E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #1041
newspec

My Ride: Mspec 325i 2001
I have pretty much kept out of the whole debate over this and that but guess I just wanted to say my 0.02 worth.

I have had mine now (V4) for about 4-5 months (from Jeff) and for me it was the single best upgrade I did to my car.

I don't own an Ipod or Iphone nor do I have any intention of getting one. All my music is kept on a 8 gig usb stick and every time i jump in the car it resumes right from where i was listening.

My phone a Sony Ericsson C150a pairs just fine every time I jump in and calling and receiving is a pleasure with both audio from the call and the built in mic working 100%

I run IGO Primo for the nav with the gurjon skin with 3d terain and buildings and it is just as good if not better than any other nav on the market and this one is built in and not hanging off the windscreen.

The backup camera I put in stops me running over the kids bikes or even our cat if its laying in the sun in the driveway.

Radio reception is just as good as the oem head unit was.

To be honest I think i prefer my V4 interface over the V5's but then I don't care about flashy ui's as long as it works which mine does just fine.

Our television signal here is analog so the unit picks it up just just fine and is handy if stuck sitting in a traffic Jam.

On a long haul I can also drop a DVD in if need be and the kids can just move their heads a little to see the picture. Well its enough to keep them quite for an hour or so anyway.

I installed it all myself and was pretty much just plug and play. The only thing I found that was not in the FAQ's was make sure you ground the unit itself, apart from that anything and everything you need is in the FAQ's.

So for me my V4 unit lives up to just what I want and I would rate it a good solid 8/10 so there

Last edited by newspec; 12-19-2010 at 07:40 PM.
newspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #1042
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post
I just tried playing music from my palm Pre and it's the same as on my iPad - Audio only comes from left speakers. I used the remote to get to the setup menu (only way to get there without exiting bluetooth) and I adjusted the speakers to the right and the audio immediately switched out of what was playing on bluetooth to radio

Both devices are A2DP profile compatible but it seems like it's only connecting to the Dynavin via the Headset profile

I don't get how you guys with iPhones don't have this problem.
I really don't know.

When you say setup menu, do you mean the screen with the three tabs, display, sound, and don't recall the third.

I don't think I have tried in bluetooth mode, but the volume button you press in and it will toggle to volume, fade, balance, etc. see if that works for you. not that it matters i guess right now with the problem.

really, so far I think you are the first to mention this issue. I don't know what everyone else is using. I swear I have no issues with my iphone and the sound.

if you are having a problem with both the ipad and your phone, I would think the problem is either with the unit or the cable. Are you using the same cable for both? I assume just with the headphone jack on both units? Have you tried a different cable?

What about CD and radio? Sound ok for both of them?
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #1043
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by newspec View Post
I have pretty much kept out of the whole debate over this and that but guess I just wanted to say my 0.02 worth.

I have had mine now (V4) for about 4-5 months (from Jeff) and for me it was the single best upgrade I did to my car.

I don't own an Ipod or Iphone nor do I have any intention of getting one. All my music is kept on a 8 gig usb stick and every time i jump in the car it resumes right from where i was listening.

My phone a Sony Ericsson C150a pairs just fine every time I jump in and calling and receiving is a pleasure with both audio from the call and the built in mic working 100%

I run IGO Primo for the nav with the gurjon skin with 3d terain and buildings and it is just as good if not better than any other nav on the market and this one is built in and not hanging off the windscreen.

The backup camera I put in stops me running over the kids bikes or even our cat if its laying in the sun in the driveway.

Radio reception is just as good as the oem head unit was.

To be honest I think i prefer my V4 interface over the V5's but then I don't care about flashy ui's as long as it works which mine does just fine.

Our television signal here is analog so the unit picks it up just just fine and is handy if stuck sitting in a traffic Jam.

On a long haul I can also drop a DVD in if need be and the kids can just move their heads a little to see the picture. Well its enough to keep them quite for an hour or so anyway.

I installed it all myself and was pretty much just plug and play. The only thing I found that was not in the FAQ's was make sure you ground the unit itself, apart from that anything and everything you need is in the FAQ's.

So for me my V4 unit lives up to just what I want and I would rate it a good solid 8/10 so there
Well said newspec, I'm pretty much in the same ballpark as you (apart from not having the contacts list show on the screen )
You know what you bought along with realistic expectations.
I actually think that right now the V4 is the pick of the bunch which has a couple of features that work well but were changed or removed from the V5 for whatever reason.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #1044
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
Quote:
I just tried playing music from my palm Pre and it's the same as on my iPad - Audio only comes from left speakers. I used the remote to get to the setup menu (only way to get there without exiting bluetooth) and I adjusted the speakers to the right and the audio immediately switched out of what was playing on bluetooth to radio

Both devices are A2DP profile compatible but it seems like it's only connecting to the Dynavin via the Headset profile

I don't get how you guys with iPhones don't have this problem.
Im using my Pre to use Pandora to stream music to the Dynavin and I get sound through all the speakers. Something isnt right with your setup.
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:18 AM   #1045
ketchup

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
Im using my Pre to use Pandora to stream music to the Dynavin and I get sound through all the speakers. Something isnt right with your setup.
That's exactly what I used, Pandora via Bluetooth and it only plays thru the driver side speakers

Checked the speaker balance and it's even. When I offset the balance to the right speakers the audio just lowers in volume from the drivers side and zero output from the right. Radio and everything else plays perfectly even.

