E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2016, 09:29 AM   #1
dino71

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
2003 330i sedan with sport package, I want to put the same size tires on the car....

And I would like to know what size spacer I would have to put on the rear hubs to compensate for the narrower rim? i think it's about 20mm but I figured I would ask the pro's on here.
dino71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
Mflara20

My Ride: 04 330i
What specs are your rims and tires?
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino71 View Post
And I would like to know what size spacer I would have to put on the rear hubs to compensate for the narrower rim? i think it's about 20mm but I figured I would ask the pro's on here.

What?

Your car has a placard on the drive side door jamb that tells you the various tire sizes that came from the factory. Assuming you are using the rims that the sports package comes with, I think your tire size will be 225/45x17 or 225/40x18.

The narrow rim is not what calls for spacers, by the way. Spacers are needed to cure a tire package that comes into contact with the undercarriage of the car. You can also elect to use them for purely aesthetic purposes, but in this case there is no requirement for anything except that you might need longer lug bolts to hold the tires onto the car.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:53 PM   #4
Spannerhead
Nukular Strategery

My Ride: '02 Orient 330i/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Your car has a placard on the drive side door jamb that tells you the various tire sizes that came from the factory. Assuming you are using the rims that the sports package comes with, I think your tire size will be 225/45x17 or 225/40x18.
ZSP for the 330s comes with a staggered set of 17s, 225/45-17 and 245/40-17. OP wants to go to a square set, either for aesthetics or ease of tire purchasing or what-have-you. He's wondering if will need a spacer if he puts the front wheel size onto the rear of the car.

My advice would be to just jack up one side of the car and eyeball it. Add spacer as needed to get the wheel where you want it.

Current: '02 330i/5 '06 XC90 '72 240Z
Past: '85 RX-7 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #5
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Putting the narrow front size on the wide back wheel will not lead to needing a spacer. It will only lead to a stretched tire -- a narrow tire on a wide rim. Since the rear rim cannot be used on the front of the car, there is no upside of selecting a square tire size on a staggered wheel fitment. The spacer is not REQUIRED, it is desired -- maybe -- for purely aesthetic reasons. There is no mechanical reason to use a spacer on a factory wheel package, even if the tire size that comes on the package is narrower than what the factory calls for.

My advice is to suck it up and buy the right size tires for the wheel package that the car came with. Shop for price in the proper size range. The car cannot have the tires rotated due to the wider rims on the back, so one may as well put the right size tire on all 4 corners of the car.

PS
The OP gave a link hidden in the Subject Line that goes to a WalMart sale ad that includes tires that are 15s and 16s, which have no hope of fitting the factory wheel package.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
Spannerhead
Nukular Strategery

My Ride: '02 Orient 330i/5
He doesn't want to put narrow tires on wider wheels. He wants to put the same wheel and tire package on all four corners. Assuming he's using Style 68s, the offset is different between the fronts and the rears, and he's wondering if the rear wheels will be too far inboard from the fender lips if he uses four fronts all around, necessitating spacers.

Current: '02 330i/5 '06 XC90 '72 240Z
Past: '85 RX-7 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S

Last edited by Spannerhead; 01-28-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
Rob43
Performance Suspension Guru

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Why don't we let the OP ante-up & give us some REAL info to go off of, I personally hate vague crap like this because it makes it very difficult to give a decent response.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

NEW E46 Xi COILOVERS DISCOVERED FOR ~$729 SHIPPED
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Inexpensive Coilovers Like: Jom, RL, SE, RK, SW, & FK.

Last edited by Rob43; 01-28-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
DE46VERT

My Ride: 330ci vert
I have the staggered sport rims with 225/45/17 on all four corners. It is barely noticeable that the rear tires are stretched just a bit compared to the front. Also, I bought the car this way and when I got it the previous owner had rotated the wheels and had the wider rear wheels mounted up front. They fit fine up front. I don't know how other tires sizes may effect this, but with the 225/45/17 size it works fine.
DE46VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #9
BaliDawg
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci 330Ci 530i 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
PS
The OP gave a link hidden in the Subject Line that goes to a WalMart sale ad that includes tires that are 15s and 16s, which have no hope of fitting the factory wheel package.
I think that is just the built-in ads that link to certain key words.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:01 AM   #10
PastureOfMuppets

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
I think that is just the built-in ads that link to certain key words.
"Links added by Viglink".

I don't know why people are overcomplicating the guys question. He wants to put the same size wheels on the rear of the car as the front so it is now square stance.

He wants to know what size spacer to use to put the wheels outer side so it's the same track width as it is now with the bigger wheels.

It's hardly complicated, and it means he would now be able to buy the same tires all round, and rotate them so he gets longer life out of them. It's a smart thing to do in terms of long term budgeting.

Just be aware you will find a little less grip at the rear, so it won't push a little understeer when push comes to shove.

I've not done it, so i don't know. You'll probably be able to eyeball it as someone suggested or someone will show up that's done it before.

You may be able to figure a way to measure it by using a couple of long rulers, but bear in mind there will be some camber on the back. Make as good measurement as you can on the current wheel then put a front on and see how it measures out.

Also, let us know how it turns out.
PastureOfMuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #11
CharlieFoxtrot

My Ride: 02 330Ci
edit: I've seen several people here running style 68 square 7.5s. This was my main point but somehow I forgot to type it. :o

I haven't done it _yet_, but several people here have, successfully -- you can run the style 68s square with 8.5" rears all around. No spacers, fender rolling, or other problems. Soon as I find a clean pair of rears at a reasonable price, I'm doing it. Hey Dino, where are you in NJ? Want to swap my 7.5s for your 8.5s?

The 7.5s have 41mm offset. The 8.5s have 50mm. Difference of 25mm width and 9mm offset, each edge of the wheel is 12.5mm further from centerline than the 7.5. To put the outside edge of the 7.5 in the same place as the 8.5 would take a 3.5mm spacer, which is a hair over 1/8". You'd never know the difference if you just bolted the wheel on without a spacer.

Dino, please pm me some wheel pics if you're interested. I'm in FL now but will be in NY in a week.

Last edited by CharlieFoxtrot; 02-06-2016 at 12:37 PM.
CharlieFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #12
stevemd

My Ride: 330i XC60 Mazdog 6
Found this via search. Sometime down the road, I would like to square my '02 330i sport using identical style 68's as I like the looks of the 68.

From what I read here, 4 rears would do the job. What size summer tire should I go for? 245/40x17?
stevemd is offline   Reply With Quote