E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 101 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #881
harticus5

My Ride: 2003 M3 Coupe
Thanks Jeff for all your help! Dynavin is so much better than the business cd. Jeff is without a doubt the best dealer selling this!
03 BMW M3 Coupe,Titan. Silver,Black Leather Interier,6 SPD,Prem Pkg,Cold Weather Pkg,Harman Kardon, Xenon Lights,Alum. Interier Trim,Alarm,Black Side grills,15% Tint,Dynavin v5 w/ rvserse camera,Clear Side markers,MS54,M3 emblem trunk mat/floor mats,Painted front reflectors,Driver KeyHole delete,Blue/White LED inter.LED exter/tail/turn,Allum.Pedals,M3 Illum. door sills"==///M3==",Painted Fog LGT Insrt,Sirius Sprt5 hardwired,Chrome license plate
harticus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #882
Artful Codger

My Ride: 2002 330ci Cabriolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
the BMW splash screen is in the firmware update that is linked in the FAQ. The USB on the tuner is to load and update the firmware on the Tuner. Please read the first couple pages of the firmware update thread on the dynavin forum as I seem to remember something about updating the tuner firmware when you update the dynavin firmware.
Ok thanks Jeff, I just assumed my unit would have the latest FW... no biggie... and I'll have a look around for the tuner fw while I'm at it. Is there actually a manual anywhere for the DVB-T tuner. I actually got it to find a bunch of Sydney TV channels but after fiddling some more and taking the unit out a couple of times to rerun cables I couldn't get it to find the stations again and I could'nt find the Install and setup menu again...early days I guess.

Graeme

edit. I guess I should ask if anyone knows the best place to mount the antennas in a convertible....looks like more trim removal required...lol

Last edited by Artful Codger; 12-11-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Artful Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #883
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
okay....to answer a bunch of questions at the same time, its my daughters 3rd birthday party and im about to have 40 people in my house....so you wont be hearing from me for awhile!

inta, If the bottom of the unit is popping out, pull the unit out of the dash, there are two spring loaded retaining clips on the bottom, behind the face, yours are likely bent, its easy to do during the install, take them off, bend them back to shape and pop the unit back in. Also if you look on the bottom of the dynavin you will see a little rubber pad, a couple inches square, taping something on there to make it a bit thicker will both force the bottom of the dynavin to stay in place, but it will also add a couple of degrees of downward tilt to the unit helping with visibility (see my "glare fix" at the beginning of this thread).

Codger, There is no manual that I know for the DVB tuner and since im in the states I cant really use one to help you out....just look around a bit to see what you can find. I do know that you need a fairly strong signal to get it to see the channels when you do a scan so you might take the car to a different location where the signal is stronger in order to scan for channels. I know a lot of people use the A pillars behind the airbags for the antennas, maybe the header could work as well....

James & Flybot, the E46 unit only has one SD card slot so it is dedicated to the windows functions and the SD in the source menu is non functional, the E39 unit has 2 sd card slots, one for windows and one for a source so the SD in the source menu IS functional. They share the same firmware so thats why dynavin just didnt leave it out of the E46 unit.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-11-2010 at 04:46 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #884
Artful Codger

Quote:
Cut the orange in the fakra harness and splice it to the red in the fakra harness, that way when the red wire is hot, your lights will turn on. You can also cut the orange and attach it to any lighting wire. Most guys prefer the orange to red splice as it is VERY easy and can be done entirely in the Fakra harness.
Sorry I seem to have a lot of questions now but all being resolved one way or another...I've fully removed the BMW radio and 6 CD stacker so now heaps of room for the fakra plug assembly.

So going by your quote...and please don't flame me...I just don't want to stuff this up..I need to completely cut the orange wire where it enters the plug housing and then solder (Aus spelling) it into the red wire connector which has two red wires on it already...easiest to bare some wire and solder the orange onto the red...Is that all correct?...yes and I know that is exactly sort of what you said...sorry..

Graeme...still hot in Sydney but Oprah's here...yay...

Jeff...have a great 3rd birthday your daughter that is...don't eat too much cake...we can all wait....I still have cables to run lol...

Last edited by Artful Codger; 12-11-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #885
J&T Distributing

You have it correct...

Early to bed for me tonight....

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-11-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #886
DANe46

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i E46
Time out[351]

First off... Jeff is amazing and has been so helpful, responds to emails quickly and really cares about his customers.

currently we are trying to resolve the TIME OUT[351] error I am getting when I try to use ipod mode/screen controls. Does anyone else get this error? I am using a 2gen ipod touch, flash updated to the new dynavin firmware my SWC work sometimes its hit-and-miss sometimes they work other times they just don't respond while the ipod is connected I get "Accessory Connected" screen. see pictures below:

TIME OUT[351] appears in the upper left hand corner

ipod-touch has this screen?