As I said before it seems like it's stuck in the Bluetooth headset profile. Maybe my unit is missing the bluetooth A2DP profile?

TRBOVNM, yes the setup menu with system, display, and sound. The audio output problem is only when using Bluetooth.

Just to clarify, when you guys use bluetooth to call someone, is their voice output only thru the driver side speakers or is their voice heard thru all speakers (as if your were playing music/radio)?

Last edited by ketchup; 12-20-2010 at 02:25 AM.
ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #1046
TRBOVNM

ketchup,

I used bluetooth this morning on my way to work and you can push the volume knob and obtain the settings/adjustments that are in the menu setup. fader, balance, contrast, brightness, etc.

when talking to someone, their voice comes out through all the speakers, not just the front or driver side.

There is an english firmware update, if you haven't done that yet, maybe try that and see what happens. Talk to who you bought it from, if it was Jeff, he can talk to dynavin and maybe it is just a firmware/software update he can obtain and you can install to fix it. other than that, try a different cable.

on your ipad, have you tried using the ipod cable that came with the dynavin to play music through that?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #1047
ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBOVNM View Post
ketchup,

I used bluetooth this morning on my way to work and you can push the volume knob and obtain the settings/adjustments that are in the menu setup. fader, balance, contrast, brightness, etc.

when talking to someone, their voice comes out through all the speakers, not just the front or driver side.

There is an english firmware update, if you haven't done that yet, maybe try that and see what happens. Talk to who you bought it from, if it was Jeff, he can talk to dynavin and maybe it is just a firmware/software update he can obtain and you can install to fix it. other than that, try a different cable.

on your ipad, have you tried using the ipod cable that came with the dynavin to play music through that?
never tried the plug the iPad in, I'm sure it won't work in iPod mode, only aux.

Thanks for confirming.

So it is my unit, either lacking software or just plain malfunction somewhere.

The unit is a V5 and it came with steering controls for iPod but I also did the October (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=799537) update with the BMW splash screen. I'm not sure if that's the same as the English update you're speaking of.

iPod cable works, radio works, DVD works, nav works - they play thru all speakers. Only Bluetooth mode seems to play thru just the driver side speakers.

Last edited by ketchup; 12-20-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #1048
TRBOVNM

ok, so with the ipod cable that came with the unit, you can play an ipod and it is fine. I assume it would be the same with the ipad then.

definitely interesting. I would get with the dealer you bought it from and see what the next step is.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #1049
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
ketchup, that is not normal function, there is something wrong with the bluetooth, ill take care of it.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #1050
TRBOVNM

ketchup,

question for you, you mentioned a couple of times about the bluetooth profile. Are you going somewhere to set something or have options? I have never performed anything but paired the dynavin and iphone. then just play the iphone however I want and use the phone as needed.

I do find the built in mic touch and go. everyone says it is the best option, but I have people telling me they hear a lot of background noise. they can hear me ok, but a lot of background noise as well. I feel like I am yelling when I talk just to make sure they hear me. I should have plugged in the other microphone when I had the unit out yesterday.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #1051
lfhdez

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to lfhdez Send a message via Yahoo to lfhdez
I have a friend who is very picky about that and tells me the same thing... on either microphone I'm on. I also have the rest of the people who I talk to on the phone who tell me they can hear me just fine. Might be your friends. They might just be used to all Jawbones all the time

Transmitido en espaņol por SAP
lfhdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #1052
J&T Distributing

welcome to bluetooth guys! What you guys just described is par for the course with most bluetooth devices. I sell Pioneer, Parrot, Ego, JVC, and Motorola....Hit and miss with all of them, for some they work great, others not so much. I think it is all about the combination of the bluetooth device, the mic location, your phone, and your car and how all the variables interact.

That said, what I find works best on the Dynavin is to speak softly Yes I know it seems counter intuitive, but try it. TRBOVNM...I know for a fact when you have called me that you could speak quieter, I can hear you fine but when your voice gets a little louder it clips the mic. The background noise is audible but not loud at all, Your voice on the other hand is too loud. Try it and see....

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-20-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #1053
TRBOVNM

hahaha, thanks Jeff. Like I said, I always felt like I was yelling and thinking I needed to because of the other noise. I will try that next time. Nobody has mentioned I was too loud or anything, so thanks and I will let you know.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #1054
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBOVNM View Post
hahaha, thanks Jeff. Like I said, I always felt like I was yelling and thinking I needed to because of the other noise. I will try that next time. Nobody has mentioned I was too loud or anything, so thanks and I will let you know.
well what happens isnt that they would think you were too loud, when the mic clips it gets staticy and breaks up...makes it hard to understand and makes it sound like there is a lot of background noise. So you speak and they say "What?" and you talk louder.....and that makes it break up worse....and so on....

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-20-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #1055
ketchup

there are no menus for the Dynavin Bluetooth to select any profiles, I guess it's just included in the hardware/software and enabled automatically with pairing. I'm also unsure if Dynavin even has A2DP? not that it matters.

A2DP is pretty awesome in that it allows the receiving system to display things such as artist and song title. You can also skip tracks via steering controls. This of course depends on the car and Bluetooth setup. I look forward to seeing more of this kind of tech in the future.

Side notes, the built in mic works fine. Just talk in a normal tone. If anything, on the receiving end it may sound like they're on speaker phone.

lol Jeff, is the current steering wheel control setup for the Dynavin iPod mode all you?

Last edited by ketchup; 12-20-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #1056
J&T Distributing

Quote:

lol Jeff, is the current steering wheel control setup for the Dynavin iPod mode all you?
Yeah....I dont know if they already had the idea but while discussing the....limited.... ipod interface I said "wouldn't it be cool if..."

And then 2 weeks later they sent me the firmware to test out! Its not exactly as I envisioned it but they wanted to make it work across different platforms with different steering wheel buttons so that imposed some limitations (like the long press to select)

Not that anyone here will care but it will work awesome in the audi models when they get them switched over to the new platform....audis have scroll wheels on the steering wheel....I had an audi until last year, best steering wheel button setup I have ever seen in a car, hands down.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-20-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #1057
ketchup

ahh I see. I didn't know that but it makes sense to have it as a universal firmware - cost effective. And here I thought our BMW's steering wheel buttons were special
Old 12-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #1058
mrmaico

My Ride: 04 ZHP, 05 R1200 GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Codger View Post
...except this and the previous thread are now sooo long and I have read the lot but some of it starts to blur and even searching doesn't come up with the answer...like my USB ''no support file " issue... and yet I think I remember someone in one of the threads mentioning this...or the not being able to easily swap between folders on a USB device thing.

Because the unit is such a complex piece of kit with so many methods of doing various things and then after months someone finds an 'easter egg' that no one else knew about.

So if someone can tell me how to search better maybe I won't need to ask the question.....

I guess I'll search the Dynavin forum too....
Have you tried a Google search of the forums AC. For example here is how you would search for your "no support file" issue.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ef8cda26d1a6ec

Doesn't bring up much info in this case but it might help for other searches. Just change "dynavin no support file" to whatever search terms you want and it will search the whole website. I find it usually works better than the forums search feature. You can change the "forum.e46fanatics.com" part to any other forum you want to search. The first part..... "site:" is the key here.

HTH....Barry
Old 12-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #1059
nunnink23

My Ride: 05 zcp m3
Well I finally signed up, I've been chewing jeffs ear off because I want a member here but I figured its time I sign up lol! So ill direct my first question to everybody instead of poor jeff, do all of you have issues with the gps accuracy? I recently upgraded to primo, and even with this I noticed the gps is about 50-60 feet off. I used a garmin dash mount in harmony with this and its spot on with house numbers, where the dynavin is about 6 numbers off, and its about 60 feet off on navigation. Is there a way to calibrate the unit? Or should I try mounting my antenna somewhere besides the default location in jeffs diy?

On another note, anybody who wants to know step by step how to upgrade to primo, pm me! I'm horible with computers and I have to say I didn't think I was going to be able to figure it out but its extremely easy. Maybe I'm the only one who thought it would be difficult but it was super easy so if anybody has issues ill clear them up!
nunnink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #1060
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunnink23 View Post
Well I finally signed up, I've been chewing jeffs ear off because I want a member here but I figured its time I sign up lol! So ill direct my first question to everybody instead of poor jeff, do all of you have issues with the gps accuracy? I recently upgraded to primo, and even with this I noticed the gps is about 50-60 feet off. I used a garmin dash mount in harmony with this and its spot on with house numbers, where the dynavin is about 6 numbers off, and its about 60 feet off on navigation. Is there a way to calibrate the unit? Or should I try mounting my antenna somewhere besides the default location in jeffs diy?

On another note, anybody who wants to know step by step how to upgrade to primo, pm me! I'm horible with computers and I have to say I didn't think I was going to be able to figure it out but its extremely easy. Maybe I'm the only one who thought it would be difficult but it was super easy so if anybody has issues ill clear them up!
Hi and welcome to the forums.
I've experienced no problems with accuracy using Primo or iGO8, I have the antenna mounted on the rear parcel shelf.
Regarding nav discuusion, best to use the dedicated Primo thread (linked below) which has lots of info and downloads rather than clogging up this and other Dynavin threads, poor Jeff has enough to sift through I'm sure.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=797457

Last edited by Darkoz; 12-20-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote