E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
School me on pre-workout

How well does it work? What supplements specifically should I look for in a mix? My biggest reason for looking into it is I often want to go work out but I'm drained from being so busy all day. I work and feel better if I can maintain a regular gym schedule and interrupting it because I don't have the energy throws that off. Also if it would help me make the most out of the time spent in the gym then I'm all for it.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
C4. Tastes like koolaid. Beta alanine is what will make you feel hyped up. Gives you the tingles. I get used to it after a week or so but the placebo is there. Drink like 30 min before workout. I'd say coffee but the does nothing for me. Caffeine pills maybe
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #3
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Personally, I've always found little to no difference between the supplements and just plain old caffeine. You might just wanna try 200 mg of caffeine about 15-30 minutes beforehand.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:56 PM   #4
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
C4. Tastes like koolaid. Beta alanine is what will make you feel hyped up. Gives you the tingles. I get used to it after a week or so but the placebo is there. Drink like 30 min before workout. I'd say coffee but the does nothing for me. Caffeine pills maybe
I'll give some a shot and report back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
Personally, I've always found little to no difference between the supplements and just plain old caffeine. You might just wanna try 200 mg of caffeine about 15-30 minutes beforehand.
A cup of coffee doesn't do jack sh!t for me. I don't drink much, one cup every morning, but unless I'm really dragging ass in the afternoon I can't tell much of a difference from just caffeine. A 5 hour energy is a different story though.

flickher

Old 02-03-2015, 10:04 PM   #5
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
I absolutely dread "before" working out. Afterwards, I feel great. I just suck it up and get it done, energy or not. Then I get tomorrow off.

It's a routine, like flossing teeth. I do it because it's a part of life.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Drink a rockstar. 300mg caffeine, lots of sugar. Not the healthiest option, but it works.
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezy321 View Post
Drink a rockstar. 300mg caffeine, lots of sugar. Not the healthiest option, but it works.

flickher

Old 02-04-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
he's right. Sugar is just carbs. The best thing you can have pre workout. Especially low GI carbs that close.

If I told people my intraworkout shake they'd call me crazy but it's delicious and works wonders for energy/recovery.

3 scoops gatorade powder (orange), and 1 scoop vanilla protein.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
he's right. Sugar is just carbs. The best thing you can have pre workout. Especially low GI carbs that close.

If I told people my intraworkout shake they'd call me crazy but it's delicious and works wonders for energy/recovery.

3 scoops gatorade powder (orange), and 1 scoop vanilla protein.
Really? Sugar dehydrates me like none other though, surely there's a better alternative. What do you mean carbs that close?

flickher

Old 02-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #10
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Really? Sugar dehydrates me like none other though, surely there's a better alternative. What do you mean carbs that close?
he means close to your work out. and in response to your comment about coffee doing jack for you: that's why i told you to take 200 mg. a cup of coffee is about 60 mg, whereas 5-hour energy is about 200 mg, which is exactly why 5 hour energy does something for you and coffee doesn't.

honestly, the two most essential things you can have flowing through you before a workout is quick digesting carbs (e.g. sugar) and caffeine. all those preworkout supplements have those two as their active ingredients. all the other crap that they put in (e.g. taurine, NO, etc.) is just meddling in the minutiae.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
cowmoo32
drunken science

I usually buy duncan donuts by the bag unless something better is on sale and a decent cup of their coffee is just shy of 200mg; I would imagine a lot of brands are similar
http://www.caffeineinformer.com/caff...-donuts-coffee

Interesting, I would think things like Niacin (B6) and other vasodilators would play more of a role so you could deliver more blood/oxygen to your muscles faster. I'm going to try the C4 Solly recommended and see how well it works. But I'll try an extra cup of coffee too in the meantime.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 02-04-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:22 PM   #12
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Solly meant to say "high GI" carbs, not low GI. That being said you don't want any sugar, but one that spikes the insulin fastest. Gatorade is good because dextrose in it is a high GI sugar. Also, you want to avoid donuts not because of carbs, but because of its fat content, especially if it has any of the "trans" variety.

Anything I tried in the market is crap IMO. Pop a 200mg caffeine pill or it's powder equivalent along with 2 primatene tablets 30-45 minutes before your workout and you're golden.

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT - Sold
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
Alpine WhiteCoral RedAluminum f30 328i Sportline/6MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #13
DylloS

Yea sorry about that guys. I messed up my wording. High GI close to workout and during. People munch on gummi Bears in between sets lol.

Cowmoo, you'll like the c4 I think. Best tasting preworkout I've had and worked the best for me.

Last edited by DylloS; 02-05-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #14
cowmoo32
drunken science

What's the best flavor?

flickher

Old 02-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #15
DylloS

Quote:
What's the best flavor?
I've had both watermelon and blue raspberry I think it was. Watermelon was hard to not drink at 12pm when I was just looking for a drink. It was so good.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #16
cowmoo32
drunken science

Ordered some, thanks. Just downed a giant cup of coffee and I'm going to work out in about 15-20 minutes, interested to see how this goes.

flickher

Old 02-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #17
pshep138

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3
Smoke crack.

/thread
pshep138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #18
DylloS

Quote:
Ordered some, thanks. Just downed a giant cup of coffee and I'm going to work out in about 15-20 minutes, interested to see how this goes.

What are your workout goals? I would said training but I know you don't like that.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #19
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
What are your workout goals? I would said training but I know you don't like that.
I'm in it for the mental benefits as much as anything, keeps me somewhat sane. That, and I really do plan on living as long as possible and nothing (natural) beats weight training (there, I said training) for keeping testosterone levels high and the rest of the body functioning as it should. I try to lift a little more every time I go to the gym, and in the weeks I'm able to get a regular schedule in, I max out one day of the week. I'd like to build muscle while it's still relatively easy because I know as I age it will get harder and harder to keep in shape.

And I don't know if it was placebo or not but I was able to go a little harder and longer than normally when I went on friday so maybe caffeine did the trick.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 02-09-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #20
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: Not a Porsche GT3!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
Indeed....

.....but in my case caffeine does nothing to me, thus, I don't use pre-workout supplements at all (...and I've found that most the reactions from people in the gym that take them are based on placebo anyway).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-09-2015 at 07:36 PM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote