E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
nilberg

My Ride: 2003 320DAT Touring
Arrow Project Black Bling - Diesel Touring gettin' some lovin'.

First off, I'll paste in a couple of lines from my Introduction thread:

So here's the introduction:

Busy familyman from Norway, just getting ready for some first time (ever) modifications on the Touring.
I've had my beloved 3 series Touring for a couple of years now, and I was actually about to replace it with a newer,
larger, taller(!) car. House, kids and sensible missus made me change my mind, and I decided to keep the car,
and treat it with the love it deserves..

The car is a black 2003 320D Touring, with leather (and wood.. ) interior.
It already has a lot of the trimmings visually, with the M-Tech II Sportspackage/suspension/seats etc.
Not a complete US ZHP by any means, but still a great starting point for modding, in my opinion.

All the pics are actually from the first owner's ad. I've worn down both the paint and interior since then,
and I'm looking forward to having the car detailed by professionals in a couple of weeks time.

As I'm a first-timer, I'll start out with some visuals. Lights and interior trim, mainly. I've just gone bananas on eBay ++ for parts,
and as soon as they arrive I'll start posting pictures of the parts, and any progress.

I've ordered new Xenon HID headlights with AngelEyes, black cornerlights, black LED tail lights, chrome bulbs, and LED interior bulbs.
As the car is black metallic, I went with 8000K on the headlights.
I've also bought some new grills in "Black Chrome" finish, which I'm quite excited about.
The wooden interior is finally going, getting replaced by some matt chrome interior trim, gear plate and hand brake.
New wheels, probably M6 19" 8.5/9.5 replicas or something, and finally a good rub down/shine at some professional's place.

Down the road, I hope to change the diffuser, or at least do some job on the exhaust, as it looks absolutely horrible now.
nilberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
nilberg

Arrow

After trawling the net for different DIY projects, I suddenly have a whole bunch of ideas.
Everything from olaf's Parrot integration, MadRussian's radar-detector, DiCE module, iPhone snap-in etc..
I actually fear for my wallet now. I guess the expansion of the house will have to wait...

I did my first change today, -a software-mod actually; upgrading the BMW Navi Professional to the lastest FW,
and enabling the much slicker "Perspective" view (3D effect) on the Map GUI.

After visiting Xoutpost.com and their extensive Navi info-vault, I downloaded the brand new V32 release.
My Navi (S609A) was a MK IV, but it had firmware from the Stone Age: version 4-1/12 (V21)...
11 versions newer, I was hoping the old fw was comfortable with such an extensive upgrade. Well, no problems! (So far..)
I burned the V32 FW CD (approx. 250MB) with a program called MagicISO; using 4x speed, and Mode2. <- IMPORTANT!

Here's the Łber-dull map graphics BEFORE the update:

With the car off, I ejected the Map DVD in the trunk.
Then, I turned the key to the first stage/click/notch/whatever..., and let the headunit start up.
I then slipped in my newly burned V32 FW CD, and waited a minute or two...

The display came to life with this;

...and completed with this:

...why do we persist in taking road-instructions from women?

After going into the service menu (in the settings menu, hold the MENU button for about 10 sec),
I enabled the Perspective view in the bottom menu.

The final result when navigating:

Now where did I leave my 3D glasses?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
nilberg

Exclamation Update! - Some of the parts have arrived!

I recently just received the tail lights, the black chrome grille, the matt chrome interior trim, matt chrome gear knob,
matt chrome handbreak grip, a new temperature sensor and a small monochrome M-badge.

With regards to the M-badge, I'm not sure how politically incorrect I would be placing this on my car...
The car itself is factory branded with M-badges everywhere; the door step trim, steering wheel, carpets etc..
Of course, it's not an M3, but the badge doesn't say M3 either..? What do you guys think? [Picture]

I have a 320d badge on the back, and I'd like to remove that. Ideally, I'd like to replace that 320d badge with the M-badge.
Anyway, I chose the black one, due to the car being blacked out later on.

Pictures of the different parts is coming soon.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:09 AM   #4
nilberg

Oh.. and if someone knows where to get a B&W or CF roundel badge for a Touring trunk, PLEASE let me know.
I've looked everywhere, and they simply don't seem to make it anywhere.. *DING! Business opportunity!*
Old 09-12-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Opt1mus

My Ride: 320d exe Touring
I don't think the ///M badge is a "problem" , after all, your car is fitted with a OEM ///M-package

Love your MV'72's, oh and get some chromecoated bulbs for your indicators

I'd love to see the pictures of your new taillights, I'm still looking to modify them but can't seen to find a good set....
Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
VIP13

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci
Hey, I don't have a Touring but i did change my roundels to Black and White.... there is a website that you can order them from, and they are super nice.... www.bimmian.com (you might get sucked in to how much stuff they have).......

However I blacked out my own roundels on the hood, trunk, wheels, and steering wheel.... I bought some flat black vinyl to black out my chrome trim on my E46... then I had the idea that if i cut small pieces of it i can perfectly place them on the roundels. They look great and after a year still hold out to the weather, and twice a week car wash fantastically!

Here is a picture, sorry it is not the best quality picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	375340  

Last edited by VIP13; 09-12-2010 at 10:42 AM.
VIP13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:23 AM   #7
nilberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt1mus View Post
I don't think the ///M badge is a "problem" , after all, your car is fitted with a OEM ///M-package

Love your MV'72's, oh and get some chromecoated bulbs for your indicators

I'd love to see the pictures of your new taillights, I'm still looking to modify them but can't seen to find a good set....

Thanks, but the rims are actually in pretty poor condition, and I'm considering buying a new set of 5 spoke M6's as a replacement. I just might have them repaired as well, but I can't decide...

The chromebulbs are already on the way.

I hope to start the lighting mod pretty soon now, and I'll post plenty of pictures of the process.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:27 AM   #8
nilberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP13 View Post
Hey, I don't have a Touring but i did change my roundels to Black and White.... there is a website that you can order them from, and they are super nice.... www.bimmian.com (you might get sucked in to how much stuff they have).......

However I blacked out my own roundels on the hood, trunk, wheels, and steering wheel.... I bought some flat black vinyl to black out my chrome trim on my E46... then I had the idea that if i cut small pieces of it i can perfectly place them on the roundels. They look great and after a year still hold out to the weather, and twice a week car wash fantastically!

Here is a picture, sorry it is not the best quality picture.

I agree on the picture quality, but from what I can see, they seem really nice!
If you've cut these yourself, props on the steady hand.
I just might order the Bimmian ones, as they seem to have high quality products. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
nilberg

Exclamation UPDATE! - Interior Trim

I don't care much for wooden interior trim, as it makes me feel like driving a boat, or being a 70 year old man.
And as I'm trying to ease my way into the modding process, changing the interior trim seemed like the most logical next step for me.

I changed the wooden panel (seen in the pictures above), and went with the "Matt Chrome" trim.

Before <--> After pics:

Navi @ an angle:

Passenger side:

Gear plate, and new gear knob:

Centre console:

Centre console 2:

The before-shots were taken at daytime, while the after-shots were taken in the afternoon/dusk.
As the lighting is a bit different, the Matt Chrome actually seems a lot colder than it does in real life.
It might take some getting used to, and I might even consider wrapping it in some semi-seethrough carbon based vinyl later on..
..but for now, I'm quite happy with the result.

I'll most likely do the Black Chrome grille next. The headlights have just cleared customs, so I guess I'll get started on them any day now.
I know some of you would like to see the tail lights, but I'm still waiting for bulbs and better weather conditions at the moment.
(For some weird reason, it seems to start pouring down as soon as I'm done at work... )

So, what do you think?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
Opt1mus

My Ride: 320d exe Touring
Looks very fresh and modern in combination with your seats, a good move to change that dull wood. I hope you've throw it in the fireplace !

I really want to see them rearlights
Old 09-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
nilberg

Heheh.. Well, they'll BURN, that's for sure!

Thanks for responding, motivation and feedback is what makes this project extra fun.
I'll try to do the tail lights as soon as I can, but I need to get them approved by the authorities before I mount them.
(Yup, true story! That's Norway for you.. )

Love your rims by the way.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
mikeyb74

My Ride: Jet Black 01 325xit
Send a message via AIM to mikeyb74
Nice upgrades! To bad I live across the pond in the States. I could really use that wood shifter panel.

"The station wagon thatís finally gorgeous enough, engaging enough to drive, and sufficiently
swell to lure folks out of those cumbersome utes." -Car and Driver

It's funny... people who drive anything expensive often get labeled by folks who drive less expensive cars. I have found, without exception, that douchebags cover all demographics and incomes. You can be an douchebag in either a Echo or an Escalade.
mikeyb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
nilberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
Nice upgrades! To bad I live across the pond in the States. I could really use that wood shifter panel.
I'd post it to you, but I actually managed to crack it a bit, down in the corner.
I've never done anything like this before, and for some stupid reason I didn't bother checking any how-to's on the shifter panel removal.
A bit to eager with my dull butterknife.., and "CRACK!" a nice chip came off the bottom left corner...

Sorry about that.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #14
nilberg

And to you guys waiting for the tail light upgrades; I'm sorry for dragging it out like this.
I don't have a garage, and for the last two days, it's been pouring down like crazy.

I've got all the ordered parts now, ready for mounting.

The only thing I'm not to happy about, is the corner lights.. I was sent clear ones, not black ones..

Wanted these:

Got these:

The clear ones are almost identical to the ones I already have. A bit bummed about that actually..

I'll give the tail lights a new try tomorrow after work.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
mikeyb74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilberg View Post
I'd post it to you, but I actually managed to crack it a bit, down in the corner.
I've never done anything like this before, and for some stupid reason I didn't bother checking any how-to's on the shifter panel removal.
A bit to eager with my dull butterknife.., and "CRACK!" a nice chip came off the bottom left corner...

Sorry about that.
Oh man! The one I have is cracked at the same corner.

"The station wagon thatís finally gorgeous enough, engaging enough to drive, and sufficiently

It's funny... people who drive anything expensive often get labeled by folks who drive less expensive cars. I have found, without exception, that douchebags cover all demographics and incomes. You can be an douchebag in either a Echo or an Escalade.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #16
mikeyb74

Quote:
And to you guys waiting for the tail light upgrades; I'm sorry for dragging it out like this.
I don't have a garage, and for the last two days, it's been pouring down like crazy.

I've got all the ordered parts now, ready for mounting.

The only thing I'm not to happy about, is the corner lights.. I was sent clear ones, not black ones..

Wanted these:

Got these:

The clear ones are almost identical to the ones I already have. A bit bummed about that actually..

I'll give the tail lights a new try tomorrow after work.
I like clears better then smoked lens...I went from the US spec Ambers to Euro clears on my touring.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #17
nilberg

Quote:
I like clears better then smoked lens...I went from the US spec Ambers to Euro clears on my touring.
It seems the all black ones are not allowed due to new european regulations, so that's the reason I received these.
The ones I've received are actually a bit darker/smoked anyway (and newer..! ), so I'll probably just keep them.
They'll look really nice beside the new Xenons w/Angel eyes.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
mikeyb74

Quote:
It seems the all black ones are not allowed due to new european regulations, so that's the reason I received these.
The ones I've received are actually a bit darker/smoked anyway (and newer..! ), so I'll probably just keep them.
They'll look really nice beside the new Xenons w/Angel eyes.
Black or smoke is supposedly illegal here in the States as well but everyone does it. I would rather see smoked lens instead of the ricetezza tail lights.

Have you checked out the Touring only thread?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=touring

Old 09-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #19
nilberg

Quote:
I would rather see smoked lens instead of the ricetezza tail lights
Probably a newb question, but what would you consider as ricetezza tail lights?
(I know the term "rice", but I'm not quite sure on the rest.. )
Are you thinking of a specific set of tail lights in particular?

Do post links/pics of examples etc. if you have any.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #20
mikeyb74

These are what I call ricetezza.