E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
efortysicks

My Ride: E46 323i
Couple questions

Ok, so I'm getting new front control arms because the ball joints are shot. I decided to check other components out as well, when checking the shocks how much bounce is the car supposed to have? Mine bounces but not up and down significantly, but it doesn't just move right back to normal seating and not move, it'll move a little bit before stopping, if that makes sense at all. Should I replace the shocks then? I looked at stock shock prices and it almost seems better off getting coilovers then shocks. What do you guys think? I know with coils my rear tires would rub like crazy (on stock no sport height I got 19 inch rears 265/30/19 with a +38 offset). If I were to get coils would simply rolling my fenders be enough do you think or would I still rub? I don't mind a little bit after rolling fenders as I rub right now but I don't want it to get overwhelming.

Also, what other methods would you use to check suspension components? If I were to get everything needed I would get:
  • front lower control arms
  • rear lower control arm(mines bent, i'd get 2)
  • either H&R or bilstein coils (if it's the smart decision)
  • then rear shock mounts(only if buying coils)

Is that enough do you think? Also, very stupid question but are shocks and struts the same thing? Or are they different things?
efortysicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.