If anyone can figure this out I would really appreciate it!

I must say I am still very impressed with the Dynavin unit... bummer not having my ipod working I have been supplementing with streaming Pandora via/bluetooth AMAZING!!!! and watching podcast via/bluetooth streaming:

TIME OUT[351]
Old 12-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #887
stlnation

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330XI
My dynavin is really loud. When i turn it on no musix playing or anything there is a louid whirl sound. Almost sounds like something is spinning...
stlnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #888
inta

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
inta, If the bottom of the unit is popping out, pull the unit out of the dash, there are two spring loaded retaining clips on the bottom, behind the face, yours are likely bent, its easy to do during the install, take them off, bend them back to shape and pop the unit back in. Also if you look on the bottom of the dynavin you will see a little rubber pad, a couple inches square, taping something on there to make it a bit thicker will both force the bottom of the dynavin to stay in place, but it will also add a couple of degrees of downward tilt to the unit helping with visibility (see my "glare fix" at the beginning of this thread).
I've been avoiding removing the unit, because of the hard time I had physically getting it in in the first place (which is probably where the retaining clips got bent). I'll give it a shot sometime if it continues to bug me, thanks!

Can someone tell me what "tool" they used to mount the flushmount USB and/or the 3.5mm flush mount audio connector? Any pictures of either of these flush-mounted in a eurotray or cupholder console area? I'm looking for a way to 'melt' the ABS plastic cleanly -- just can't seem to find a PLASTIC MELTING TOOL anywhere
inta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #889
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
Not sure I understand. What are you trying to melt? Plastic obviously, but what plastic? You should be able to drill a hole that the flush mount will fit into very snug. I did this in my glove box and ended up using either hot glue or an epoxy mix (don't recall) as added strength just in case. But they did go in pretty snug.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #890
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlnation View Post
My dynavin is really loud. When i turn it on no musix playing or anything there is a louid whirl sound. Almost sounds like something is spinning...
That'll be the cooling fan at the rear of the Dynavin
Old 12-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #891
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by inta View Post
...........Can someone tell me what "tool" they used to mount the flushmount USB and/or the 3.5mm flush mount audio connector? Any pictures of either of these flush-mounted in a eurotray or cupholder console area? I'm looking for a way to 'melt' the ABS plastic cleanly -- just can't seem to find a PLASTIC MELTING TOOL anywhere
The only tool you need is a drill with a 3/4" spade bit to drill out a hole, the flush mount USB then simply snaps into the hole, not sure why you think you need to melt anyting
And you can see pics of it mounted in a eurotray in the very first post of this very informative Dynavin info thread

Last edited by Darkoz; 12-12-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:56 AM   #892
harticus5

My Ride: 2003 M3 Coupe
hey, I got this error once myself. I just unplugged it and replugged the ipod and it went away. My ipod is also hit and miss. Same scenario as you. Bluetooth is amazing quality! Sirius to M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANe46 View Post
First off... Jeff is amazing and has been so helpful, responds to emails quickly and really cares about his customers.

currently we are trying to resolve the TIME OUT[351] error I am getting when I try to use ipod mode/screen controls. Does anyone else get this error? I am using a 2gen ipod touch, flash updated to the new dynavin firmware my SWC work sometimes its hit-and-miss sometimes they work other times they just don't respond while the ipod is connected I get "Accessory Connected" screen. see pictures below:

TIME OUT[351] appears in the upper left hand corner

ipod-touch has this screen?

I must say I am still very impressed with the Dynavin unit... bummer not having my ipod working I have been supplementing with streaming Pandora via/bluetooth AMAZING!!!! and watching podcast via/bluetooth streaming:

TIME OUT[351]
03 BMW M3 Coupe,Titan. Silver,Black Leather Interier,6 SPD,Prem Pkg,Cold Weather Pkg,Harman Kardon, Xenon Lights,Alum. Interier Trim,Alarm,Black Side grills,15% Tint,Dynavin v5 w/ rvserse camera,Clear Side markers,MS54,M3 emblem trunk mat/floor mats,Painted front reflectors,Driver KeyHole delete,Blue/White LED inter.LED exter/tail/turn,Allum.Pedals,M3 Illum. door sills"==///M3==",Painted Fog LGT Insrt,Sirius Sprt5 hardwired,Chrome license plate
harticus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:02 AM   #893
Artful Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by inta View Post
Can someone tell me what "tool" they used to mount the flushmount USB and/or the 3.5mm flush mount audio connector? Any pictures of either of these flush-mounted in a eurotray or cupholder console area? I'm looking for a way to 'melt' the ABS plastic cleanly -- just can't seem to find a PLASTIC MELTING TOOL anywhere
I ended up drilling out the end of the cigarette lighter...shaving some rubber off the flush mount surround and using that as a USB mounting point...that way I can have the flash drive mounted in the ashtray with the cover closed.... and I don't smoke anyway....missus has promised she won't smoke in the bimmer either....

I guess I was worried that the flash drive may get knocked and damage the USB plug or something...this way it is protected and concealed..

Edit
oh and as Darkoz says this, and the previous thread are most informative...and Jeff is just amazing...I think he has sold Dynavins across the whole world now from what I can see, I certainly bought mine inc the DVB-T tuner etc from him...hehe

Last edited by Artful Codger; 12-12-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #894
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Codger View Post
...........edit. I guess I should ask if anyone knows the best place to mount the antennas in a convertible....looks like more trim removal required...lol
Where have you got the antenna mounted at the moment?
I found a good place to mount it is to remove the passenger side A pillar cover, glovebox and passenger side air vent.
Then run the antenna wire behind the glovebox, then up behind the air vent and then across and up the A pillar so you can then stick the antenna horizontally in the uppermost top left inside corner of the windscreen.

Concerning the TV channels, don't be too concerned about it, finding and getting digital TV reception in a vehicle is hit and miss at best, it's just not meant to be used in something that's mobile.

By the way, I like your nic hehe

Last edited by Darkoz; 12-12-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:12 AM   #895
Artful Codger

Sort of got the antennas sorted...but I couldn't work out how to take the cover off the A pillar...so ran one antenna out the edge of the passenger side AC vent then under the edge of the dash along to the windscreen and then up the A pillar and across the top about 20cm, did more or less the same on the other side used a coat hanger to carefully find a path behind the instrument panel out the drivers side AC vent along the edge of the dash and up...I guess if you knew what to look for you'd see the cable but its all of about an inch of exposed cable right in the corner ....

Yes the digital TV reception isn't terribly good where I live but I did manage to jag the channels when mucking around with the system yesterday. I'll take Jeff's advice and drive to where the reception is better...I live in a hole...hehe

AC is my handle on some game servers...sorry still a geek even at an advanced age.....just wish the missus would understand lol...

WRT this Dynavin, I think I now have at least 20 pages bookmarked with various DIYs and I still haven't even played music through the thing yet...

Graeme
Old 12-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #896
piers

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Codger View Post
Move along nothing to see here....

I think i worked it all out....I'll blame the hot sun lol...and the Dynavin works too ...is it simple to add the BMW flashscreen logo instead of the Dynavin one...whoops there is a question...and I'm sure the answer is in the first thread at least I seem to remember it was in the first thread, maybe early in the second...somewhere...Jeff would you mind putting that one in the FAQ ...please...
hey artful, i also want the bmw splash screen... i'm doing the v5 install today... let me know how you get on with the firmware update.
piers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #897
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANe46 View Post

This happens on my ipod. Seems to affect some ipod models, I guess, but it is not a show stopper. I just back out of the ipod mode in what ever method you choose and go back to ipod. works the second time. If I may quote Jeff from his email reply when I asked this: "its normal, they all seem to do it, just more or less depending on the ipod. I have a classic that does it about 25% of the time and an iphone that does it almost never and a nano that does it almost every time. The easiest workaround I know of is to press the right side knob to go to bluetooth and then press the "back" button in the lower right." I think hes talking about the E46 version. I just hit the SRC button four times, back to ipod.

Last edited by Flybot; 12-12-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #898
J&T Distributing

^^^yeah, thats how I do it on an E46 when I get that error....on an E39 you can press "TEL" and then back, of just press source like you do, thats a lot easier than unplugging and plugging back in.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #899
debonair

My Ride: e46ci
So guys, I have already stuck my name on the list for a v5 dynavin but I am wondering whether it would be worth my while just upgrading my sound system at the same time or before? Or is it still straight forward to do it afterwards (this is preferable because I want to see what sound quality I get with dynavin)...

Thanks everyone! Can't wait together this all hooked up!
debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #900
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by debonair View Post
So guys, I have already stuck my name on the list for a v5 dynavin but I am wondering whether it would be worth my while just upgrading my sound system at the same time or before? Or is it still straight forward to do it afterwards (this is preferable because I want to see what sound quality I get with dynavin)...

Thanks everyone! Can't wait together this all hooked up!
I've got the Dynavin coming on Tuesday, Dec. 14, 2010. I'll be installing it either the same day or Wednesday. I've got the HK system. I was going to upgrade the speakers anyway but I am going to wait about a week so that I could get used to the sound before the new speakers. Then make a comparison after with the new speakers.
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote