E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 131 votes, 4.97 average.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #1121
BobSC

My Ride: 01 330Cic, 07 750Li
harticus,

Thanks very much! I think I follow how you did this and I appreciate the video as well. Especially since it is probably snowing like crazy up your way. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I liked the illuminated door sills as well!

2007 750Li (Sold)
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
2012 X3
2012 750Li
BobSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #1122
Artful Codger

My Ride: 2002 330ci Cabriolet
Without wanting to rehash what has already been said about 'expectations and regrets' I've only had the bimmer for a couple of months replacing a work car they wanted me to pay an exhorbitant amount to use...go figure...anyway my 330ci had the Mk3 nav and HK sound inc the cassette behind the screen. It didn't have a map CD and the 6 stack CD changer in the boot didn't play MP3s...and the TV was analogue.

So my criteria was a nav system that worked and a music system that played MP3s....I got a whole lot more with the Dynavin including a very knowledgeable forum...and Jeff.. oh and I bought the digital TV tuner too...so I'm very happy and still learning all the tricks.

The only thing I'd like now is a new boot liner as the current one now has two holes in it where the nav and CD changer used to reside...does anyone know if there is anything special about the liner in a convertible or will one out of a coupe fit, I must become friends with the local BMW wrecker...

edit...oh I forgot..happy holidays everyone...
Artful Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:23 AM   #1123
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Codger View Post
The only thing I'd like now is a new boot liner as the current one now has two holes in it where the nav and CD changer used to reside...does anyone know if there is anything special about the liner in a convertible or will one out of a coupe fit, I must become friends with the local BMW wrecker.....
There is a trunk liner for the non-navi / stereo rack vehicles.

Here ya go . . . .http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...43&hg=51&fg=65

No. 3 is what you want. There are two different models. One for the rear radio rack and one for vehicles without the rear rack.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC

Last edited by turbo_f22_pilot; 12-27-2010 at 01:29 AM.
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #1124
mrmaico

My Ride: 04 ZHP, 05 R1200 GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Codger View Post

The only thing I'd like now is a new boot liner as the current one now has two holes in it where the nav and CD changer used to reside...does anyone know if there is anything special about the liner in a convertible or will one out of a coupe fit, I must become friends with the local BMW wrecker...

edit...oh I forgot..happy holidays everyone...
It looks like there is a different one for the cabrio. I believe you want #1 here, the one ending in 4081. #3 is a rivet.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...03&hg=51&fg=65
Old 12-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #1125
Artful Codger

My Ride: 2002 330ci Cabriolet
Thanks guys that's fantastic, at least I know I don't have to just put up with having one with holes in it.
Artful Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #1126
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Jeff are there ay firmware updates coming to address the non-functionality of bluetooth with NAV, and the lack of the back button in the iPod interface? I was all behind this but now I'm a bit skeptical based on what people are saying.

Also is there any quick/alphabetical search on the iPod interface? Or if you hold the down but will it skip by percentage? If it goes artist one by one I think I have too many artists for that to be practical.

Last edited by Grande D; 12-28-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #1127
juslookin

My Ride: 05 330ci ZHP
Placed my order last night
juslookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #1128
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Jeff are there ay firmware updates coming to address the non-functionality of bluetooth with NAV, and the lack of the back button in the iPod interface? I was all behind this but now I'm a bit skeptical based on what people are saying.

Also is there any quick/alphabetical search on the iPod interface? Or if you hold the down but will it skip by percentage? If it goes artist one by one I think I have too many artists for that to be practical.
The bluetooth nav interaction is an annoyance but not a deal breaker in my mind....If I am using my nav I am typically on a trip of some sort and have my iphone plugged in anyway to keep it charged. Remember, bluetooth works while using the nav, it is the bluetooth audio streaming that doesnt.... Using the remote control to work the ipod solves both of the issues you bring up, there is a back button (root) and a page forward/back for quickly jumping ahead.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #1129
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
..... there is a back button (root) and a page forward/back for quickly jumping ahead.
Jeff,
What is the Page fwd/back button on a V5? That would save me a lot of time. I feel like Im ignoring all music on my ipod that starts with a letter past K.
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #1130
J&T Distributing

left and right directional buttons < > on the remote.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #1131
Grande D

Quote:
The bluetooth nav interaction is an annoyance but not a deal breaker in my mind....If I am using my nav I am typically on a trip of some sort and have my iphone plugged in anyway to keep it charged. Remember, bluetooth works while using the nav, it is the bluetooth audio streaming that doesnt.... Using the remote control to work the ipod solves both of the issues you bring up, there is a back button (root) and a page forward/back for quickly jumping ahead.
Okay I got it with the bluetooth. Are there plans to add a back and quick scroll button in future firmware to the unit itself?

One random question,not Dynavin related. Like you, I always plug my phone in. Why has the industry decided against sending call data though the dock cable? I'd prefer to keep my bluetooth off and have the phone information go through the cable. I know this isn't a Dynavin issue; I just wondered if you as an installer have any insight.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #1132
das9125

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Is there supposed to be a newer version of the Dynavin coming out soon? or is the V5 it for now? thanks
+1
I just ordered mine, I hope V6 does not come out next week!

2006 ZCP M3 SMG, Silver Grey - Imola Red
das9125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #1133
J&T Distributing

If i had to guess I would say it is because bluetooth has been adopted as a "universal" language for connectivity while all of the phone companies are still messing with proprietary plugs and connectivity software. If they all had the same plug what you suggest would probably be a reality but that is not the direction things have gone.....

Its kind of ironic that a wireless connectivity protocol has been adopted when most of our smartphones now days need to stay plugged in much of the time anyway because of battery life issues!

Old 12-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #1134
Grande D

Quote:
If i had to guess I would say it is because bluetooth has been adopted as a "universal" language for connectivity while all of the phone companies are still messing with proprietary plugs and connectivity software. If they all had the same plug what you suggest would probably be a reality but that is not the direction things have gone.....

Its kind of ironic that a wireless connectivity protocol has been adopted when most of our smartphones now days need to stay plugged in much of the time anyway because of battery life issues!
Thanks for the answer. Buttt will Dynavin be adding a back button and a quick search in firmware? Also, can you click on the on screen menu? So can you click on playlist directly, or do you have to use the arrows and the ok button?

I'm now debating between this and the Avic Z120BT.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:33 AM   #1135
DANe46

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i E46
Anyone have the exact dimensions of the screen... I am trying to cut my LCD anti-glare protective film.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:12 AM   #1136
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANe46 View Post
Anyone have the exact dimensions of the screen... I am trying to cut my LCD anti-glare protective film.
The sheet should measure 154mm x 84mm but you don't need it with the V5 Dynavin as the screen already has a matte finish.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #1137
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
Quote:
left and right directional buttons < > on the remote.
Thanks. I was hoping the left and right hard buttons or a long press on the up/down would work.
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #1138
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Thanks for the answer. Buttt will Dynavin be adding a back button and a quick search in firmware? Also, can you click on the on screen menu? So can you click on playlist directly, or do you have to use the arrows and the ok button?

I'm now debating between this and the Avic Z120BT.
You can touch the onscreen buttons but they are kind of small....but the main issue is not back button and no page forward, these are only available in the "pop up" menu or on the remote, it all works, it just takes a couple more keystokes than i would like. I dont know if this is something that can be changed or if it is built in to the hardware...

Old 12-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #1139
DANe46

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
The sheet should measure 154mm x 84mm but you don't need it with the V5 Dynavin as the screen already has a matte finish.
Just looking to add a layer of scratch protection... from fingernails, keys, zippers or anything that may brush across the screen
Old 12-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #1140
thejames

My Ride: e46 330ci Coupe Auto
Zippers... WTF do you do in your car?!

Now I'm back to work - and the car's no longer snowed in! - I've had the chance to actually play with the unit properly.

-Primo seems the best nav software over all. It's a bit clumsy, but best for functionality and speed.
-iGO has a nicer feel to it but is lacking in some basic stuff.
-Navigon looks fantastic... but is a bit laggy.
-Tomtom is buggy.
-Yet to play with nDrive.

Think Primo's gonna just take some getting used to is all. Is there any way of reducing the amount of alerts the Nav makes? I don't need it to tell me nearly 2 miles in advance what to do

Using the USB to play movies/music isn't great.... Takes ages to initialize, and then autoruns! Is there anyway to stop it from autorunning?

If you haven't already, try whacking some music on the microSD. It sounds brilliant and there's absolutely no lag when setting it up. The only issue is that it doesn't hold your position when you switch the ignition off. I've found that the mp3 player included with the Dynavin (Low rider>Entertainment>Music) is the best and most robust of all the options.

Sound-wise IMO it pee's all over the stock HU. I had OEM Nav + HK FWIW.

Bluetooth works pretty well. Shame about the phonebook, but it's no biggy. Would be nice if it could be sorted in a firmware patch mind. My bluetooth streaming is very temperamental but I'm 99% sure that's my phone. I'm due an upgrade in a few months so hopefully that'll sort it.

Has anyone found a way to switch the audio off on the DVD side? (Other than just flicking it on to Aux)

DVD is brilliant. Have only tried one so far (8 mile) and it seems to default to subtitles... not sure if this is the player or the disc though??

Over all though, very pleased And I can't rate Jeff highly enough

If you fancy running more than one Nav program - or just generally want to open up the windows side - I'd strongly recommend Petrut's patch too.
thejames is offline   Reply With Quote