E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
KROMExi

My Ride: 02 330xi
Question ? Cv axle problems again?

I broke my Cv axle last winter (fresh snow empty+ parking lot) bought entire axle and had it installed. Awhile back noticed on my way to work that when i slowed to about 40mph a rumble would start if I gently gave it gas. It would go away about 45mph. Then noticed it at low rpms while driving in town occasionally. The other day the garbage man parked on a somewhat blind curve to get a milfs digits and i came up on them at around 65-70mph (thank god I had my car and not my truck ) hard braking and no slipping (kinda gravel) I stopped. The look on their face was priceless so I just shook my head and went around them. Now the noise is more persistent and and I dont know where to start. Help
I think its a suspension /axle problem but everything apears fine? Axle has lifetime waranty

Last edited by KROMExi; 10-19-2010 at 10:51 PM.
KROMExi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Did you have both axles replaced?

What brand axle did they use? If you don't know, tell us how much it cost and where you had it done.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
KROMExi

I had both front cv axles replaced in March
The cv axles where from Mac auto (ebay) $220
Work was done at Bettendorf Auto Werks (IA) $220
The guy has an M3 and had seen many Bmw's in and out of his shop he said it was no problem and did it right away and had it back in a couple hrs.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROMExi View Post
I had both front cv axles replaced in March
The cv axles where from Mac auto (ebay) $220
Work was done at Bettendorf Auto Werks (IA) $220
The guy has an M3 and had seen many Bmw's in and out of his shop he said it was no problem and did it right away and had it back in a couple hrs.
I'm guessing you had crappy Chinese axles installed and one or both is bad now. That said, others here have had similar issues and it turned out to be tranny/TC/diff related, but that's usually the exception.

I would have the shop take another look at the axles.

There should be a warranty on the axles for at least a year. Since you brought our own parts, labor is probably not covered. If you do get more axles, i recommend A1 cardone reman axles.

Oh- do you have a chrome xi? I've heard of the chrome m3 . . .
Old 10-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
KROMExi

No I was a metal restorer and chrome plater
Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
KROMExi

Been reading forum on and off all day the problem was happening only in morning I noticed it after driving 5 miles and tried to diagnose it doing diffrent things ie: coasting from 55 to 40 ,breaking as normal and down shifting to slow. After reading posts I did notice excess break dust on driver side didnt think about at the time (untill now) since my 2 &4 yr olds were helping detail car. I'll check calipers brakes.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:17 AM   #7
SharkmanBMW

My Ride: 03 330xi, 4th bimmer
Send a message via MSN to SharkmanBMW
I had similar shaking/vibration after a 30+ minute drive and playing with the throttle on & off would fix it temporarily.
It was the front, INNER CV joints, the grease from the factory was GONE, but the boots were intact! Either there wasn't enough grease or it was crap.
I had the joints cleaned & put back together properly, no more problems
So, even if the boots look good, look inside.
Or it could be your brakes, but I suggest all Xi owners check for missing grease on the under the inner boots
I was lucky & got it before any damage was done to the axles.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Cheap axles on BMW's always cause issues. I only use OEM BMW axles due to these issues

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Cheap axles on BMW's always cause issues. I only use OEM BMW axles due to these issues
And because you are spending other people's money, right?

A reman axle is still a BMW axle, just remanned.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post

No because I don't want it to come back with problems. The cheap ones WILL cause issues. I tried them for a year warranty 4 out of 10 after 2 years. Way to high a failure rate for me

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
Slowlane22

My Ride: 330xi
OEM axles have dropped in price to around $300 on pelicanparts.com

Don't cheap out on axles. The good ones will last 100k miles.
Slowlane22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #12
KROMExi

Quote:

Spent the afternoon with my (helpers) all over checking everything and found I need a AL ballast , passanger side cv boot , grease and oil change.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #13
Mouf

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkmanBMW View Post
I had similar shaking/vibration after a 30+ minute drive and playing with the throttle on & off would fix it temporarily.
It was the front, INNER CV joints, the grease from the factory was GONE, but the boots were intact! Either there wasn't enough grease or it was crap.
I had the joints cleaned & put back together properly, no more problems
So, even if the boots look good, look inside.
Or it could be your brakes, but I suggest all Xi owners check for missing grease on the under the inner boots
I was lucky & got it before any damage was done to the axles.
The inners are known to leak on the inboard side of the inner boot. the clamp isnt tight enough or something and it will seep grease out.
Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:26 AM   #14
xi_ter

Look for a local shop that stocks remanufactured OEM axles and gives you a credit after they receive the failed axles you've pulled out.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
Kubica

Quote:
No because I don't want it to come back with problems. The cheap ones WILL cause issues. I tried them for a year warranty 4 out of 10 after 2 years. Way to high a failure rate for me
JB- I respect your opinions and knowledge immensely.

However, I managed to kill an OEM BMW right front axle installed by the dealer in less than a year. I installed a Chinese axle next, and killed that in a few weeks. The reman axles I installed are holding up great a year later and were less than $100 each. So in my opinion, reman axles are the way to go- even if they both crapped out on me today.

Also, I have no stake here, although I'm fairly certain you make more money selling BMW axles over Chinese or reman. I have nothing to lose/gain except knowing the other xi guys get good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Look for a local shop that stocks remanufactured OEM axles and gives you a credit after they receive the failed axles you've pulled out.
That's what i would do- or get a 36mm socket and give it a try.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
JB- I respect your opinions and knowledge immensely.

However, I managed to kill an OEM BMW right front axle installed by the dealer in less than a year. I installed a Chinese axle next, and killed that in a few weeks. The reman axles I installed are holding up great a year later and were less than $100 each. So in my opinion, reman axles are the way to go- even if they both crapped out on me today.

Also, I have no stake here, although I'm fairly certain you make more money selling BMW axles over Chinese or reman. I have nothing to lose/gain except knowing the other xi guys get good advice.

That's what i would do- or get a 36mm socket and give it a try.

Actually I make more money selling the cheap axles!!!! I only get 20% of list from the local dealer..... there is more money to be made on the Cheap axles. it is not a money thing for me it is warranty and my reputation on the line.

Also most of the time we replace just the boot clean and relube inner and outer. I try to replace very few axles...

FYI a more expensive part rarely means more profit.....

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Last edited by jbeurotech; 10-21-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #17
Kubica

Quote:
Actually I make more money selling the cheap axles!!!! I only get 20% of list from the local dealer..... there is more money to be made on the Cheap axles. it is not a money thing for me it is warranty and my reputation on the line.

Also most of the time we replace just the boot clean and relube inner and outer. I try to replace very few axles...

FYI a more expensive part rarely means more profit.....
Got it. Thanks.

As long as we agree that Chinese axles are the worst option, I'm satisfied with that.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #18
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...-7-505-199-M60

$269 for the left, $333 for the right. Why are dealers still charging almost $500?
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...-7-505-199-M60

$269 for the left, $333 for the right. Why are dealers still charging almost $500?
That is not a OEM axle GKN DOES NOT make BMW's axles that is more of the misleading info aftermarket suppliers try to get people to buy into

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 10-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #20
Kubica

Quote:
That is not a OEM axle GKN DOES NOT make BMW's axles that is more of the misleading info aftermarket suppliers try to get people to buy into
Pelican lists GKN as OEM supplier. Anyone have exerience with GKN axles?