E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #21
speedracerE46

My Ride: E46 M3
can anybody post a pic of the relay and the location thanks.
speedracerE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #22
zipdog

My Ride: 2001 m3
Send a message via Yahoo to zipdog
I pulled my codes and got p1747 and p1709 ...both "manufacturer transmission control" what does this mean...?
zipdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #23
wilsel

My Ride: 05 AW M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipdog View Post
I pulled my codes and got p1747 and p1709 ...both "manufacturer transmission control" what does this mean...?
Checkout this post:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/archive.../t-551528.html

Last edited by wilsel; 12-29-2010 at 07:25 PM.
wilsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #24
IFX

My Ride: AW //M
sorry to threadjack, but where the hell is the SMG fluid reservoir?
Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #25
sadbilal

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
SMG warning light came on out of nowhere

Yesterday I drove my car 15 mins from my house with the AC on sat in the car with AC on for like another 10-15 mins waiting for my friends to arrive than I shut the car off and the just pulled the windows down. When I turned the ignition back on to second position to put the windows back up I saw the smg warning light on. First I thought it was just on along with all other lights that come on right before I start the car but this light didn't go away. So I got on the forums right away to figure out what the problem might be because according to the owners manual the light means that smg gearbox is not working properly and they suggested taking the car to dealer. Here I read that in hot weather with AC on usually the light comes on. After I got done and started the car again after about 45 mins the light was gone. I am hoping that the light came on because the AC was on and it was hot out. You guys have any ideas as to how can I get it checked or scanned for codes. The car is out of warranty and I def don't feel like spending 4-5k on a transmission. Also some members suggested topping off smg reservior. I am really not sure where that is located.
sadbilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:33 AM   #26
realxfresh

My Ride: Carbon Black M3
I just installed the blisstien pss9 (fronts only) and had the car up for about 3.5 hrs when finished and driving the car the cog light came on, no sudden shut offs or anything but i turned the car on and off a few times and the light persisted, i noticed there was some fluid on the undercarriage but im not sure what kind. any input? i changed the relay and the fluid level is full
realxfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #27
03DinanS2

My Ride: 2003 M3 Dinan Stage4
Quote:
Originally Posted by realxfresh View Post
I just installed the blisstien pss9 (fronts only) and had the car up for about 3.5 hrs when finished and driving the car the cog light came on, no sudden shut offs or anything but i turned the car on and off a few times and the light persisted, i noticed there was some fluid on the undercarriage but im not sure what kind. any input? i changed the relay and the fluid level is full
What is this cog light? the SMG light? Noob here. Waiting on owners manual to arrive in mail.
03DinanS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #28
BillMc5

My Ride: 2003 M3 E46 SMG
SMG Warnign Light (Cog of Death)

Just picked up my '03 E46 two weeks ago today, one owner, incredibly maintained, 99K miles, but like new. (smg pump replaced and under warranty), Driving to a friends house, sitting at light, it's jumps into neutral and will not go into gear. Towed home and hoping for good news. Seems like the "salmon" relay appears to be the culprit in most cases. My tranny has been rock solid and everything is tight. Seems like something electronic. $81.00 tow home and now will call my mechanic to pick up. I was taking in this week for a major service anyway. I just hope this is minor! I'll listen to any thoughts since I am a new M3 owner. I love this car. Thanks
BillMc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #29
03DinanS2

My Ride: 2003 M3 Dinan Stage4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMc5 View Post
Just picked up my '03 E46 two weeks ago today, one owner, incredibly maintained, 99K miles, but like new. (smg pump replaced and under warranty), Driving to a friends house, sitting at light, it's jumps into neutral and will not go into gear. Towed home and hoping for good news. Seems like the "salmon" relay appears to be the culprit in most cases. My tranny has been rock solid and everything is tight. Seems like something electronic. $81.00 tow home and now will call my mechanic to pick up. I was taking in this week for a major service anyway. I just hope this is minor! I'll listen to any thoughts since I am a new M3 owner. I love this car. Thanks
Check out this link buddy. FYI...for everyone out there who swears by the salmon relay, do some research. That relay completes the circuit to charge your pump accumulator. So if you hear the accumulator charge when you unlock your car or open the door, dont waste ur money, and please stop posting about the "salmon relay" it doesnt have special powers.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=855810

2003 Dinan Stage4, 1996 Maxima GLE 3.0, 1999 F-350 Dually 7.3, 2004 VTX1300, 2008 CBR1000RR, 2004 CBR1000RR
03DinanS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #30
bkriaras1

My Ride: 2002.5 m3
anyone figure out what the problem is?

///02 Alpine White SMG ///
bkriaras1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #31
M3driftking

My Ride: M3 smg
I have been having this problem on my car it's the most annoying thing ever!!!! What am I looking for when I take the drivers wheel off and casing? Is it a small black box?

Thanks
M3driftking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #32
Misfit77

My Ride: 03 M3
Look into replacing the Temperature sensor. This a very common problem, and everyone seems to have a different solution. The main issue is the temperature sensor for the HCU (Pump) BMW has been made aware but will do nothing. Most of the time, mechanics assume it's a pump failure, it may be, but is not always the case. They just don't want to diagnose the problem. I've been looking into various fixes for some time. Same thing on my 04 SMG with 65K. Try replacing Fan sensor, SMG Relay, Water temp sensor, thermostat, water pump first before attacking the pump or tranny. These are all reasonable fixes before you start spending $$$ This is my checklist, if none of this works, I'll know it's the pump.
Misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #33
M3driftking

Yesterday I was driving my car home when it slipped out of gear and the 0 started flashing. so I stopped switched the car off left it for a few seconds and started it up again. It was fine for about 3 miles. As I set off from a junction I selected 2nd and it went in gear for about 4seconds and then the 2 started flashing and I lost all power!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #34
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Sounds like the temp sensor deal, but you should get your codes read and report back in a new thread. More than happy to assist.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #35
M3driftking

How do I open a new thread? Can't see the option on my iPhone
Old 07-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #36
roadtrip1098

Hmmm the app may not have the option. If you're on a PC and go to the ///M3 section of the forums there's a button to post a new topic. You can always PM me once the codes are read though and I'll help you troubleshoot it.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #37
M3driftking

After I lost all power I pulled over and turned it off! I left it for a few mins and tried to restart it but it was totally dead. I jumped out and had a look under the car n there was fluid everywhere
Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #38
roadtrip1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3driftking View Post
After I lost all power I pulled over and turned it off! I left it for a few mins and tried to restart it but it was totally dead. I jumped out and had a look under the car n there was fluid everywhere
I hate to jump to a conclusion, but it sounds like part of your SMG system has ruptured. I would hazard a guess at the accumulator. Sadly this is normally replaced with the SMG pump and not an inexpensive nor an easy fix. Putting it on a lift will confirm this by checking to see where the fluid is coming from.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #39
M3driftking

Thanks for the reply! My mechanic said its the slave cylinder leaking so it's being replaced so we can see if there is any further damage.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #40
tehno0b

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG LSB
I was driving on a traffic this afternoon at San Francisco and I'm going up hill, instead of breaking, I just hold my gas to hang the car from rolling backwards until this smell like cluth burning or tire burning came in, I thought it was the construction truck that's in front of me that spits out smoke in any angle but then I saw this Gear like light with ! in the middle (assuming SMG signal light) turned on. so I pulled on the curb and turned off my car, left it for 3 mins. then turned the car back on and the light was gone.. I drove back home (60miles) and it shifts and runs fine.. outside temp is at 78 btw.. so.. is it the SMG or the clutch? can I still drive my car back to frisco tomorrow or just leave it in the garage?

Last edited by tehno0b; 07-26-2012 at 09:08 PM.
tehno0b is offline   Reply With Quote