E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #21
wolfman

My Ride: 2003 325i
EV with a range extender engine (hence the tailpipe) similar to the Volt?
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #22
weatetheacid88

My Ride: M3 / 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjaneiro View Post
Before i forget, they dealer also had another model there, a bit smaller than the X6 but bigger than the X3, it was a small sized suv, that one also was all covered in tape only had the windows and handles cleared of the white paper, it also looked "off" not quite what BMW would design...well not their lines....also wondering what that was... anyone knows ?
5er GT things are ghey lookin
weatetheacid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #23
zasada518

My Ride: 2001 325i
Send a message via AIM to zasada518
front end resembles the efficient dynamics concept from awhile back. Like most said, eletric or hydrogen car.
CTEUROTRASH
zasada518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
naginalf

My Ride: 325XIT
I really hope that, if they're going to further their hybrid line, they do it right. Having the electric inline with the motor is the half-arsed way of doing hybrid. I was looking into a new hybrid honda CR-Z, and in their history section for the car, the 1985 CR-X was getting 45-50MPG. Then, wait a minute, this half arsed hybrid has a crappy little SOHC 1.5L and only gets 33-38MPG! WTF! Anyway, the best way to go is the way of the Chevy Volt. In fact, this is nowhere near a new idea. We've had passive hybrids in every diesel train engine ever made. The difference there is that the train is using the electrics as a means of power transmission without a clutch (which would burn up instantly trying to move a train). But using a small, cheap battery or even capacitor bank to handle acceleration needs, you can set the ICE to run at a much more consistent RPM to meet charging demands, and suddenly you have a supremely efficient way to power the car with very little cost in batteries (most of the cost of an EV) and no changes need be made to existing fueling systems. But this sort of thing has been stalled at every turn because a sudden decrease in fuel usage would not only mean the decline of oil industries and their associated bit of the economy, but also effect the jobs millions of people all across the country. But with more and more people clamoring for something other than oil, they've given in, but only a bit at a time. Hybrids were their first concession, but that's a joke, as you can see from the CR-Z example, we're not making any progress with hybrid cars, they've actually come down in efficiency from a freakin 1985 carbureted motor! But the really cool thing to come of all this, is that when we finally have our electric motors dolling out the power, we'll have some REALLY fast cars.
naginalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #25
andypandy_e46

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
its the new electric powerd 6 series

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
andypandy_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #26
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Those tires say TEST on the side of them, maybe they are just for that, testing, and thats why they are so skinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
Maybe I'm making things up, but didn't BMW want to skip the Hybrid scene and go straight to electric/hydrogen?
I think you're right.

Two things I noticed:

1) its silent - suggests electric

2) Look at that silver colored support under the rear bumper..... thats wide and flat.... typically where the fuel tank is.... got to be holding batteries or something?

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #27
SCA_ImolaM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 Imola/Black
My guess is the BMW Active Dynamics EV... likely a Hydrogen test car... or, just an ACTIVE HYBRID, but they already have those in production, so not likely a simply Hybrid... therefore, my guess is a production test mule for a Hydrogen EV powertrain.. likely to be low volume, high cost, leased to "preferred" customers in Germany to gain experience in the field for the powertrain.

They just showed the Vision Efficient Dynamics Concept this year, which looks like an EV/Hybrid precursor... and the 6 is going away this year... my guess, they are replacing the 6 coupe with a "Sports Hybrid/Hydrogen" type coupe, hence the 6 body for the mule. Note the skinny tires like the concept too...

http://www.design42day.com/2009/08/b...amics-concept/
SCA_ImolaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #28
CaioCK

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via MSN to CaioCK
I dont see a problem with the Hybrids... just gotta keep the good design...
67' Porsche 911 S Wide Body
CaioCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #29
Shade00

My Ride: 03 325Ci
It does have an exhaust pipe, so most likely not full electric...
Shade00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #30
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaioCK View Post
I dont see a problem with the Hybrids... just gotta keep the good design...
The problem is they're not nearly as efficient in real-world use as they make them out to be. Especially if used in the way most BMW are.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #31
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
The problem is they're not nearly as efficient in real-world use as they make them out to be. Especially if used in the way most BMW are.
Haha - hybrids are presently a status-symbol gimmick. The ecosphere isn't going to be saved by a fleet of mini-engined, mobile battery-packs. They have a long way to go before they really start making an impact.

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille

Last edited by jorg323; 09-11-2010 at 11:37 PM.
jorg323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #32
Vade46!!!

My Ride: '03 AW 325xi

This was put on youtube 2 days ago....

'07 Victory Red Corvette Z51 3LT

Last edited by Vade46!!!; 09-15-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Vade46!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:34 PM   #33
tifreak

My Ride: 04 325xi
the front looks a lot like the active hybrid concept
tifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #34
xelano

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Send a message via AIM to xelano
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'm sure saturn could share some info about releasing a car without a market.

i mean, besides looking like a piece of garbage, there just wasn't a market for it. the same may go for hydrogen, but anything bmw makes won't be cheap.
goddamn that is ugly.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #35
tifreak

My Ride: 04 325xi

pretty sure they're releasing a production version of the efficient dynamics concept, definitely looks like one under the camo
tifreak is offline   Reply With Quote