E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
NightRaider93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: University of Kentucky
Posts: 1,315
My Ride: 2007 Z4 Coupe
Oil levels in car.

As much as I hate having to make a new thread about this, I can't find anything at all about my problem.

Anyways, I am having issues with my car using oil. It has 110,000 miles but it uses oil a lot. It uses so much that I have to personally refill it about every one to two weeks. My oil level light is on about 85% of the time when I drive, even after I just filled it back up. What could be the problem?
__________________
-Spencer

NightRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
jasonbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 5,686
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
VCG, OFHG, CCV, or didnt break in the engine properly so it is actually burning that much.
__________________
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2008 YAMAHA YZF-R6
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
NightRaider93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: University of Kentucky
Posts: 1,315
My Ride: 2007 Z4 Coupe
I already replaced the valve cover gasket earlier because it ended up leaking but I will check the others.
__________________
-Spencer

NightRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
jasonbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 5,686
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRaider93 View Post
I already replaced the valve cover gasket earlier because it ended up leaking but I will check the others.
usually, those seals wont cause such big oil consumption. mine were bad but it didnt burn oil that badly.
you gotta be dripping oil to have such high consumption.
to test CCV, remove the oil cap when engine running, if you feel slight suction, means its working.
__________________
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2008 YAMAHA YZF-R6
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
NightRaider93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: University of Kentucky
Posts: 1,315
My Ride: 2007 Z4 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
usually, those seals wont cause such big oil consumption. mine were bad but it didnt burn oil that badly.
you gotta be dripping oil to have such high consumption.
to test CCV, remove the oil cap when engine running, if you feel slight suction, means its working.
The problem is that there has never been an oil puddle because I've checked multiple times. The oil couldn't have been caught up somewhere could it?
__________________
-Spencer

NightRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
jasonbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 5,686
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRaider93 View Post
The problem is that there has never been an oil puddle because I've checked multiple times. The oil couldn't have been caught up somewhere could it?
take off the under tray and look.
__________________
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2008 YAMAHA YZF-R6
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
LA Prince
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Not Your Business
Posts: 971
My Ride: Not Your Business
Oil sensor?
LA Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
NightRaider93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: University of Kentucky
Posts: 1,315
My Ride: 2007 Z4 Coupe
Just checked for the CCV. There is suction so it isn't that. I just remembered last time the car was at the shop, when the mechanic was changing the VCG, he took off the under tray and the oil just started coming out. So could it be a hose that we missed?
__________________
-Spencer

NightRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
jasonbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 5,686
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRaider93 View Post
Just checked for the CCV. There is suction so it isn't that. I just remembered last time the car was at the shop, when the mechanic was changing the VCG, he took off the under tray and the oil just started coming out. So could it be a hose that we missed?
could be the Vanos hose.
__________________
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2008 YAMAHA YZF-R6
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
NightRaider93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: University of Kentucky
Posts: 1,315
My Ride: 2007 Z4 Coupe
Ok, i plan on doing the vanos the next time anyway so i'll tell my mechanic to check the hose.
__________________
-Spencer

NightRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
jasonbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 5,686
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRaider93 View Post
Ok, i plan on doing the vanos the next time anyway so i'll tell my mechanic to check the hose.
the hose is very easy to do if you are doing OGHG at the same time.
__________________
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2008 YAMAHA YZF-R6
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,785
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
You are checking the dipstick level in a.m. on level ground, right? Don't just dump oil in because of the light.

Is it coming on when you're driving, or just at start up for a little bit? If the latter, oil sensor is broken, but it doesn't sound like yours is...sound like CCV would be first thing to check carefully. You'll have suction with a bad ccv too. Just the guidetube clogged up could be enough to render ccv useless. Have you been on any long trips at all since you've been having this issue? Could be you just need a long drive...seriously. Not too likely that it'll fix things, but as odd as it sounds, it might.

Also, leaking fluid might be PS fluid too...don't assume...check PS reservoir level too.
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
NightRaider93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: University of Kentucky
Posts: 1,315
My Ride: 2007 Z4 Coupe
Yes, I have been checking it properly. It comes up every time i drive, sometimes through the entire drive, sometime it cuts off after a bit, then it will cut back on a few minutes later. I've been on a few 45 minute up and back trips and it hasn't been fixed. I had gotten the PS fluid drained and refilled the last time I was there but i'll make sure he checks all of these and i'll get the oil sensor replaced as well, just to make sure.
__________________
-Spencer

NightRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #14
Big Rick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Maryland - Land of Taxes!
Posts: 1,410
My Ride: 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
take off the under tray and look.
What he said... I have seen different vehicles leak with undertrays and you sometimes won't know if it is a daily driver as the oil comes off in the slipstream when you drive. Remove the tray and look... You will probably see it there.. If not... Look at the underside of the car.

Still... If it was losing THAT much oil... I would think you would see spots...
__________________
NWS and Advertising Removed.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
jdstrickland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 6,682
My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
If the oil light is on when the oil level is full, then you have a bad oil level sensor.

If you are constantly filling with less than a quart, you are chasing your tail. No matter what the light says, if the oil level is not below the lower mark, then you do not need oil. Period. The light means you need to check the oil level, it does not mean you need to add oil. In a perfect world, the light would not come on until the oil level is below the minimum level, and you would need to add oil if the light comes on. But it is common knowledge that the oil level sending unit is unreliable, and if you are adding just because the light comes on, then you are driving yourself crazy.

Oil can be catching in different places, and this can be why you do not see puddles under the car. BUT, eventually where ever the oil is pooling will overfill, and you will see puddles. I doubt that oil is hiding from you.

Oil from the valve cover gasket will drip onto the exhaust manifold and burn, and you will not see it pooling on the floor under the car. Just because you replaced the valve cover gasket does not mean it is not leaking. Lots of valve cover gaskets continue to leak for a variety of reasons.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
NightRaider93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: University of Kentucky
Posts: 1,315
My Ride: 2007 Z4 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
If the oil light is on when the oil level is full, then you have a bad oil level sensor.

If you are constantly filling with less than a quart, you are chasing your tail. No matter what the light says, if the oil level is not below the lower mark, then you do not need oil. Period. The light means you need to check the oil level, it does not mean you need to add oil. In a perfect world, the light would not come on until the oil level is below the minimum level, and you would need to add oil if the light comes on. But it is common knowledge that the oil level sending unit is unreliable, and if you are adding just because the light comes on, then you are driving yourself crazy.

Oil can be catching in different places, and this can be why you do not see puddles under the car. BUT, eventually where ever the oil is pooling will overfill, and you will see puddles. I doubt that oil is hiding from you.

Oil from the valve cover gasket will drip onto the exhaust manifold and burn, and you will not see it pooling on the floor under the car. Just because you replaced the valve cover gasket does not mean it is not leaking. Lots of valve cover gaskets continue to leak for a variety of reasons.
The last time I refilled the oil (yesterday in fact) it was under the lower mark, and i only refill it when it is either at or below the mark. I'm not adding just because the light is on as well, most of the time I just ignore it for a little bit, then go check the oil later on. Sometimes I do smell a bit of burning, but not every time. Also, I opened the hood and found a little bit of transmission fluid caked on the side of its cap but I doubt that would be creating a burning smell.
__________________
-Spencer

NightRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #17
jasonbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 5,686
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRaider93 View Post
The last time I refilled the oil (yesterday in fact) it was under the lower mark, and i only refill it when it is either at or below the mark. I'm not adding just because the light is on as well, most of the time I just ignore it for a little bit, then go check the oil later on. Sometimes I do smell a bit of burning, but not every time. Also, I opened the hood and found a little bit of transmission fluid caked on the side of its cap but I doubt that would be creating a burning smell.
that reservoir is your power steering. it takes ATF. the cap is leaking due to a rubber oring gets old. you can replace it to stop leaking.
__________________
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2008 YAMAHA YZF-R6
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
NightRaider93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: University of Kentucky
Posts: 1,315
My Ride: 2007 Z4 Coupe
Okay, thanks. I guess it wouldn't be bad to mention that the PO did not do Inspection 1 or 2 and did not do any preventative maintenance, just oil and tire changes. So i'm dealing with their inefficiency.
__________________
-Spencer

NightRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
jdstrickland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 6,682
My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
One, focus. You keep talking around whatever the issue is and go off on tangents that have nothing to do with the price of rice in China.

Does the oil light come on while the oil is full? If yes, then you need a new oil level sensor. If no, then you need to keep an eye on the light and check the oil every time it comes on. Even if you have oil consumption problems, you might also have a bad oil level sending unit, and the symptom of this is that you can add oil and the light still comes on.

You might have leaks in the power steering, but this fluiid level is not monitored by the car so do not confuse this issue with the other(s).

The CCV (crank case ventilation) is a common area where oil can move from the crank case and into the intake stream. I have not had the joy of servicing this item on any of my cars yet, but it is a common failure point that you must look into. Your mechanic should be very familiar with this part of the car, and if he's not then you need a new mechanic.

You have not ruled out the valve cover gasket (other than to say you replaced it already). You must consider the possibility that it was not done well/properly, and continues to leak. Having said that, both of my kids had a valve cover that was leaking, and the oil consumption rate was not so alarming that I felt a need to investigate a problem. The car was smoking a little from around the hood when she pulled into the garage, so I looked at the source of the smoke -- oil consumption was never a problem.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,252
My Ride: 2002 330i
You searched? I think not.


Second post has all of the answers.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use