E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #121
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
ipod navigation via the steering wheel controls.....fixes what I consider to be the V5's main weak point.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:27 AM   #122
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Thats awesome Jeff!
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:34 AM   #123
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Just thought I'd share this with others who may have been doing the same.
Up until recently I've always played my music through the USB interface so tonight I thought I'd load all my music onto the SD card and use the entertainment part of the navigation and man what a difference in sound! it's like night and day, 100% better.
To compare the difference, I played a song through the USB at volume level 30 then listened to the same song through the SD card I had to turn it down to level 22, plus it produces more bass and is clearer.
So if you haven't used the SD card for music yet, do it, you'll be amazed at the difference.
For anyone who may know, why would music be so much better on the SD card?

Last edited by Darkoz; 09-30-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:39 AM   #124
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
Jeff, sorry about the thread jack earlier.

That is interesting Darkoz. I would think both forms of media would be similar in quality. Only difference I see is one you are passing through the USB cable and the other is a more direct source from the card to the unit? aside from that, maybe some guru can answer it. Is there a difference between the iphone and the SD card? I planned on just using my iphone, but I will have an extra CD card, so I wouldn't mind just loading it up with music as well.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #125
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBOVNM View Post
Jeff, sorry about the thread jack earlier.

That is interesting Darkoz. I would think both forms of media would be similar in quality. Only difference I see is one you are passing through the USB cable and the other is a more direct source from the card to the unit? aside from that, maybe some guru can answer it. Is there a difference between the iphone and the SD card? I planned on just using my iphone, but I will have an extra CD card, so I wouldn't mind just loading it up with music as well.
Give it a shot and you'll hear the difference, I just loaded my music onto the same SD card that I have the navigation on.
Maybe the type of music player that is used is better?

Last edited by Darkoz; 09-30-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #126
J&T Distributing

Thats interesting....ive used some of the windows based players but didnt notice a difference but i wasnt looking for one either....

I changed the video I posted earlier to this one.....this one is a little more clear as to what is going on....I think????

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 09-30-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #127
BrutaL

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Just thought I'd share this with others who may have been doing the same.
Up until recently I've always played my music through the USB interface so tonight I thought I'd load all my music onto the SD card and use the entertainment part of the navigation and man what a difference in sound! it's like night and day, 100% better.
For anyone who may know, why would music be so much better on the SD card?
When I 'discovered' the wallpaper trick (not really a trick hehe), I thought of giving the musc and video on sdcard a try too. But then the size limitation of sdcards hit me so I dropped that thought. And it crossed my mind that someone might give it a try and your name popped inside my head dunno why. Im thankful you gave that a try and reported your findings here. Amma give that a try and report back.

Are you gonna try the video on sd card too? Who knows it might render in 3D nyah nyah

Last edited by BrutaL; 09-30-2010 at 02:12 PM.
BrutaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #128
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutaL View Post
When I 'discovered' the wallpaper trick (not really a trick hehe), I thought of giving the musc and video on sdcard a try too. But then the size limitation of sdcards hit me so I dropped that thought. And it crossed my mind that someone might give it a try and your name popped inside my head dunno why. Im thankful you gave that a try and reported your findings here. Amma give that a try and report back.

Are you gonna try the video on sd card too? Who knows it might render in 3D nyah nyah
Haha you never know, might be a hologram
What did you mean about the SD card size limitation? it supports up to 64GB which would be more than enough for videos, music and navigation
Old 09-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #129
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
he may mean the one that came with the unit. I just picked up an 8gig and I will use the 2 gig for music. I don't have a lot of music, so that should be enough.

BTW, someone got a tracking number today for their unit. hehehe. now the wait for the week of shipping
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #130
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Curious on the Micro SD card....there are a few out there. Looking for a 32GB one now. Will a 32GB TF Memory Card 32G Micro SD SDHC MicroSDHC work? Some of that ads state it may not work with some devices. I have not found any specifics on the exact types of Micro SD cars that will work with the Dynavin. There are at least 2 different types. The HCTF I believe is a different compression. Can someone clarify?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #131
lfhdez

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to lfhdez Send a message via Yahoo to lfhdez
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
Thats interesting....ive used some of the windows based players but didnt notice a difference but i wasnt looking for one either....

I changed the video I posted earlier to this one.....this one is a little more clear as to what is going on....I think????

Whoohoo!! more excited now about the ipod control and V5 as a whole. I can't wait. BTW... good choice of music there, Jeff.

Transmitido en espaņol por SAP
lfhdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #132
330iZHPftw

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP, SV650
man I assumed that a 64 GB SD card would be cheap not $200! -- anybody have any good sources for SD cards?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #133
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iZHPftw View Post
man I assumed that a 64 GB SD card would be cheap not $200! -- anybody have any good sources for SD cards?
I don't think you'd need a 64GB, an 8 or 16Gb card would be more than enough
Old 09-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #134
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBOVNM View Post

BTW, someone got a tracking number today for their unit. hehehe. now the wait for the week of shipping
yeah.....glad they came in finally....customs told me 24 hours and that turned into 4 days....

but they are shipping now, BUSY DAY! thumbsup:

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 09-30-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #135
J&T Distributing

Quote:
I don't think you'd need a 64GB, an 8 or 16Gb card would be more than enough
haha! here you are again reccommending too small cards! My itunes library is almost 50GB! Dont you know us Americans are conspicuous consumers!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #136
Darkoz

Quote:
haha! here you are again reccommending too small cards! My itunes library is almost 50GB! Dont you know us Americans are conspicuous consumers!
50GB just for music!?.........You yanks must listen to music like you eat, no wonder you're as big as houses and ears the size of boat sails!

Last edited by Darkoz; 09-30-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #137
immigrant

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to immigrant
Sd cards come in classes 1, 2, 3 etc.. do some research as a fast class card might benefit you more than a large size one. The difference can be huge in loading time. I had a slow sd on my htc and the video recording kept missing frames with a fast one is great.
Relevant article:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10246593-1.html

Last edited by immigrant; 09-30-2010 at 08:46 PM.
immigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #138
J&T Distributing

Quote:
50GB just for music!?.........You yanks must listen to music like you eat, no wonder you're as big as houses and ears the size of boat sails!
mmmmmm

actually since Im a bit of an audiophile my library is ripped at higher bit rates than standard....takes up at least twice as much space....but its about 450 albums.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 09-30-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #139
Darkoz

Quote:
mmmmmm

actually since Im a bit of an audiophile my library is ripped at higher bit rates than standard....takes up at least twice as much space....but its about 450 albums.
Damn Jeff, that's some serious music collection
I'm never in the car long enough to more than a few songs
Old 09-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #140
J&T Distributing

yeah, the sad part is neither am I....I used to have a lot more time on my hands, but now with a career, a kid, a house, DYNAVIN, I just dont have any spare time anymore!