Have you ever been electrocuted? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
kuksul08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: California
Posts: 2,100
My Ride: M3
Have you ever been electrocuted?

Got to thinking today... I've made it pretty far without ever touching an outer or exposed electrical wire (110V). I've been shocked by static of course. The worst shock was from a spark plug on a motorcycle. But that's nothing serious or lasting very long, other than it made my arm twitch.


You ever felt the power of electrons flowing vigorously and continuously through your body? What voltage? What was it like?
__________________

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
BreakfastBurrito
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 362
My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
I did this once. Fuggin guy walks up to me at some restaurant, he wouldn't go away after I told him no.

__________________
BreakfastBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 5,545
My Ride: Yukon
Forgot to disconnect the hot end of a battery and grounded a wrench on a strut tower, that was fun. I've been shocked by my fair share of cattle fences as well, but nothing more than probably a couple hundred volts? It went through my clothes but those fences don't fvck around.
__________________

Last edited by cowmoo32; 04-27-2017 at 06:50 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
MorganFreeman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: i hate cats
Posts: 83
My Ride: bacon
I got shocked using battery operated sex toys...
__________________
MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: such united many state
Posts: 5,895
My Ride: so turbo wow
I used to put my dog's shock collar on my head for funsies. I did this for a year.

Sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk
__________________
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #6
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 5,545
My Ride: Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I used to put my dog's shock collar on my head for funsies. I did this for a year.

Sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk
Friend put one on as a joke, there were no batteries in it. The UPS guy happens to show up and we quickly devised a plan that ended with my friend charging the delivery guy and me running after him with the remote to the collar. He pretended to seize and faceplanted in the front yard as the UPS guy stood frozen. I'm not sure if he bought it or not...
__________________
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #7
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: such united many state
Posts: 5,895
My Ride: so turbo wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Friend put one on as a joke, there were no batteries in it. The UPS guy happens to show up and we quickly devised a plan that ended with my friend charging the delivery guy and me running after him with the remote to the collar. He pretended to seize and faceplanted in the front yard as the UPS guy stood frozen. I'm not sure if he bought it or not...
this is genius

Sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk
__________________
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
BoogetyBoogety
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas!
Posts: 814
My Ride: 2010 SL550
I always understood "electrocuted" to mean "killed by electricity:"

Definition of electrocute
electrocuted; electrocuting
transitive verb
1
: to execute (a criminal) by electricity
2
: to kill by electric shock
electrocutionplay \i-***716;lek-tr***601;-***712;ky-sh***601;n\ noun

So if a person responds to OP, by definition, he has not been electrocuted...

OK, back to not being so goddamn literal... Yes, a few times, from touching bare wires that I thought were dead, to grabbing a spark plug wire at the wrong time (hurts like a motherfvcker), to grabbing the business end of one of those battery-powered tennis-racket-looking bug zappers just a few days ago. Stuck a bobby pin in an outlet when I was two or so (don't remember it, family lore says I did and I do have a burn scar on my finger tip from it)...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336
BE QUIET STAY IN SILENT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ANY MORE. YOU ARE SO MADD AND IM HAPPY . DUMB YOUR MOM
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:13 AM   #9
Wraisil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 219
My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
I've been shocked by both AC and DC over the years, but never "to death". 12 VDC and 120 VAC covers the max I've felt that I can recall.
Wraisil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #10
trizzuth
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MA$$HOLE
Posts: 6,068
My Ride: 234k, 16yr old B3AST
I've touched live house wires quite a few times in my home renovation projects.

Here are a few near misses:
Once back in college, I distinctly remember an event that was like the "Darwin Awards"... had a lamp that wasn't working too well with the bulb, i looked inside the socket, and the tip of the socket in the middle was a bit corroded, what did my brilliance do? Reached in there with my Spyderco knife to scrape off some of the corrosion, while lamp still plugged in, lol. Tip scraping middle, leaned against the threaded part, made electrical connection, INSTANTLY arced and melted my knife in that one small spot, lots of sparks, but since I was holding the handle, I didn't actually get shocked.

Other time I was working on renovating the kitchen and getting the wall ready for the microwave and tile, and had to cut a new vent hole for the microwave. Did this with a sawzall, and accidentally hit a live wire, mad sparks, melted the sawzall blade from the arc, and actually lit the plywood on fire a little bit!!! I was scared the house would burn down, inspected all very carefully, and waited for a long long time to make sure no sparks fell anywhere inside the wall. That sucked.

I also had this fear of shock because in high school I would wear this wool sweater often in the winter and literally every single door handle I touched sent a giant shock into my hand. To this day, if it is the winter and I'm wearing anything similar, I always slap the door handle hard first, almost to induce pain in case there is a shock, hoping that the pain of slapping the door will outweigh the shock.

Because of all these instances, I detest getting shocked. Some friend has a shock pen gag trick, and I refuse to even touch that thing and have made it very clear that it will be ON, and I will go apeshit if anyone tries to shock me just for the fun of it.
__________________
2001 BMW 330i - Current at 235K
1996 Mitsubishi Galant S - gone at 121K
1993 Volvo 850 GLT - gone at 89K
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K

Last edited by trizzuth; 04-28-2017 at 08:21 AM.
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #11
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 12,034
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post

Because of all these instances, I detest getting shocked. Some friend has a shock pen gag trick, and I refuse to even touch that thing and have made it very clear that it will be ON, and I will go apeshit if anyone tries to shock me just for the fun of it.
This seems out of character for you.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #12
MorganFreeman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: i hate cats
Posts: 83
My Ride: bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
I've touched live house wires quite a few times in my home renovation projects.

Here are a few near misses:
Once back in college, I distinctly remember an event that was like the "Darwin Awards"... had a lamp that wasn't working too well with the bulb, i looked inside the socket, and the tip of the socket in the middle was a bit corroded, what did my brilliance do? Reached in there with my Spyderco knife to scrape off some of the corrosion, while lamp still plugged in, lol. Tip scraping middle, leaned against the threaded part, made electrical connection, INSTANTLY arced and melted my knife in that one small spot, lots of sparks, but since I was holding the handle, I didn't actually get shocked.

Other time I was working on renovating the kitchen and getting the wall ready for the microwave and tile, and had to cut a new vent hole for the microwave. Did this with a sawzall, and accidentally hit a live wire, mad sparks, melted the sawzall blade from the arc, and actually lit the plywood on fire a little bit!!! I was scared the house would burn down, inspected all very carefully, and waited for a long long time to make sure no sparks fell anywhere inside the wall. That sucked.

I also had this fear of shock because in high school I would wear this wool sweater often in the winter and literally every single door handle I touched sent a giant shock into my hand. To this day, if it is the winter and I'm wearing anything similar, I always slap the door handle hard first, almost to induce pain in case there is a shock, hoping that the pain of slapping the door will outweigh the shock.

Because of all these instances, I detest getting shocked. Some friend has a shock pen gag trick, and I refuse to even touch that thing and have made it very clear that it will be ON, and I will go apeshit if anyone tries to shock me just for the fun of it.

I put my finger in the cigarette socket thingy in an S2000 and got shocked that I didn't get shocked.
__________________
MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #13
CO_Steve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 145
My Ride: 2003 330xi
I've worked with electricity my whole life. Dad was a radio tech.
When I was a kid my dad came home with an oil furnace ignition transformer. 15,000V.
He set up a Lacob's ladder with it, you know, the rising spark thing in all the Frankenstein movies. Pretty fun to watch.
One day he wasn't around and I was playing with it. I thought it would be cool to hold a piece of paper in the path of the spark and watch it burn through as it rose.
Grabbed the nearest paper I found, a match book cover. I hadn't noticed the cover was painted with some sort of gold foil paint. It clearly conducted electricity very well.
When the spark hit the gold paint all the muscles in my arm instantly contracted to 110%. The effect was working it's way through the rest of my body when the spark moved off the paper.
I never played with that thing again. Scared me pretty badly.
CO_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #14
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,673
My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
This seems out of character for you.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #15
ryanwhite74115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,804
My Ride: 2013 Infiniti G37S
Hmmm...when have I not been shocked since owning a home? Replaced all my electrical sockets in the entire house when I bought it. I'd say I have 5-10 shocks just there alone. Then there was that one time I left the switch in the "on" position for the fan while I was installing/swapping out fans...hehe. That was surprising as I thought the switch was off! I've been shocked plenty by household 110. The key is to let gooooo when getting shocked. Some say I now have an eclectic personality.
__________________
\(`' )/

Last edited by ryanwhite74115; 04-28-2017 at 09:28 AM.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #16
kuksul08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: California
Posts: 2,100
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
I've touched live house wires quite a few times in my home renovation projects.

Here are a few near misses:
Once back in college, I distinctly remember an event that was like the "Darwin Awards"... had a lamp that wasn't working too well with the bulb, i looked inside the socket, and the tip of the socket in the middle was a bit corroded, what did my brilliance do? Reached in there with my Spyderco knife to scrape off some of the corrosion, while lamp still plugged in, lol. Tip scraping middle, leaned against the threaded part, made electrical connection, INSTANTLY arced and melted my knife in that one small spot, lots of sparks, but since I was holding the handle, I didn't actually get shocked.

Other time I was working on renovating the kitchen and getting the wall ready for the microwave and tile, and had to cut a new vent hole for the microwave. Did this with a sawzall, and accidentally hit a live wire, mad sparks, melted the sawzall blade from the arc, and actually lit the plywood on fire a little bit!!! I was scared the house would burn down, inspected all very carefully, and waited for a long long time to make sure no sparks fell anywhere inside the wall. That sucked.

I also had this fear of shock because in high school I would wear this wool sweater often in the winter and literally every single door handle I touched sent a giant shock into my hand. To this day, if it is the winter and I'm wearing anything similar, I always slap the door handle hard first, almost to induce pain in case there is a shock, hoping that the pain of slapping the door will outweigh the shock.

Because of all these instances, I detest getting shocked. Some friend has a shock pen gag trick, and I refuse to even touch that thing and have made it very clear that it will be ON, and I will go apeshit if anyone tries to shock me just for the fun of it.
Dude. I have a life changing skill for you. I had the same problem at a place I used to work. Walking on the carpet would build up static and every metal door handle would shock people. So the trick is to hold a metal key in your hand, touch the handle with your key first to discharge your body, and then grab it. You won't feel the *zap* and it isn't funny looking like slapping a door handle.
__________________

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #17
trizzuth
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MA$$HOLE
Posts: 6,068
My Ride: 234k, 16yr old B3AST
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
This seems out of character for you.

Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Dude. I have a life changing skill for you. I had the same problem at a place I used to work. Walking on the carpet would build up static and every metal door handle would shock people. So the trick is to hold a metal key in your hand, touch the handle with your key first to discharge your body, and then grab it. You won't feel the *zap* and it isn't funny looking like slapping a door handle.

Ummmmm since you are holding the metal key in your hand, I assume the shock travels through the key, directly into you, so how is this even a solution?




Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
__________________
2001 BMW 330i - Current at 235K
1996 Mitsubishi Galant S - gone at 121K
1993 Volvo 850 GLT - gone at 89K
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #18
trizzuth
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MA$$HOLE
Posts: 6,068
My Ride: 234k, 16yr old B3AST
Ahhh I get it now. Instead of the spark igniting you it hits the key, and since you are touching the key your saved the shock. Would this also work when people are making a human chain and one is holding something generating electricity, you are the next link and about to get shocked, but whip out the key?


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
__________________
2001 BMW 330i - Current at 235K
1996 Mitsubishi Galant S - gone at 121K
1993 Volvo 850 GLT - gone at 89K
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #19
BoogetyBoogety
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas!
Posts: 814
My Ride: 2010 SL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Double

Ummmmm since you are holding the metal key in your hand, I assume the shock travels through the key, directly into you, so how is this even a solution?
I would imagine the shock of a spark jumping the gap between a metal object and your hand would be much more unpleasant than a mere grounding of your hand via a metal object touching another metal object... Shuffling your feet on carpet on a dry day results in a small amount of static electricity, not like a big charge created by a Van de Graaff generator or something
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336
BE QUIET STAY IN SILENT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ANY MORE. YOU ARE SO MADD AND IM HAPPY . DUMB YOUR MOM
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #20
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,720
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
This seems out of character for you.
x1000
__________________
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.