E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #81
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,776
My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtroll View Post
Who do you think would flip out more if we had proof out there was intelligent life outside of earth...Muslims or Christians?

-djt
Good question! I would suspect that the most radical observers of both religions would have the most profound reactions.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #82
Fractal Seb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 752
My Ride: spoon AP2
its true, one of the main things this world is run by, is by religion. alien lifeforms completely contradicts the majority of the muslim and christian beliefs. if disclosure were to actually happen, these people would lose their faith in their religion instantly, look to the government and demand answers/panic, then chaos ensues so on and so on. the government does a very smart thing by hiding things from us. its logic. why wouldnt they? they need to retain peace and order throughout the world, they have no problem lying or hiding things from us for however long they live. and to the oblivious people who believe our precious little government dont do things like that are ignorant idiots
__________________
Fractal Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #83
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,532
My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtroll View Post
Who do you think would flip out more if we had proof out there was intelligent life outside of earth...Muslims or Christians?

-djt
People in general would flip the fvck out. But yeah, the extremists' heads would explode. I, for one, would be elated.
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Buy my W126!
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #84
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,532
My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal Seb View Post
its true, one of the main things this world is run by, is by religion. alien lifeforms completely contradicts the majority of the muslim and christian beliefs. if disclosure were to actually happen, these people would lose their faith in their religion instantly, look to the government and demand answers/panic, then chaos ensues so on and so on. the government does a very smart thing by hiding things from us. its logic. why wouldnt they? they need to retain peace and order throughout the world, they have no problem lying or hiding things from us for however long they live. and to the oblivious people who believe our precious little government dont do things like that are ignorant idiots
While I agree that it's better for the gov't to keep things hidden from the general populace, I don't consider myself part of it and I hate the fact that someone "higher up" than me is deciding what I should and shouldn't know.
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Buy my W126!
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #85
Raymond42262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 453
My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by [phoenx] View Post
I couldn't imagine what humanities reaction would be to solid proof that ET's exist. Mass chaos or acceptance?
Mass chaos. Remember when Cortez reached Mexico and they thought he as a god and they worshipped him ? It did not work out very well for Montezuma and the Incas did it ?

And when Columbus reached Cuba he was able to make them think he was a god because he had knowledge of astronomy. He was aware that there was going to be an eclipse the same day he arrived. So he basically told the native Indians that this is how powerful I am...I can make the sun disappear. But he and his shipmates left the island with their heads intact and lives preserved.

If they came to Earth or we admitted their presence then people would worship them as a god because they come from 'Heaven'. That could create a lot of problems for society if that happened. They might listen to the aliens instead of city /state / national govts and they might not have our best interests at heart.

Religions would be turned upside down and there would be 1 of 2 extremes....either a religious revival or abandoning religion all together. People might stop going to work or school if they thought the world was ending. It probably would not be good, at least immediately. The Baptists would probably want to proselytize them and invite them to a potluck dinner on Wednesday night. The Muslims would probably want them to convert them or cut off their heads if they refused.

Gun sales would go way up.

But...if I had the chance to ask an alien something....after all the expected questions like where are you from, what is it like there, tell me about your culture........I would like to know what they know about God and whether they worship Him or another deity.

And no politician will ever admit there are aliens, because if they did, they would be impeached for mental illness.
__________________
"The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for."....Joseph Addison
--------------------
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #86
Sponger
Banned
 
Sponger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 267
My Ride: 2000 328ci
Sponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #87
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,532
My Ride: Trek 1.5
The more I toy with the possibility that aliens have visited in the past, the more logical it is that jesus/other prophets were aliens. There is a small island in the pacific that received supplies from the US during WWII. The war ended and they stopped receiving supplies. When people went back decades later, they found monuments built to the planes that dropped food from the sky. The natives had no idea what they were and worshiped them as gods.

Edit: Cargo Cults
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Buy my W126!

Last edited by cowmoo32; 09-14-2010 at 07:37 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #88
[phoenx]
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: RSWD, CA
Posts: 246
My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
The more I toy with the possibility that aliens have visited in the past, the more logical it is that jesus/other prophets were aliens. There is a small island in the pacific that received supplies from the US during WWII. The war ended and they stopped receiving supplies. When people went back decades later, they found monuments built to the planes that dropped food from the sky. The natives had no idea what they were and worshiped them as gods.
Very interesting, do you have a source for that, I'd like to read up on that. All of you that said chaos, I would agree. It would be a complete mindfvck. On one hand you have all these religious contradictions that could be exposed and on the other hand you have the government retaining information that can sway your beliefs. Isn't there a theory floating around that et's gave the mayan's and egyptians technology to build pyramids? It'd be interesting if that could be proven factual.
[phoenx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #89
Raymond42262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 453
My Ride: Is German
[QUOTE=Raymond42262;12240039.

