E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.97 average.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #1241
TOURING

My Ride: M3 Vert/M5/M3 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Oh dear, a little bit of reading would save a whole lot of grief but of course reading is just too damn hard.
Why bother, no-one will read this anyway
Thanks for you help so far but if anyone can help me i would appreciate it. thank you
Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #1242
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Oh dear, a little bit of reading would save a whole lot of grief but of course reading is just too damn hard.
Why bother, no-one will read this anyway
I might have to hire you

you can do my dirty work.....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #1243
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
I might have to hire you
I think we'd make a great team, ying and yang but there isn't enough money to put up with what I've seen and read here
mmmmm dirty work
god I love my sig

Last edited by Darkoz; 01-11-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #1244
J&T Distributing

indeed.....

Old 01-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #1245
toddkageals

My Ride: 2008 335i sport/prem
Well.....a users manual that actually tells you how to use the product might have prevented a lot of these questions.....seriously.
toddkageals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #1246
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddkageals View Post
Well.....a users manual that actually tells you how to use the product might have prevented a lot of these questions.....seriously.
More than likely it wouldn't, since that involves reading
Actually, what they should've done is included a freeze dried midget, just add water and out pops this little midget technician that speaks perfect english and installs it for you

Last edited by Darkoz; 01-11-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #1247
toddkageals

My Ride: 2008 335i sport/prem
True....but you gotta admit......the "Manual" included with the Dynavin is minimal at best and really it's closer to non-existent.
toddkageals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #1248
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
Jeff,

Honestly, and I am not fibbing here...lol, my Avic d3 is amazing in my cobra. I love it and have NEVER had a problem with it. Only thing I don't like is you have to use a CD for the navigation, but it will save the trip or most of it depending on how long it is if I eject it to put a movie in or something. I was at the point like others with the dynavin at first, I would gladly cut the duct in the bmw to put in another d3 if they still made them. Everything about the interface I love with it.

However, I have learned since I purchased the dynavin, like jeff mentioned, it's limitations and how to operate it to my liking. So now it isn't as bad. I still think they need to take a serious look at the firmware and make some changes, but until then, I will enjoy what I have and how I use it.

And I honestly have no issues with my iphone. I CAN'T STRESS IT ENOUGH, GET THE A/V CABLE AND RUN IT IN AUX IN. This solved all my headaches with no resume, shuffle, etc. I have posted this numerous times. Honestly, I think Jeff should just start including this cable instead of the standard ipod cable until Dynavin decides they want to please the customers with a better ipod interface.

Only major issue I don't like is that when you are on the phone, if you are using NAV, it will not pop anything up on the screen for your next turn or anything. I missed a couple exits on my recent trip over the holidays because of this and driving 14hrs with a cold and having that happen or finding out that it doesn't give you directions while on the phone, really pissed me off. But now I know, so I will deal with it in the future and know I need to either not be on the phone or know the next couple of turns before making a call.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #1249
J&T Distributing

Im not saying the pioneers are not good because they are! and your D3 was one of the best of them...BUT can you imagine trying to get people now days to run the nav off the CD....I know you are familiar with it but for alot of people it was a deal killer....the Z1 had an issue that completely randomly killed the unit, the fix required you go through a complex process involving burning and loading software from a DVD to revive it....not cool, customers didnt appreciate when it would die in the middle of a thousand mile trip...not to mention dead hard drives...uugghh...and the F series have been plauged by ridiculously long boot times, Anyway, as im sure you will agree, the point is that no unit is going to be perfect for everyone.....including the big guys....

And as you said......if you are a heavy ipod playlist user or use shuffle a lot, just get the aux in cable and bypass the dynavin ipod interface, you will be happier that way...

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-11-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #1250
TRBOVNM

Exactly Jeff. Find out what works and go with it. There are multiple ways to do the same thing with the unit. Find the way you like and roll with it.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #1251
J&T Distributing

yeah, thats part of the reason that I think a lot of people get confused by the dynavin.....it might be TOO flexible, to many ways to do too many things....it causes confusion.

For me after the newness wore off I found myself just using the bluetooth streaming from my iphone in the morning for podcasts or sirius iphone app on the way to work, and the ipod to listen to an album on the way home. Thats it, thats what I use and it works great for me. You use the aux in ipod connection and it works for you,

I know when a person first gets the unit they try to use everything at once, get overwhelmed, and get frustrated. Slow down and figure out what features you will use, sort out how to use them and just enjoy the thing!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #1252
Avet4

My Ride: 2004 330i 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
yeah, thats part of the reason that I think a lot of people get confused by the dynavin.....it might be TOO flexible, to many ways to do too many things....it causes confusion.

For me after the newness wore off I found myself just using the bluetooth streaming from my iphone in the morning for podcasts or sirius iphone app on the way to work, and the ipod to listen to an album on the way home. Thats it, thats what I use and it works great for me. You use the aux in ipod connection and it works for you,

I know when a person first gets the unit they try to use everything at once, get overwhelmed, and get frustrated. Slow down and figure out what features you will use, sort out how to use them and just enjoy the thing!
hey Jeff, I've keyword searched this thread but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I'm considering getting the ipod AV-aux cable, but will this also charge the ipod? also which 3 wires would I plug into... Aux-L, Aux-R, and AV-In?
Avet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #1253
J&T Distributing

The one i sell (the is76) has charging wires that need to be spliced into the power and ground wires on the dynavin harness if you want it to charge. You have the rca connections correct.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #1254
Darkoz

For all the recent whingers out there, you need to step back and go back to the beginning of this Dynavin craze and remember why it appealled to so many.
The two biggest selling points of the Dynavin, then and now, are it's OEM design and plug & play connectivity and as of now there is still nothing that offers this at any price point.
As Jeff and others have mentioned, this thing has 20 ways to skin a cat, it is very customisable and has many different options to achieve the same result, perhaps too many for those linear thinkers out there.
And don't forget the list of features it has, all for around 600 bucks which is bloody good value for money.........

Jeff's service and knowledge
OEM design
Plug & Play
Satellie Navigation (and very customisable to suit your taste)
Wi-Fi internet
USB entertainment
DVD music and movies
CD music
SD card entertainment, both music and video
Digital TV (at least for the rest of the civilised world )
iPod connectivity (yes listen to others and know all your options)
AUX input
Bluetooth
Rear View Camera
And probably more that I haven't even seen yet
So tell me what else you can buy for 600 or so bucks that offers all that?

From the recent questions and posts here it's obvious that many haven't done their research before jumping in and complaining about what is in most part not an issue with the product but rather a lack of understanding of how the product works.
Now stop your bloody whinging and get to know the unit, play around with all the settings, read the FAQ thread and this thread, even read the supplied Engrish manual and use some initiative and common sense before you decide to have a dummy spit.
Oh, and don't start a post with "I've searched but....." because we know you haven't.

Did i say I love my sig?? (it's the only reason I post)

Last edited by Darkoz; 01-12-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:32 AM   #1255
TRBOVNM

I am on record for appreciating your sig darkoz. Just tell her to take off the bra next time.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #1256
TOURING

My Ride: M3 Vert/M5/M3 coupe
I didnt notice how loud the unit was once the fan came on!!!! Is everyone else's unit loud? i thought my climate control was going crazy.

Also, when im in ipod mode and get a phone call i can answer with no problem. The only problem is it does not resume the ipod when i hang up. is this normal.

Can someone please tell me what video format will work with the front usb port. Thank you in advance

On a side note- the user manuals suck.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #1257
TheBloke

My Ride: 2001 M3 E46
USB HDD / Hard Drive with DVN-E46?

I have a recent DVN-E46 V5, with WinCE 6 which I'm shortly going to be patching with pertrut's tool.

Has anyone tried using a USB HDD, e.g. the WD Passport (bus-powered) with either the "DVD/USB" or WinCE "GPS/USB" ports?

I read earlier in this thread that someone was going to investigate it, but don't see any update on that.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the WinCE side is limited by needing the FAT32 filesystem - I have done some reading and I see that the theoretical limit of that filesystem is about 8TB, however Windows won't format a partition larger than 32GB with FAT32. But it does say that Windows XP and 2000 will mount a partition larger than that, if one is found.

So not sure if that means WinCE will also be able to mount a >32GB FAT32 external HDD, if one was available - I'm thinking I might be able to use Linux to format an external HDD (of say 250GB) with FAT32 and try that.

Now I did note in the Dyavin's specs that it supports SD cards of up to 64GB - that means the non-Windows part of the unit must be able to read exFat which is necessary on 64GB cards. So maybe a HDD could be formatted with exFat too? But then that would require using the disgusting media interface on the non-Windows side of the unit, with a 2 folder-depth limit, which I am not sure is bearable

If anyone has any experience using external USB HDDs with either side of the unit, I'd be most grateful for some info - otherwise I will buy a cheap 250GB WD Passport USB bus-powered device and give it a go next week.

TIA
TheBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #1258
95seriesbmw

My Ride: BMW X5, BMW M3
plug and play did not work for me but i did no reformating and i had other stuff on the drive as well so I cant rule it out just yet. I was using a WD 320gb. I cant imagine the loading time on 100gb of music, you would be at your destination before it started playing.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #1259
TheBloke

My Ride: 2001 M3 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95seriesbmw View Post
plug and play did not work for me but i did no reformating and i had other stuff on the drive as well so I cant rule it out just yet. I was using a WD 320gb.
OK thanks for the update. I'll get a 250GB WD and try myself and let you know if I get anywhere.

Quote:
I cant imagine the loading time on 100gb of music, you would be at your destination before it started playing.
Yes you're right, I think it would be a total non-starter using the non-Windows side of the unit. The interface is horrible, and yeah it'd probably take forever to load the songs.

But using it with the WinCE side could work - there we can use a choice of media players (either using petrut's patch with e.g. Nitrogen, and/or using WolfNCU) and I'm pretty sure they will be able to store library information and not keep scanning every time.

Incidentally, the music player in iGo Primo also suffers the 'scan every time' problem, annoyingly - otherwise it's not a bad player, scans the SD card, allows searching by Artist and Album, and of course works perfectly with the SatNav, quietening when appropriate etc. But I tried it with 12GB of music on an SD card, and every time I had to wait a minute for it to re-scan the music, which gets annoying fast.

So I'm hoping that Nitrogen, or WolfNCU, or one of the other players available for WinCE will work better and could handle hundreds of gigs on a HDD.
TheBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #1260
dcr33313

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Does the Dynavin connect to the factory HK subwoofers through the harness? My harness is connected, but no sound is coming from any of my left speakers or the subs. Are there any additional parts that need to be used for this setup. I haven't been able to find an answer to this problem. :/
dcr33313 is offline   Reply With Quote