E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #981
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
had a bunch of food, but I had a few bacon wrapped avocados. Delicious.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #982
Darkside213

My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Send a message via AIM to Darkside213
French toast
Bacon

Lunch: enchiladas

Dinner: turkey and beans

Later snack: protein shake

Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #983
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Bear burritos

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #984
Trashcan

I finally, officially decided my new years resolution. No processed meats/foods for an entire year. Wish me luck!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #985
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
I finally, officially decided my new years resolution. No processed meats/foods for an entire year. Wish me luck!

Good stuff, what's the reasoning behind it? I avoid processed meats, which is easy for me because I don't eat sandwiches or snacks ever, and pizza maybe once every two months or so. I do eat bacon on the weekends, but I buy a "natural" version (still contains celery extract which is a nitrate, but much better than regular version).

Processed foods will be tricky, I know it's January 3rd but I believe you will need to modify your goal. I went strictly paleo this summer and lasted a month, unless all you have time to do is workout and cook (you have to make everything from scratch) you won't succeed. However you can vastly reduce your processed food intake, which is something I have succeeded doing. My mentality is to avoid at all costs, but not to beat myself up if I need to consume them. I enjoy fast food from time to time (average it once or twice a month).

I avoid bread, pasta, and pretty much anything processed with this simple trick: I shop around the grocery store only. I don't shop in the aisles unless I need something specific, like spices or tomato sauce. Fresh produce, meats and dairy are all you need imo (dairy was what killed me with paleo).

I would change from "no processed meats/foods for a year" to "vastly reducing my intake of processed meats/foods" if it was me, unless your definition of "processed" is different than mine.

Besides making it a bit more realistic (hey if you can do it... I'm beyond impressed) I think it is a great resolution!

Last edited by dabears; 01-03-2013 at 09:44 AM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #986
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:

better throw away those pasta sides
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #987
Trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
better throw away those pasta sides
Lol that was one of the first things that upset me.
I have a pantry and some drawers loaded with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Good stuff, what's the reasoning behind it? I avoid processed meats, which is easy for me because I don't eat sandwiches or snacks ever, and pizza maybe once every two months or so. I do eat bacon on the weekends, but I buy a "natural" version (still contains celery extract which is a nitrate, but much better than regular version).

Processed foods will be tricky, I know it's January 3rd but I believe you will need to modify your goal. I went strictly paleo this summer and lasted a month, unless all you have time to do is workout and cook (you have to make everything from scratch) you won't succeed. However you can vastly reduce your processed food intake, which is something I have succeeded doing. My mentality is to avoid at all costs, but not to beat myself up if I need to consume them. I enjoy fast food from time to time (average it once or twice a month).

I avoid bread, pasta, and pretty much anything processed with this simple trick: I shop around the grocery store only. I don't shop in the aisles unless I need something specific, like spices or tomato sauce. Fresh produce, meats and dairy are all you need imo (dairy was what killed me with paleo).

I would change from "no processed meats/foods for a year" to "vastly reducing my intake of processed meats/foods" if it was me, unless your definition of "processed" is different than mine.

Besides making it a bit more realistic (hey if you can do it... I'm beyond impressed) I think it is a great resolution!
My reasoning? To change my diet to become healthier, to work on my self control, to open my eyes to see how my diet really is and hopefully to inspire some people to make some great changes.

The reason i didn't make the goal to be, "cut back on a LARGE amount of process food" is because that's to open for interpretation and easy for me too twist to fit what i want. I understand on a realistic level, that no, i won't make it a year, but I'm excited to see what i can learn and the changes i can make. I'm also very excited to see what i feel like at the end of the month compared to before, if there really is any noticeable effects.

By itself, processed food is open to interpretation. Technically, peeling a banana would be considered processing it (altering it's natural state). My job now, is to figure out a strict definition of what i consider "processed". I want something strict and difficult, but i don't want to get to the point where rather than being difficult to change my lifestyle to fit it, it becomes impossible.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #988
dabears

Quote:
My reasoning? To change my diet to become healthier, to work on my self control, to open my eyes to see how my diet really is and hopefully to inspire some people to make some great changes.

The reason i didn't make the goal to be, "cut back on a LARGE amount of process food" is because that's to open for interpretation and easy for me too twist to fit what i want. I understand on a realistic level, that no, i won't make it a year, but I'm excited to see what i can learn and the changes i can make. I'm also very excited to see what i feel like at the end of the month compared to before, if there really is any noticeable effects.

By itself, processed food is open to interpretation. Technically, peeling a banana would be considered processing it (altering it's natural state). My job now, is to figure out a strict definition of what i consider "processed". I want something strict and difficult, but i don't want to get to the point where rather than being difficult to change my lifestyle to fit it, it becomes impossible.

very admirable undertaking, and I completely recommend the "cold turkey" approach at first. That way you can see how much the food bothers you when it isn't constantly in your system, I've literally given myself gluten intolerance and the respective side effects when I had zero issue before. I think it's a good thing!

As far as the definition of "processed" I feel that the primal way of lifestyle defines it very well. A great resource: http://www.marksdailyapple.com

I follow this roughly, however I added in rice as to me it's very natural (I don't agree with this whole grain hatred... flour and raw rice are very different).

For me, processed means anything humans have chemically altered. Margarine, vegetable oils, flour, anything with corn byproducts (dextrose, maltodextrin)... as well as pretty much anything you find in a package. Organic salsa, frozen vegetables, and some canned goods are exceptions.

You seem to be able to cook & have an appreciation for it... this is the biggest factor for an individual to make this change in my opinion, enjoying and excelling at home cooking.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #989
DylloS

Quote:
Lol that was one of the first things that upset me.
I have a pantry and some drawers loaded with them.

the paleo/primal diet might be a good approach for you
Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #990
Trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
very admirable undertaking, and I completely recommend the "cold turkey" approach at first. That way you can see how much the food bothers you when it isn't constantly in your system, I've literally given myself gluten intolerance and the respective side effects when I had zero issue before. I think it's a good thing!

As far as the definition of "processed" I feel that the primal way of lifestyle defines it very well. A great resource: http://www.marksdailyapple.com

I follow this roughly, however I added in rice as to me it's very natural (I don't agree with this whole grain hatred... flour and raw rice are very different).

For me, processed means anything humans have chemically altered. Margarine, vegetable oils, flour, anything with corn byproducts (dextrose, maltodextrin)... as well as pretty much anything you find in a package. Organic salsa, frozen vegetables, and some canned goods are exceptions.

You seem to be able to cook & have an appreciation for it... this is the biggest factor for an individual to make this change in my opinion, enjoying and excelling at home cooking.
Thanks for the support and appreciation of what I'm doing!
I'm not sure I'll notice a huge change as my diet already includes little "processed food". But I'm still interested to find the short and long term effects of what I'm going to do.

My definition that I've come up with today for what processed food contains is as follows:
artificial flavors, artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, chemical altering of the food and/or preservatives (some natural preservatives will be accepted).

This allows me to continue eating yoplait yogurt and bread products (if i buy them from the local bakery). And hopefully i can buy boxes of plain pasta/Noodles (Ie spaghetti, bow tie ect) and make my own fresh sauces that i can freeze and stockpile.

i think I'm going to have to start making my own granola bars though...

On my dinner break I'll read what you linked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
the paleo/primal diet might be a good approach for you
Thanks for the tip! I'll look into that on my dinner break.

Last edited by Trashcan; 01-03-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #991
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Best of luck, trashcan. It's not easy making that sort of dietary change - artificial ingredients are in EVERYTHING.

I've, unfortunate, brought a lot of junk in my diet just bc it's easy and quick. The time and effort that goes into eating really "clean" is proving very difficult for me right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #992
Trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Best of luck, trashcan. It's not easy making that sort of dietary change - artificial ingredients are in EVERYTHING.

I've, unfortunate, brought a lot of junk in my diet just bc it's easy and quick. The time and effort that goes into eating really "clean" is proving very difficult for me right now.
It's along the lines of going to the gym. I fell out of my gym routine for somewhere between 6 and 12 months. When i was looking to go back again, i looked and said "how the hell did i manage 2 hours a day at the gym, 12-14 hours a day at work, eating healthy, keeping my house clean and maintaining a relationship and social life?!" But once you get acclimated to your schedule it's not bad.

In all honesty there's about 7-10 hours a week i put into food prep (cooking, chopping and figuring out recipes) not including grocery shopping or dishes. If you find interesting new foods (Marlin, swordfish, bear ect.) it keeps it interesting and more worth while. Once or twice a week I'll invite a person or 2 over for dinner. You get new ideas for recipes and cooking becomes something fun rather than a chore.

Hope this can help! Best of luck and thanks for your encouragement!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #993
DylloS

Not the prettiest but it's damn good. Meatloaf and sweet potatoes

Last edited by DylloS; 12-30-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #994
dabears

Buffet.... I feel incredibly ill (in a good way). Broccoli salad was disgusting so I didn't eat it. About 1800 calories, mostly fat and protein
Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #995
dabears

Pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1357329973.520849.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	484600  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #996
Trashcan

I think my home made granola bars are lacking protein/calories

Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #997
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
its really hard for me to eat right now, being sick. basically shoved 4 eggs, 2 pieces of toast, and 2 pieces of bacon down my throat today.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #998
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Bear burritos

Is this supposed to be "bean" burritos? Or are you actually eating bear meat?

Given your location, I'm not 100% sure this is a spelling error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #999
Trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Is this supposed to be "bean" burritos? Or are you actually eating bear meat?

Given your location, I'm not 100% sure this is a spelling error.
That wasnt a typo, it is bear meat. I have a pretty decent stash of it yet.

I'm making lobster soon but haven't decided what to go with it. Also just finished a good week + supply of homemade granola bars.

Last edited by Trashcan; 01-05-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #1000
Trashcan

Simple dinner tonight. Lobster over a sliced bell pepper and I'll have a cup of yogurt for dessert. Maybe try one of the granola bars now that they're cooled and see how they taste since i adjusted the recipe to pack more protein in.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1357432803674.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	484722