Have you ever wondered why Neil Armstrong (first man to step on the Moon in 1969) has never given an interview ? I have. [/B]

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Now THIS is an interesting statement, and I'm interested to hear what you have to say. You have the podium Ray!
Who knows why ?

But I think he saw something or knows something that he does not agree with. Many people in the intelligence community ( not necessarily in NASA) have 'disappeared' , presumably because they knew too much or talked too much.

Perhaps he was threatened ? Or maybe they assumed a policy of secrecy that he does not agree with.

I don't agree that he is a demure, publicity shy man. He was a fighter pilot in the Korean War at the age of 20, was shot down once and he was a test pilot after the war. After his military career ended he was a professor.

Those are not the qualities of someone that is a wallflower.







__________________
"The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for."....Joseph Addison
--------------------
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #90
ride365
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
The more I toy with the possibility that aliens have visited in the past, the more logical it is that jesus/other prophets were aliens. There is a small island in the pacific that received supplies from the US during WWII. The war ended and they stopped receiving supplies. When people went back decades later, they found monuments built to the planes that dropped food from the sky. The natives had no idea what they were and worshiped them as gods.

Edit: Cargo Cults
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult
Quote:
Originally Posted by [phoenx] View Post
Very interesting, do you have a source for that, I'd like to read up on that. All of you that said chaos, I would agree. It would be a complete mindfvck. On one hand you have all these religious contradictions that could be exposed and on the other hand you have the government retaining information that can sway your beliefs. Isn't there a theory floating around that et's gave the mayan's and egyptians technology to build pyramids? It'd be interesting if that could be proven factual.
The History Channel (ironic) did an entire series on this concept taken from the book "Chariots of the Gods." Ancient Astronauts was a single "documentary", but then they updated it and expanded into a 12 hour, six-part series aired earlier this year. It's a fascinating concept, and one that will potentially turn your view of religion on its head.

Edit: Ancient Aliens, not Ancient Astronauts
__________________

Last edited by ride365; 09-15-2010 at 11:25 AM.
ride365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #91
Raymond42262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 453
My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride365 View Post
The History Channel (ironic) did an entire series on this concept taken from the book "Chariots of the Gods." Ancient Astronauts was a single "documentary", but then they updated it and expanded into a 12 hour, six-part series aired earlier this year. It's a fascinating concept, and one that will potentially turn your view of religion on its head.
I am not going to say that aliens helped the Egyptians build the pyramids.
But I don't think it is unreasonable to think that there have been civilizations prior to the era of modern man.

Every continent has a Flood myth, like Noah's Ark. What if if really occurred and wiped out several civilizations simutaneously ? What if there really was an Atlantis and an Emu ? They found an ancient city just off the beach of Cairo, Egypt. They found a sunken city off the coast of Japan and one off the coast of Jamaica. Pompeii and Herculaneum were buried under volcanic ash in Italy for 1800 years before they were 'rediscovered'. And they were major cities of the Roman era that were 'lost'.

So, if we can lose entire towns that were well know in the current era, it is not tough for me to believe that other ancient civilizations could have existed as well.
__________________
"The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for."....Joseph Addison
--------------------
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #92
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,776
My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by [phoenx] View Post
Isn't there a theory floating around that et's gave the mayan's and egyptians technology to build pyramids? It'd be interesting if that could be proven factual.
It seems plausible. The pyramids are still a mystery to this day.


Interesting videos Ray. These types of conversations make me want to seek out media and investigate.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #93
dmon_101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diggity, CA
Posts: 5,073
My Ride: has sexy fogs/shoes
Send a message via AIM to dmon_101
this also applies to UFOs:

__________________

Dealer Programmable Options | Projector Fogs FTW
There are a lot of Fs and too many Ks in the F/M/K scenario <- posted before I met my wife
To answer your question, it's something you can find by searching the forum or using Google
dmon_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #94
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,288
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
Mass chaos. Remember when Cortez reached Mexico and they thought he as a god and they worshipped him ? It did not work out very well for Montezuma and the Incas did it ?

And when Columbus reached Cuba he was able to make them think he was a god because he had knowledge of astronomy. He was aware that there was going to be an eclipse the same day he arrived. So he basically told the native Indians that this is how powerful I am...I can make the sun disappear. But he and his shipmates left the island with their heads intact and lives preserved.

If they came to Earth or we admitted their presence then people would worship them as a god because they come from 'Heaven'. That could create a lot of problems for society if that happened. They might listen to the aliens instead of city /state / national govts and they might not have our best interests at heart.

Read "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke

Religions would be turned upside down and there would be 1 of 2 extremes....either a religious revival or abandoning religion all together. People might stop going to work or school if they thought the world was ending. It probably would not be good, at least immediately. The Baptists would probably want to proselytize them and invite them to a potluck dinner on Wednesday night. The Muslims would probably want them to convert them or cut off their heads if they refused.

Gun sales would go way up.

But...if I had the chance to ask an alien something....after all the expected questions like where are you from, what is it like there, tell me about your culture........I would like to know what they know about God and whether they worship Him or another deity.

And no politician will ever admit there are aliens, because if they did, they would be impeached for mental illness.
Eh, it would be a major event, but I don't think it would be as extreme as some people imagine. There would definitely be some growing pains, and it's possible we'd be completely subjugated by them.

I would guess that, given our history, the first meeting may not be peaceful
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #95
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,288
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
It seems plausible. The pyramids are still a mystery to this day.


Interesting videos Ray. These types of conversations make me want to seek out media and investigate.
the pyramids are a mystery? how so?
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #96
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,288
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlue330 View Post
my guess is utter chaos. it's a large % of the world that believes in god, so imagine what it will mean when it all goes kaput with aliens.
why would non-earth-based life suddenly disprove the existence of God? I have yet to see anything in the Bible that says there's no such thing as aliens.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:05 AM   #97
Zenki_S14
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2
My Ride: 2006 325CI
You guys should check out the series "Ancient Aliens" on the History Channel.
Zenki_S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #98
K1rby
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 159
My Ride: has no C pillars
Scientologists and Mormons would say "I told you so !"
__________________
sig courtesy of CSL323
K1rby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #99
Krizzy TanG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 492
My Ride: E90 and F30 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal Seb View Post
its true, one of the main things this world is run by, is by religion. alien lifeforms completely contradicts the majority of the muslim and christian beliefs. if disclosure were to actually happen, these people would lose their faith in their religion instantly, look to the government and demand answers/panic, then chaos ensues so on and so on. the government does a very smart thing by hiding things from us. its logic. why wouldnt they? they need to retain peace and order throughout the world, they have no problem lying or hiding things from us for however long they live. and to the oblivious people who believe our precious little government dont do things like that are ignorant idiots
dunno...

Quote:
The Vatican's official newspaper has endorsed the possibility that the universe could contain intelligent life beyond Earth, while insisting that aliens would be "our brothers" and "children of God" as much as human beings are.

The Pope's astronomer, Josť Gabriel Funes, a Jesuit priest, told L'Osservatore Romano that there would be nothing surprising about the existence of intelligent extra-terrestrials.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...on-828303.html
__________________
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/picture.php?albumid=530&pictureid=11372
Krizzy TanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #100
Raymond42262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 453
My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
the pyramids are a mystery? how so?
Well, no one knows how they were built. Some of stones weigh in excess of 100 tons . That exceeds the capacity of our largest cranes to lift items. So, how did the ancient Egyptians manage to lift as well as move all those stones into place ? And how did they make the edges of the stones fit together so well that you can't slip a dollar bill between them. Not just one stone, but tens of thousands of them. ..... All contoured to perfection. And what was it used for ? It was not a burial chamber and what were they trying to conceal with all those hidden rooms in the pyramids ?

And they have used ground penetrating radar to determine that there are chambers underneath the Spinx. What are in the chambers and why did they feel a need to hide them under something so large ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
why would non-earth-based life suddenly disprove the existence of God? I have yet to see anything in the Bible that says there's no such thing as aliens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizzy TanG View Post
dunno...Quote:

The Vatican's official newspaper has endorsed the possibility that the universe could contain intelligent life beyond Earth, while insisting that aliens would be "our brothers" and "children of God" as much as human beings are.

The Pope's astronomer, Josť Gabriel Funes, a Jesuit priest, told L'Osservatore Romano that there would be nothing surprising about the existence of intelligent extra-terrestrials.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...on-828303.html
Well, I think the logic behind that is that if God created the Earth and the Heavens, and all the life forms that roam them, then He is responsible for creating the aliens as well. No doubt if they arrived, they would be sought out for Baptism and Conversion.

But.......it is interesting that the Catholic Church has a telescope that they own and maintain in Arizona. It makes you wonder what they are looking for ? It can't be the 'bridging of science and religion'. A telescope won't do that. Only education and people willing to open their minds a bit more.
What are they looking for ? What is so important to them that they would spend millions of dollars a year on a project like this ?

http://www.catholic-church.org/ejtyl...servatory.html
__________________
"The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for."....Joseph Addison
--------------------
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use