E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #1221
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet4 View Post
Thanks I got it to work but its glitchy as hell. It makes calls on it's own and keeps mutng and unmuting itself.

I eventually unpaired it but the muting continued in ipod mode. I made sure the nav was exited incase that was causing the muting, and even took out the dcs disc. Turning off and restarting didn't help.

Finally restarted the car and now its fine again.

Anybody else experience the random bluetooth dialing or random muting?
sounds to me like the same issue as what you noted earlier with the DVD.....something is putting pressure on the screen. Since you said that you are not using a screen protector I would bet there is a little shaving of plastic or some other kind of debris stuck between the screen and the bezel Look all the way around the edge of the screen....maybe even slide something very thin like a business card all the way around the edge of the screen, in the gap between the screen and the bezel, see if you run into something in there....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #1222
Avet4

My Ride: 2004 330i 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
sounds to me like the same issue as what you noted earlier with the DVD.....something is putting pressure on the screen. Since you said that you are not using a screen protector I would bet there is a little shaving of plastic or some other kind of debris stuck between the screen and the bezel Look all the way around the edge of the screen....maybe even slide something very thin like a business card all the way around the edge of the screen, in the gap between the screen and the bezel, see if you run into something in there....
Ill try that. Is it possible that pressure from behind the unit could cause it? Maybe from wires pushing into it? Also it stopped after I restarted the car.
Avet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #1223
J&T Distributing

well I suppose if there were enough pressure from the back.....and you had the mounting screws cranked down it could tweak things enough to put pressure on the screen....but thats a stretch....

Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #1224
TOURING

My Ride: M3 Vert/M5/M3 coupe
Im having hiss/bleed thru if i have the filters installed or not. it sounds the same. is there something im missing?

i only here this thru the ipod everything else is perfect. thanks in advance
Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #1225
Tho///a5

My Ride: 2k M5
I used rcas and I hear that as well..
Tho///a5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #1226
TOURING

cool. as sonn as the music from the pod comes on its strait. but while its loading i can actually hear the ipod disk spin..... every other function is perfect
Old 01-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #1227
Tho///a5

My Ride: 2k M5
Ya that's the hard drive loading up. I was having timeout errors and I just realised it was because my ipod was locked...
Tho///a5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #1228
95seriesbmw

My Ride: BMW X5, BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOURING View Post
cool. as sonn as the music from the pod comes on its strait. but while its loading i can actually hear the ipod disk spin..... every other function is perfect
Mine does this too. Quality seems terrible given the audible noise using IPOD. The noise never stops by the way it just becomes harder to notice once the music is playing. listen to some songs with pauses in them and you will see. Not sure but it seems that everyone is not experiencing this noise with ipod, or maybe they are just less particular IDK. Anyone got a noise free ipod connection?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #1229
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tho///a5 View Post
seriously no ipod resume is bullshit! Anytime u get a phone call or turn off the car it cuts.... talk about design flaw. How many of u have gotten time out errors? I've been getting those back to back lately. Why god?
no time out errors, but i think you found your problem with that.

I agree with the resume, but I opted not to wait. Dynavin has been known to listen to customers and make changes, but that does take time. IMO, I don't like the ipod interface at all and Jeff mentions it is rough around the edges in his review on the first page.

My recommendation to everyone, use the aux in with an A/V cable and be done with it. Then you control your ipod/iphone with itself. jailbroke my phone and see the album art on-screen. I like it 100% more.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #1230
Jall

My Ride: 328Ci
I'm pulling my hair out here, guys.
Every time I try to use the iPod interface with my sixth gen. classic, it cuts out about 30 seconds to 2 minutes into the song. The iPod screen cuts back to the main menu and loses the connected screen. The playing stops and the track information on screen freezes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've also been plagued with the time out[351] errors but that seems to be mostly fixed after restoring the iPod.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #1231
Avet4

My Ride: 2004 330i 6spd
Regarding the TIMEOUT error on the ipod, in my case this coincides with the ipods battery becoming fully drained, and then locking. It's the second time it's drained the ipod. This never happened EVER with my old Alpine single din. It charged constantly.

I don't mean to rag on the Dynavin, because many people obviously love it, BUT I will right now say that if anybody is interested I will sell them my unit and continue my search for one that fits my needs. I would ask for no less than $600 plus shipping considering it's brandnew. It is prewired so the harness is just plug and play. It's really the ipod issue that's making this a deal breaker for me. The no resume and the battery draining. Hopefully in the future there is a significant firmware update that resolves this. For the time being, my offer stands.
Avet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #1232
juslookin

My Ride: 05 330ci ZHP
So happy I don't have an ipod seems like that's what a lot of people are having troubles with.
juslookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #1233
J&T Distributing

cant please them all......

Even though it is going to look like it....this is not aimed at you Avet4 as I am writing the following in response to a trend I have seen....

EVERYBODY WHO IS CONSIDERING A DYNAVIN MUST READ THE FIRSST TWO LINKS IN MY SIGNATURE.

I have heard A LOT of complaints lately about certain aspects of the dynavins operation that I pointed out months ago in my dynavin info write up and later in the FAQ. Many of these subjects have been absolutely beat to death on these forums but I still am getting emails from people complaining about things that I POINTED OUT a long time ago and continue to discuss on a daily basis.

I think that the dynavin has reached beyond its intial market of early adopters and technically minded users and its begining to show..... so PLEASE for your sake (and mine ) Do your homework and read the info I have put out there so you can make a good decision about purchasing a dynavin.

I know somebody will reply that they dont want to read 60+ pages.....of course Im not asking that, Im asking that everyone read the first post of this thread, and the first post of the FAQ. That will tell you 99% of the known info, both good and bad, before you part with your cash.

Thanks In Advance!

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-11-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #1234
toddkageals

My Ride: 2008 335i sport/prem
Jeff,

I think you hit it on the head. The Dynavin is now getting into the mainstream market where people simply expect a product that works well every time. Just like with computers, car PCs, etc. the early adopters put up with the trade offs and worked on their devices to try to resolve issues related to development. Once the products reached deeper into the market, less technically minded folks who just want a product that works well all the time begin to start buying. Personally, I have the tech. skills but not the time and so I am a little disappointed my V5. I think that lots of people thought that all these little issues would be wooed out by now (me included). Everything considered (cutting up your car, appearance, features, cost, install difficulty, out of date OEM system), the Dynavin is still the best option. Having said that, I am still a little disappointed with my V5. I would not trade back for my old OEM NAV. System though so........my wish is for a major rework of the firmware to provide a better interface (everything except the NAV. which is awesome now that I have new maps and primo) and to work out all the little bugs that are disappointing so many users.
toddkageals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #1235
toddkageals

My Ride: 2008 335i sport/prem
On a separate note....can anyone tell me why I can't use the touchscreen to select presets in radio mode. I could swear it worked when I first installed it. I also saw a video of someone touching the screen and selecting presets that way. I have to use the knob, touching the screen does nothing. That area of the screen does work in other menus so I don't think it's hardware related.
toddkageals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #1236
Handsome Kev

My Ride: 328
Does having a rear windshield help with the glare?
Handsome Kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #1237
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddkageals View Post
Jeff,

I think you hit it on the head. The Dynavin is now getting into the mainstream market where people simply expect a product that works well every time. Just like with computers, car PCs, etc. the early adopters put up with the trade offs and worked on their devices to try to resolve issues related to development. Once the products reached deeper into the market, less technically minded folks who just want a product that works well all the time begin to start buying. Personally, I have the tech. skills but not the time and so I am a little disappointed my V5. I think that lots of people thought that all these little issues would be wooed out by now (me included). Everything considered (cutting up your car, appearance, features, cost, install difficulty, out of date OEM system), the Dynavin is still the best option. Having said that, I am still a little disappointed with my V5. I would not trade back for my old OEM NAV. System though so........my wish is for a major rework of the firmware to provide a better interface (everything except the NAV. which is awesome now that I have new maps and primo) and to work out all the little bugs that are disappointing so many users.

we also live in a time where we are starting to take for granted the absolutely amazing handheld devices like the iphones and android phones, ipads, tablets,etc... The public has come to expect this kind of interface but that frankly just isnt reality for most devices, those products are at the cutting edge of tech and are developed by companies with BILLION dollar budgets....and as we have seen they STILL have plenty of bugs, quirks, issues, and non functionalities (iphone 4 phone problems anyone? Windows in general?)

Im a dealer for some other larger stereo brands as well like pioneer and JVC, although their budgets are hundreds?...thousands? of times larger than dynavin they STILL have many issues with both hardware and software that people complain about, (how about that startup time AVIC users!)

The dynavin is a niche product made by a small niche company and they are doing the best they can with what they have, they have shown a great willingness to improve the product and continue to do so. It is my opinion that the dynavin gets the job done and is a vast improvement over the decade old stock nav. Once I found the useage that worked best for me and fully understood its limitations I was and continue to be completely satisfied. For most of us that is enough. I get the impression from some that they expected the dynavin to be all things to all people and do it all seamlessly. That is not possible or realistic, nor is it what have said all along.

I wrote a post awhile back where I noted a quote I heard once....."unrealistic expectations are premeditated resentments" I think it is quite appropriate here....It is very easy to tell who read these posts and who didnt by the questions and comments they post here, those who did their homework had realistic expectations and are happy and satisfied, those who didnt are not.....

Ill get off my soapbox now.....

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-11-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #1238
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddkageals View Post
On a separate note....can anyone tell me why I can't use the touchscreen to select presets in radio mode. I could swear it worked when I first installed it. I also saw a video of someone touching the screen and selecting presets that way. I have to use the knob, touching the screen does nothing. That area of the screen does work in other menus so I don't think it's hardware related.

Thats weird......sounds like your button mapping is screwed up. Try reinstalling the firmware as it will reset the touchscreen button mapping.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #1239
TOURING

what format are you guys running for movie files from the front usb port on the unit? i tried using a 2 gig usb drive on the from with a avi movie and it said it did not support the file... thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #1240
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Oh dear, a little bit of reading would save a whole lot of grief but of course reading is just too damn hard.
Why bother, no-one will read this anyway

Last edited by Darkoz; 01-11-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote