E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #1
Nd951

My Ride: 01 330ci
Wheel Fitment 330Ci

I picked up some Factory E46 wheels the standard 7 spoke wheel for snows but they will not fit on my car, its rubbing on the brake caliper. I though this car could fit 16 in wheels

Nd951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
Rick4345

My Ride: F30 Mineral Gray
Wheels

This could be your problem.

If you have the M Sport package, like I do on mine, the front offset is 41 and the rear is 50. I've been looking on Tire Rack for some new 18 inch summer wheels and the offset I see most is above 41.

Just because you buy a wheel that is for an E46 doesn't mean that it's going to fit all models.

Look on Tire Rack. They have a 16 inch tire/wheel package. See what they recommend for offset.

Believe me, I'd love to have a set of M3 wheels for mine, but it's not going to happen without a square setup because of the offset of the rear wheels being only 26 for the M3.
Rick4345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
Nd951

My Ride: 01 330ci
Ok that makes sense I have the M sport package tried the back wheel first and that was a bust.

Thanks for the info
Nd951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #4
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
What does M sport package have anything to do with the offset the brakes and offset needed? Brakes are identical across all 330ci's.

Anways, 16's DO NOT FIT. There are several rims that are 16's that do fit, and by several, i mean literally just a couple. Other than that, due to the larger brakes, in most scenarios you will need 17's to fit. I am fairly certain that any 16" OEM bmw rim will not fit 330ci's due to the larger size of the brakes.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
Rick4345

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
What does M sport package have anything to do with the offset the brakes and offset needed? Brakes are identical across all 330ci's.

Anways, 16's DO NOT FIT. There are several rims that are 16's that do fit, and by several, i mean literally just a couple. Other than that, due to the larger brakes, in most scenarios you will need 17's to fit. I am fairly certain that any 16" OEM bmw rim will not fit 330ci's due to the larger size of the brakes.
I'm not an expert by far. What I've learned in my small 40 years of working on cars and watching people use spare tires that rubbed the brake calipers because they bought a second hand wheel that was the right diameter but the wrong offset. The offset has to do with how far your wheel is from the suspension and brake system. This is the first E46 I've owned, but the principle of offset and width can be applied to many vehicles.

If you use a 16 inch wheel, try one with a 7.5 inch width and an offset of 36, you should be good to go. Tire Rack only lists the Sport Edition wheel as a recommendation. As you said, they are few, a person just has to make the right choice.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
I'm not an expert by far. What I've learned in my small 40 years of working on cars and watching people use spare tires that rubbed the brake calipers because they bought a second hand wheel that was the right diameter but the wrong offset. The offset has to do with how far your wheel is from the suspension and brake system. This is the first E46 I've owned, but the principle of offset and width can be applied to many vehicles.

If you use a 16 inch wheel, try one with a 7.5 inch width and an offset of 36, you should be good to go. Tire Rack only lists the Sport Edition wheel as a recommendation. As you said, they are few, a person just has to make the right choice.
I wasn't saying anything against your suggestion about a more aggressive offset at all, however, in your 40 years of working on cars, you do know that the 330ci brakes and offsets are identical, correct? Regardless of this unknown "M sport package" you are talking about.

Having M68 rims is not a package, and if we are talking about the ZHP package, once again, brakes and offsets are identical regardless of packages. Anyways, I digress.

OP, as Rick mentioned, the offsets are as important as the rim size. If you have to high of an offset, the rims are sinking in too much and the back of the spokes are obviously hitting your calipers. If the barrel clears the rim and brakes completely, when you can probably fix this with spacers.

Take a pic of the rims, if they are OEM BMW there should be a stamp on them that shows the wheel dimensions and offset.

Last edited by JJR4884; 02-05-2016 at 11:54 AM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
Rick4345

Never dealt with one to be honest.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #8
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
16s will fit on 323 and 325. The 330 has bigger brakes.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #9
asianisafish

My Ride: 330ci
You should've just got the factory 17s they came with, why did you pick 16s they wouldn't fit over the brakes since 330 have bigger brakes

Last edited by asianisafish; 02-06-2016 at 10:02 AM.
asianisafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #10
CharlieFoxtrot

My Ride: 02 330Ci
I have the Tire Rack's recommended 16-inch "Sport Edition" setup for winter tires on my 330. I would have preferred OE 16" wheels but I never even thought about the brakes being bigger - glad I didn't try it like you did!

The Sport Editions are 7.5" wide with 35mm offset. The style 68 front wheels are 7.5" wide with 41mm offset for the factory staggered setup. So the Sport Editions are 6mm closer to the fender lip than the factory wheels. From the side it looks like you have filled the wheel wells further, yet you actually have skinny 205/55 tires. You get the same sort of "flush" look in the rear. I don't think it's a good look, but that's not important with snow tires...

I wouldn't try using a wider tire, it might rub. This smaller offset is probably required to get a 16" wheel to clear the 330 brakes...
CharlieFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
CharlieFoxtrot

BTW, looks like several of the 16x7" E46 factory wheels are 47mm offset. I don't feel like doing the math to figure out what spacer you'd need to get a 7" 47mm wheel to fit the same as a 7.5" 35mm wheel, but it's something you could look into.

edit: Did the math. A 5mm spacer will put the outer edge of your wheels in the same place as mine, though that doesn't guarantee the back side of your spokes will be where you need. Worth a shot?

Where in CT are you?

Last edited by CharlieFoxtrot; 02-06-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
CharlieFoxtrot

You have style 45s? Link here: http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/45
Old 02-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #13
CharlieFoxtrot

Not a great pic, but it's all I have

Here's the car's first morning in NY, 2/9/15. It misses Florida.

Last edited by CharlieFoxtrot; 02-06-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: resized pics