330 drive shaft on a 325 unless you change to a 330 diff. 6 bolt connection to diff instead of 4

Thanks for the tip. Hoping that swapping the output flange will work.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:09 AM   #11
hitbyastick

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowna330xi View Post
When naturally aspirated it's fine, but when going sc or turbo many people prefer the Zf because it is beefier and can handle more torque. Hence why the 330i's and M3's have Zf.
The inference is that Getrag makes shitty gearboxes but in the MB world, they don't. Those boxes last forever and are known to be pretty bulletproof. They also shift awesome. In MBs of course. I'm not buying the 'Getrag is shitty' nonsense. BMW specs the gearboxes anyway. Everybody thinks the GM autos are shitty and the ZFs are better, but that's also nonsense. If the zed F manuals that come in the 330s and M3s are stronger, then that's a function of the BMW spec, not because Getrag somehow manufactures weak or otherwise inferior gearboxes. Blame BMW not Getrag. Furthermore, my manual transmission shifts very nicely thank you very much.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:35 AM   #12
blarf

My Ride: 323i, 325iT, 540iT
Quote:
The inference is that Getrag makes shitty gearboxes but in the MB world, they don't. Those boxes last forever and are known to be pretty bulletproof. They also shift awesome. In MBs of course. I'm not buying the 'Getrag is shitty' nonsense. BMW specs the gearboxes anyway. Everybody thinks the GM autos are shitty and the ZFs are better, but that's also nonsense. If the zed F manuals that come in the 330s and M3s are stronger, then that's a function of the BMW spec, not because Getrag somehow manufactures weak or otherwise inferior gearboxes. Blame BMW not Getrag. Furthermore, my manual transmission shifts very nicely thank you very much.
That particular Getrag box is not as strong as that particular ZF box (hence the model numbers). Meanwhile, E46 M3s got Getrag boxes and those shift just fine.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:54 AM   #13
mrbobmicjoe

Quote:
Lighten up man, the shitty part was just a joke. Like people are saying, the getrags work great for N/A cars, but in the F/I world they dont do as well. Superchargers wear them out quicker and higher HP turbo setups can destroy them. Ask hobbit382, hes destroyed 3 of the getrag 5 speeds.

Its honestly no ones fault, as the gearboxes were never intended or designed to handle the extra power. Im not sure if its a question of being weak or inferior, but maybe just that the ZF is designed differently and handles power better.

My getrags shifts fine too, just upgrading to the zf before my turbo eats it
Old 04-28-2016, 04:23 AM   #14
BKMrSteel

I can attest just how indestructible the ZF can be. Heard a story from someone who's ZF leaked so bad, that he filled the trans fluid only when so much was lost he couldn't get it into gear. My car had the original ZF "Unlimited Life" oil at 200k miles, only 1/2qt of sludge. Maybe someone can enlighten more info on this massive sticker on the trans, haha. Oh well, still works! They are also inexpensive.

I think hitbyastick, was, well... Were you hit by a stick? I would be upset too....

Last edited by BKMrSteel; 04-28-2016 at 04:24 AM.
BKMrSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:59 PM   #15
hitbyastick

Quote:
I think hitbyastick, was, well... Were you hit by a stick? I would be upset too....

Jesus Christ on a cracker you're funny. Holy Schitt on a shingle that's hilarious and would you believe I've never heard it before.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #16
BKMrSteel

Its all just for fun
Old 04-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #17
hitbyastick

Quote:
Its all just for fun
Always
Old 01-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #18
18rabbit

My Ride: '02 330it
Mrbobmicjoe - I'm wondering if you had success with swapping the Getrag output flange to the ZF transmission? What driveshaft did you use? Isn't the Getrag transmission shorter than the ZF? I have a ZF transmission and a Getrag driveshaft and see that the driveshaft is too small in diameter to mate to the ZF guibo...
18rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #19
mrbobmicjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18rabbit View Post
Mrbobmicjoe - I'm wondering if you had success with swapping the Getrag output flange to the ZF transmission? What driveshaft did you use? Isn't the Getrag transmission shorter than the ZF? I have a ZF transmission and a Getrag driveshaft and see that the driveshaft is too small in diameter to mate to the ZF guibo...
I kept my 325 differential, so in order to make that work with the ZF, i had to purchase a driveshaft from a manual 328. This driveshaft has the bigger flange for the ZF transmission, but will still mate up to your 325 differential.

If you really want to put in work, you can swap a 330 differential and then use a 330 driveshaft. Two options, up to you

Last edited by mrbobmicjoe; 01-19-2017 at 10:37 PM.
mrbobmicjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:52 PM   #20
18rabbit

My Ride: '02 330it
You mean in order to make the zf 5 speed work with your 325 diff you used a manual driveshaft from a 328?
18rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote