E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
AlexC28

My Ride: 323i 2000
New Head unit

Pioneer AVH-280BT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017LKV8W0..._SzGRxbFHZ4QZN

Would I be able to fit this into my BMW if I relocated the A/C control system down.
AlexC28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Doubtful without hacking crap up.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
dan4081

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC28 View Post
Pioneer AVH-280BT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017LKV8W0..._SzGRxbFHZ4QZN

Would I be able to fit this into my BMW if I relocated the A/C control system down.
No.
If you do you would need to modify the ac ducts and ac flapper controls that are behind the radio.
dan4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
Mango
FCPEuro.com-Code MangoFCP5

My Ride: 2016 Lexus
Keep it stock. I want to puke whenever I see an E46 with an aftermarket headunit. The only clean/elegant solution is a screen that covers the whole area up. But at that point as mentioned, you'll have to cut up your car. Not fun

Support our DMAX: www.Facebook.com/DMAXstandup
FCPEuro.com - use code MangoFCP5 to get 5% off your order!
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
dan4081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Keep it stock. I want to puke whenever I see an E46 with an aftermarket headunit. The only clean/elegant solution is a screen that covers the whole area up. But at that point as mentioned, you'll have to cut up your car. Not fun
Dont agree with that at all.
The Dynavin, eonon or avins all look great and no cutting required:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA04D5CA-ED66-4172-A077-A4010A90712D_zpsjhjzwlk0.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	638567  
Old 08-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post
I just said the exception is when you have a headunit where the screen covers the whole area.

As for that HU itself, it looks good but it's just some random generic crap that doesn't do anything for sound quality. If you're going to have the same or worse sound quality than stock, then what's the point?

Old 08-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
dan4081

Quote:
I just said the exception is when you have a headunit where the screen covers the whole area.

As for that HU itself, it looks good but it's just some random generic crap that doesn't do anything for sound quality. If you're going to have the same or worse sound quality than stock, then what's the point?
No, you said:
"The only clean/elegant solution is a screen that covers the whole area up. But at that point as mentioned, you'll have to cut up your car"
I corrected your post that you do not have to do any cutting to install a dynavin or the like.
As for it being "some random generic crap that doesnt do anything for sound quality", I'll correct you again. The Dynavin units are built with some pretty impressive specs with sound quality in mind...burr brown dac's, 4 volt output, built in time alignment, a nice equalizer, etc etc. Havent heard a single person who has installed one complain about the quality of the sound.
BTW, my Eonon replaced my Alpine headunit in a very expensive system in my car and sounds great. No issues with it at all AND as a bonus it has built in GPS, bluetooth, ability to receive and make hands free calls, controls an ipod, etc etc.

Last edited by dan4081; 08-12-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #8
Mango

Quote:
No, you said:
"The only clean/elegant solution is a screen that covers the whole area up. But at that point as mentioned, you'll have to cut up your car"
I corrected your post that you do not have to do any cutting to install a dynavin or the like.
As for it being "some random generic crap that doesnt do anything for sound quality", I'll correct you again. The Dynavin units are built with some pretty impressive specs with sound quality in mind...burr brown dac's, 4 volt output, built in time alignment, a nice equalizer, etc etc. Havent heard a single person who has installed one complain about the quality of the sound.
BTW, my Eonon replaced my Alpine headunit in a very expensive system in my car and sounds great. No issues with it at all AND as a bonus it has built in GPS, bluetooth, ability to receive and make hands free calls, controls an ipod, etc etc.
The unit OP linked is not the alibaba stuff you reference. your point is moot in the context of what the OP wants to install

2016 is strong today

Old 08-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
dan4081

Quote:
The unit OP linked is not the alibaba stuff you reference. your point is moot in the context of what the OP wants to install

2016 is strong today
But my point is 100% on target in correcting the misinformation you were spreading and hopefully that will help the OP to make an informed decision.

Certainly dont want him following any of the wrong information that so frequently gets spewed around here......and at the same time he can see that there are options.
Like I said, with the correct facts about those options he can make an informed decision.

Last edited by dan4081; 08-12-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #10
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
New Head unit

I don't see why a double din wouldn't fit in the space with the proper trim adaptation. My concern would be depth, as I don't know how much room you have behind the OEM head unit and climate controls.

Edit: took me 10 seconds to find 20+ examples on google image. I can see how filling the extra Real estate around the screen with buttons helps make it look more complete with the car, however to simply answer your question, others obviously have made it fit.

Last edited by BKMrSteel; 08-12-2016 at 03:15 PM.
BKMrSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #11
dan4081

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
I don't see why a double din wouldn't fit in the space with the proper trim adaptation. My concern would be depth, as I don't know how much room you have behind the OEM head unit and climate controls.
Thats exactly why. The depth.
Many posters on these forums have put double dins in and they look great but they had to modify the area behind the radio to make room for how deep the units are.
That is why I mentioned the units I did. They have been designed to fit without modifications and they are also plug and play.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
AlexC28

What are recommendations for a good head unit double or single that would be fit (plug and play) for around $150, as the ones I see are $500 plus. I want something that looks like it fits, because those Pioneer head units look so techy rather than classy.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #13
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
I have a "multi media " head unit because depth was a problem. You might find a double din without the CD player that would fit. Who even uses CD's anymore anyway.
BKMrSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #14
AlexC28

Quote:
Yeah I seen those, the only reason why I showed you that one above is because those other ones are really nice but have a price tag to go with it, most Pioneer head units look a little too out of sort, but the Dynavin look like it fits but then again I don't have $500+ for a head unit. If you have any other recommendations double or single within around $150 I wouldn't mind.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #15
AlexC28

Also I seen some Single din ones that fold out, are they any good but they also block the vents.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #16
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
Brackets exist for a Double DIN:

http://www.janus-design.net/english/e46doubledin/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3016806...&ul_noapp=true

You will also need an relocation kit for the climate control.

Does it have to be a Double DIN though? I have Kenwood Single DIN units in both of my E46's. Bought it mainly for improved BT connectivity and a dedicated microphone, but the extra features are nice. Doesn't look bad at all since the amber color match is spot on.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #17
AlexC28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post

Does it have to be a Double DIN though? I have Kenwood Single DIN units in both of my E46's. Bought it mainly for improved BT connectivity and a dedicated microphone, but the extra features are nice. Doesn't look bad at all since the amber color match is spot on.
Thank you
Edit: That first link is helpful, and my E46 doesn't have a AUX or BT
Do I still need the AC Relocation kit, can I just remove the storage beneath it and place it there, I am seeing tutorials on youtube on how to install Dynavin and that is what I am seeing going on.

Last edited by AlexC28; 08-12-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #18
dan4081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post

--snipped--.
The faceplates you linked to work nicely but then you still need to rework/remold the ac vents as well as re do the ac flapper controls behind the radio to fit a double din. Its a bit of work.

For the $150 budget your suggestion of a single din is the way to go.
Don't forget you will still also need an adapter if you want to keep your steering wheel controls.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #19
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Quote:
Agreed.

I despise how aftermarket head units look. They really are nauseating.

The only acceptable option, in my opinion, is the Avin head unit. But it's enough of a price difference to consider a single DIN aftermarket head unit. There's no way I'll ever use anything other than the Avin on this car, but I can sort of understand why people do it. (I just realized how this sounds. I do not have the Avin head unit. It's just the only one I'm considering.)

It took me months to settle on the Blaupunkt head unit I put in my Volvo. Much better sound than stock, very good Bluetooth, full iPod control. But that car's from 1991, and the head unit looks okay with the interior.

Last edited by lingon300k; 08-12-2016 at 05:03 PM.
lingon300k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #20
AlexC28

Quote:
The faceplates you linked to work nicely but then you still need to rework/remold the ac vents as well as re do the ac flapper controls behind the radio to fit a double din. Its a bit of work.
Do I need to do the same thing with Dynavin, Avin, eonon?