E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
AZ NM NV OK TX UT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
rhinos57

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Cool Belt replacing

Guys,
after a routine inspection of the engine compartment on my 330 C. I I became aware that the serpentine belt and a/c are in need of replacement and since I don't know when the last time the tension or pulley or the idler pulley were replaced I'm intending to replace those at the same time. I was in hopes that someone has done a video of this process so that I don't remove anything that I don't necessarily have to remove in order to do the job so anybody out there has done this or has seen it if they would put me up I would greatly appreciate it.

I also have a news noise that I would like for you to give me your opinion on when I turn the key on without starting the car it makes a noise that sounds like someone saying, HUH. The first time it did it I had passengers in the car and I thought one of them said it the second time it happened my wife was in the car and I thought she said finally I was by myself and it did it again so I don't feel like I'm losing my mind any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ron
In Houston

Last edited by rhinos57; 09-17-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: wrong word
rhinos57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
wildcat293

My Ride: 325xi
Just did this a few min ago, thought about taking pics but its a real easy DIY.

You need to figure out if you have mechanical or hydraulic pulleys first.

If you have mechanical you want Qty 2 of Dayco 89133 (Main tensioner and A/C Tensioner) and Qty 1 of Dayco 89089 (Main idler pulley). These Dayco parts are made in germany by INA and are the same ones on your car.

For hydraulic I think you need Qty 2 of Dayco 89046 and Qty 1 of Dayco 89089 but I am not 100% sure since I had mechanical.

Rock Auto has these parts for cheap, or you can go to advanced auto.

If you have an auto this DIY covers most of the stuff you need
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...diy+water+pump

These are the steps for mechanical tensioners:

Once you get the fan out you will need a T40 and a T60 torx bit

For the top (main tensioner) there is a 16mm bolt that you use to turn the tensioner to remove the belt. Use a 16mm or 5/8" socket and turn the tensioner. There is a slot in the tensioner that you can stick an allen key through to hold it loose.

Once its held loose pop off the dust cap and use the T40 to remove the shoulder bolt. Bolt is right hand thread (lefty loosey). Put on the new pulley and tighten the bolt until you start moving the tensioner instead of turning the bolt.

Next take off the idler pulley, this is a normal socket. Don't know what the torque on this one is so i went "fairly tight".

Finally there is the A/C tensioner which is a bit different. You use a T60 to turn the tensioner and relieve the tension, pin it with the same allen key. There is a 16mm bolt there but this isn't what you want to turn! Removing the pulley is the same as the other tensioner.

Last edited by wildcat293; 09-18-2010 at 12:32 PM.
wildcat293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
@Rhinos57

Just check out my DIY vids, it'll show you everything you ever wanted to know about your serpentine & A/C belts and pulleys. (Read the video Description for more details.)

Just take your time.
Good luck.

About your "Huh" noise... not quite sure what that is, can you video it for reference?

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 09-18-2010 at 12:52 PM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
devGOD
devGOD

My Ride: AA S/C 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to devGOD Send a message via Yahoo to devGOD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat293 View Post
Just did this a few min ago, thought about taking pics but its a real easy DIY.

You need to figure out if you have mechanical or hydraulic pulleys first.

If you have mechanical you want Qty 2 of Dayco 89133 (Main tensioner and A/C Tensioner) and Qty 1 of Dayco 89089 (Main idler pulley). These Dayco parts are made in germany by INA and are the same ones on your car.

For hydraulic I think you need Qty 2 of Dayco 89046 and Qty 1 of Dayco 89089 but I am not 100% sure since I had mechanical.

Rock Auto has these parts for cheap, or you can go to advanced auto.

If you have an auto this DIY covers most of the stuff you need
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...diy+water+pump

These are the steps for mechanical tensioners:

Once you get the fan out you will need a T40 and a T60 torx bit

For the top (main tensioner) there is a 16mm bolt that you use to turn the tensioner to remove the belt. Use a 16mm or 5/8" socket and turn the tensioner. There is a slot in the tensioner that you can stick an allen key through to hold it loose.

Once its held loose pop off the dust cap and use the T40 to remove the shoulder bolt. Bolt is right hand thread (lefty loosey). Put on the new pulley and tighten the bolt until you start moving the tensioner instead of turning the bolt.

Next take off the idler pulley, this is a normal socket. Don't know what the torque on this one is so i went "fairly tight".

Finally there is the A/C tensioner which is a bit different. You use a T60 to turn the tensioner and relieve the tension, pin it with the same allen key. There is a 16mm bolt there but this isn't what you want to turn! Removing the pulley is the same as the other tensioner.
you can use a 16mm or 5/8 on the A/C pulley too. its much easier than loosening a screw