E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #21
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
If you're going to let your sister drive it again, and I probably would considering family and all, I don't think I'd put a lightened flywheel and non-stock clutch in. Performance clutches and lightweight flywheels can be fairly unforgiving. Stock stuff works well and is designed to make it easier to use, which means you probably still have the CDV in (clutch delay valve).

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #22
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP,

Unlikely, but before you assume all is toast and order parts, might just ask a local fanatic that knows how to drive a stick to come over and have your sister give him or her the keys to test it out.

She doesn't know how to drive a clutch, so no telling whether she really doesn't, unless you find someone that really does.

I'd think that a severely heated pressure plate would cause clutch to loose grip..my e36 used to buck wildly in stop and go traffic coz it didn't cruise in idle like the e46...clutch would heat up and just not grip well at all.

Prolly clutch...be we have to consider the source! Nothing personal...I'm sure guys want photos of her!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #23
Bimmerman330

My Ride: 330Ci,
Send a message via AIM to Bimmerman330
on a side note. If you are looking for a good indy shop in orange county. Call up Ronin, they charged me a really fair price when it came to installing my fuel pump. I got screwed over on a clutch replacement before going to these guys... wish I should've gone there first. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #24
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
I would have hidden the key or taken it with me. She broke it, she fixes it. If she doesn't have the money, what is she doing driving it? Drop her off on a corner to raise the funds.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #25
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I would have hidden the key or taken it with me. She broke it, she fixes it. If she doesn't have the money, what is she doing driving it? Drop her off on a corner to raise the funds.
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #26
habbyguy

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
I bought a Fiat X1/9 brand new in '76.

I let my sister drive it and she mis-shifted and killed the third gear syncro (so I got to listen to it grind every time I went into third).

Eventually I dropped the drivetrain with a 5-speed and bigger engine in the car (after a fuel pump diaphragm failure killed the engine). I titled it in my ex's name. Then she took "her car" when we split. Then totaled it.

Moral of story: Never buy a Fiat.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #27
g6

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
chivalrous bro..

i would just fix it yourself. people make mistakes, and its your sister. like op said family is far far more important than this trivial event.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #28
330exeye

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Wow, some straight up evil people in here! If my fam was ready to beat/kill/disown me over a clutch, I think I'd be worried about a little more than just the car.
Sounds like you're lucky enough to have this happen while your away and don't need the car. I had replaced my clutch in my old car with a single mass vs dual and I must say, this upgrade is not for someone who can hardly diagnose a burnt up clutch (not to be offensive). light weight flywheels and Sport clutches are heavy and finicky, meaning bye bye smooth shifts, more power off the line(no more 1k starts) and not as easy to pull off in second. I'd say go stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Reminisce View Post
It is indeed called E46fanatics, not E46wellthiscarisokthewayitissowhymodit
330exeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #29
bimmerboyclub

My Ride: BMW 330cic 2002
Okay so I found out the problem! The clutch actually still has some life on it. The problem is my slave cylinder. It is burnt up. My friend is quoting me at 200 for the slave cylinder with about 3 hours of labor! I'm pretty ecstatic right now, that this was the only problem. I genuinely appreciate all of your help, and if any of you are in DC meet me at Eden on Thursday night, i'll buy you a few shots of patron. Thanks again guys! This forum is the SHIET!
bimmerboyclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #30
MISSISSIPPI ZHP

My Ride: 2004 BLACK 330I ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyclub View Post
I appreciate all of your posts! Is the clutch disk a part of the "clutch kit." Or is that something different in and of itself. And what does a "lighted" flywheel mean? Used? Sorry, I am not familiar with the lingo, to be honest i have no idea what a flywheel is or does even. Also what is the gearbox?
.....THE STEALERSHIP LOVES THIS GUY AND THEY DONT EVEN KNOW HIM YET

THANK GOD YOUR SMART ENOUGH TO DO SOME RESEARCH SO YOUR NOT GETTING TOTALLY RIPPED OFF BY SOMEONE
MISSISSIPPI ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #31
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
get her a civic and replace your clutch when you're back with your car. That'll give you an excuse to not let her drive your car.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #32
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
it's just a car...
Old 09-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #33
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
it's just a car...
Yes, and this is the internetz - where we all pimp our own siblings.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #34
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
so you're pissed that your clutch needs to be replaced on an 8 year old car? One incident like that isn't going to turn a brand new clutch into toast, so your clutch disc was probably already on the way out, especially if she was having problems getting up the hill in first gear.

Learn your lesson, and teach her to drive stick a bit better. FYI, my original clutch taught three other people how to drive stick, and was still in pretty good shape when replaced at 100,000 miles
One incident like this could easily shred even a brand new clutch. Having the clutch pedal fully released while the car is not moving and the engine is being revved to 5k+ rpm will make quick work of any organic clutch after 15 or 20 seconds.

That sucks. I am skeptical about even letting my brother borrow my car, and he drives a manual car on a daily basis. I have 110k on the original clutch and it shows no signs of slippage yet.

Last edited by DangerousMind; 09-09-2010 at 12:07 PM.
DangerousMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #35
Toad21

My Ride: 00' 328CI
Long story short, dont ever let anyone else ever drive your car. Also, that story doesnt make any sense at all, she is lying.

Especially women.

I will not let my girlfriend drive my car period.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #36
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Woo hooo I was right in my first post. Well kind of. I said it could be the slave cylinder although I doubted it! Sorry had to toot my own horn on that one. Op I'm glad you got it figured out, and be glad it was only the slave, although sooner or later you will need a clutch. Let's just hope its later for your sake . Enjoy your stay in the dc/nova area its beautiful minus the traffic!

Sent from my SPH-M900 using BimmerApp
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, manual transmission, transmission, won't go in to gear