E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 170 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #461
lfhdez

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to lfhdez Send a message via Yahoo to lfhdez
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingLucky View Post
I can't get it to work either.

I have the new BMW logo loading screen, and the revised menu in the iPod interface, but steering wheel controls don't work for me (except volume).

I'm not the only one either, somebody on the Dynavin forum also has this exact same issue.
Just noticed, it's you on the Dynavin forum also, maybe it's just the two of us?

On a happier note I got TomTom working tonight and I quite like it.
I'm after Primo next.

Anybody got NDrive, and if so what do you think of it?
lol.. I think it is us...

Transmitido en espaņol por SAP
lfhdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #462
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
not sure if you guys noticed this or not, but the volume can also be controlled using the touch screen
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #463
BrutaL

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honro View Post
Silly question, but where would i be checking to see if there are any firmware updates for the dynavin... i must be blind because i couldnt see any on their website...

also, is there any skins available for the dynavin? Just to pretty it up a bit
Simplest and easiest way to get there is this:
1. Login to the dynavin forum site. Register if you're not a member yet and stay logged in.
2. Then just paste this url in the browser address bar
"http://dynavin.freeforums.org/dynavin-e46-v5-and-e39-firmware-update-20-10-2010-t452.html" without the dbl quotes.

Last edited by BrutaL; 10-26-2010 at 10:26 PM.
BrutaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:12 AM   #464
Honro

My Ride: M3 E46
Another question - dunno if this is the right place for it. So my apologies if its not.

Im going to be installing a reverse camera tomorrow, and i was just wondering if i need to connect anywhere else on the dynavin OTHER then the blue "Rear camera in" plug on the unit itself? My understanding is i wire the camera to the reverse lights, and then directly to the unit, as per the diagram below.

Honro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:39 AM   #465
Honro

This is where im stuck - please disregard the shitty paint diagram lol . Just not sure what the red lil wires in the middle are for;

Old 10-27-2010, 05:00 AM   #466
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
This is where im stuck - please disregard the shitty paint diagram lol . Just not sure what the red lil wires in the middle are for;

Those red wires that are on each end of the video cable are the reverse trigger wires, without them the camera will not automatically turn on when you put the car in reverse gear.
One end you need to splice into the reverse light along with the camera's power wire and the other end connects to the single reverse wire that is located on the Dynavin main harness (apart from the blue rear camera in cable) amongst the wires that have the bullet connectors.

I got stuck at the same point Honro since none of the DIYs mention that reverse trigger wire until one of the members here finally explained it, hope my explaination was clear enough.

Last edited by Darkoz; 10-27-2010 at 05:06 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #467
TRBOVNM

Darkoz, that should cover it.

All the wires/connectors are labeled. I would recommend everyone look at that first before even attempting the install just to get familiar with what you have.

like Darkoz said, that single wire from the dynavin goes to the same place as the power wire for the camera, which should be the 12v wire on the reverse light. I think the grount wire on the camera I hooked to the other wire on the reverse light. It should be ground, but test it with a light or multimeter to confirm.

for the power wire on the reverse light, when testing, you can just have key on and put the car in reverse. some people I have talked to thought the car had to be started, but it doesn't.

the video cable should be self explanatory.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #468
Honro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Those red wires that are on each end of the video cable are the reverse trigger wires, without them the camera will not automatically turn on when you put the car in reverse gear.
One end you need to splice into the reverse light along with the camera's power wire and the other end connects to the single reverse wire that is located on the Dynavin main harness (apart from the blue rear camera in cable) amongst the wires that have the bullet connectors.

I got stuck at the same point Honro since none of the DIYs mention that reverse trigger wire until one of the members here finally explained it, hope my explaination was clear enough.
Thanks Darkoz, that helps a lot actually! So just to make sure I understood.

One red wires (on the AV cable) goes to power and the other red wire on the other end (trigger wire) goes to a connector on the dynavin. This is where my problem is, im using the fakra method, so all the connections that are supposed to be behind the unit are in the boot/trunk, so does that mean ill have to run a cable from that second trigger wire (closest to the dynavin) all the way back to the boot/trunk?

Hope that makes sense.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #469
bimmer2u

My Ride: 2003 325i 104,000 mi
Primo and iGo 8.3.x on one SDHC

I was working on putting all the best of the Primo updates and 8.3 versions together so I could have the latest and greatest for when my unit arrived. I spent many hours downloading rar files. I got help from a lot of people but one member in particular, 2000_328ci, made my life real easy. He provided me with the both versions of the latest software on a 4 GB SDHC card with an adaptor. Everything was perfect and works extremely well. IT EVEN INCLUDED THE LATEST MAPS. It was plug and play. I wish I would had the SD card before spending hours in loads. Just thought some of you guys would like to know.
bimmer2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #470
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
^^^^^Good work Chase....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #471
fgin

My Ride: e46 facelift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post

Darkoz.. My reverse camera AV cable didn't have the extra wire for the trigger and I didn't see the point of running a wire all the way from the dynavin to the rear boot lid to get the trigger, so I looked for the reverse light (blue with a yellow streak) wire that runs along the door sill (front right) and spliced it just below the driver's door (mine's a right hand drive car) sill.
Honro, you could do the same.

Last edited by fgin; 10-27-2010 at 11:31 PM.
fgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #472
TRBOVNM

Quote:
Thanks Darkoz, that helps a lot actually! So just to make sure I understood.

One red wires (on the AV cable) goes to power and the other red wire on the other end (trigger wire) goes to a connector on the dynavin. This is where my problem is, im using the fakra method, so all the connections that are supposed to be behind the unit are in the boot/trunk, so does that mean ill have to run a cable from that second trigger wire (closest to the dynavin) all the way back to the boot/trunk?

Hope that makes sense.
I really know nothing about the fakra except it seems needed when you have factory nav.

that said, I don't see why that matters. My camera had the video cable and then a power and ground cable. ground is your typical ground hook up. the power wire on the camera was connected to the power wire on the reverse light so the camera is activated when the car is in reverse. So now the dynavin needs to know when you are in reverse and when to turn on the back up screen, so the single wire on the dynavin harness goes to the reverse light as well(same wire the power wire from the camera is connected to). If you find that wire up front and don't want to run a wire to the trunk, that is fine. but you have to run a video cable from the dynavin to the trunk to hook to the camera, so I just taped a wire to that video cable and ran them at the same time. some video cables come with a single wire already attached.

so I don't see why the fakra would even matter. my confusion is that it appears you have two power and ground wires on the camera. you would have to look at the camera install instructions and see what that is about. I only had one set on mine.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #473
n2siast

My Ride: 02 330ci
Can anyone shed any light on a freezing issue? Seems like in the morning the unit becomes very unresponsive, touch screen hardly works, buttons are tempermental and remote acting up also.

Anyone experience the same and is there anything that can be done to remedy this issue.

Seems to work fine after about an hour or so, but very frustrating if I want to change the radio station or switch to a CD, etc.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #474
TRBOVNM

^no issues with mine.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #475
Jazz78

My Ride: BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2siast View Post
Can anyone shed any light on a freezing issue? Seems like in the morning the unit becomes very unresponsive, touch screen hardly works, buttons are tempermental and remote acting up also.

Anyone experience the same and is there anything that can be done to remedy this issue.

Seems to work fine after about an hour or so, but very frustrating if I want to change the radio station or switch to a CD, etc.
Do you have a V5 unit? Have you updated to latest firmware?
Jazz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #476
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Jeff, any dates when the next shipment is due?
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #477
n2siast

My Ride: 02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz78 View Post
Do you have a V5 unit? Have you updated to latest firmware?
Have the V5, don't have the updated firmware as of yet. Also, not sure if it has any bearing on my issue, but I haven't grounded the parking brake wire as of yet.

I'll update firmware this weekend, will monitor to see if that helps any.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #478
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
Jeff, any dates when the next shipment is due?
As of last night Dynavin told me that the next round of production is scheduled for November 10th-15th. So it looks more like mid november instead of early november.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #479
TRBOVNM

Quote:
Have the V5, don't have the updated firmware as of yet. Also, not sure if it has any bearing on my issue, but I haven't grounded the parking brake wire as of yet.

you don't have to ground the parking brake wire.

on the DVD side of the unit, go to the main menu screen where you can select your device. lower left of the screen is the options (gear symbol) and in there, one of the tabs, I think system tab, uncheck the Brake option. that is it.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #480
Jazz78

My Ride: BMW 328i
Quote:

I also had problems with system sometimes freezing with the original firmware. This was a bug with RDS. You can try turning RDS off, that should fix the problem.
But like i said, update to the latest firmware. If it is the RDS bug, then updating will fix it.
Strangely not all are experiencing this RDS problem, it seems it depends on how much RDS info is being broadcasted by radio stations in your region.
Jazz78 is offline   Reply With Quote