E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 170 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #1861
azmp1

My Ride: 01 M3, 03 A4, 08 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by podge3 View Post
Dynavin really need to sort out the existing iPod interface. Its absolutely appalling.
whats funny to me is that they actually using the photoshop image of the interface that doesnt exist on their site.... its not right lol
azmp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #1862
antoniostarr

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
I think I'm ready to sell my Dynavin (3 months old). It's a great concept but the functionality is not intuitive enough for me. I use my iPod/iphone a lot for music and on the Dynavin it's a huge turn off and here's why:

IPod is locked out when connected so you're forced to use the menu to scroll through artist/albums one click at a time. I wanted to listen to Rick James songs and just gave up after a million clicks through menu. If I did decide to listen to a random album on my iPod all would be well until I have to turn the car off and back on....there's no resume feature! You have to scroll back through the menu to start a song from the beginning.

2: Bluetooth audio doesn't resume after restarting car. It defaults back to radio. Volume is too low!

3: no Bluetooth audio in GpS mode!

4: no iPod in GPS mode but I think someone got that to work.

5: no steering wheel controls for Pandora when iPod is connected via docking station. Works in Bluetooth mode

If I knew for certain that these issues are being addressed I would hold on to the unit, but so far I see nothing. I think this should have been an area of improvement before releasing an Android version.
antoniostarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #1863
Tho///a5

My Ride: 2k M5
A lot of people have said they get no bluetooth audio when in gps mode but I have never had that issue? Maybe because I have a v5 for the e39? There has been an update for my unit that enabled track changing when in nav mode. That was my only real gripe with the unit... that issue resolved leaves only ipod resume on the list of major flaws left in my opinion.
Tho///a5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #1864
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniostarr View Post
IPod is locked out when connected so you're forced to use the menu to scroll through artist/albums one click at a time. I wanted to listen to Rick James songs and just gave up after a million clicks through menu.
Im not defending the ipod interface at all- It sucks. But there is an easy way to page scroll through the song lists (V5): Back out until you get to the ipod menu you want, like artist, album, etc. Then tap the top of the screen to get the on screen controls to come up, tap to get to the second control page (cant remember the icon right now), and page through the lists with the arrow. Much faster.

Yea, the ipod screen shown on the web site would rock.
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #1865
podge3

My Ride: Rover 75 CDTi
I'm not overly concerned about how the UI looks. On my previous headunits, I just set the iPod to shuffle and used the steering controls to skip songs. Most of my previous HUs also had resume.

This Dyna interface is terrible. I would much rather they "fixed" the control/resume issues than mess around with the graphics.
podge3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:18 AM   #1866
richyboycaldo

My Ride: Mx5 300zx 240z 330c
I just intalled my dynavin v5, and I have the ipod cable hooked up to it (same as my dice, for nano 3rd gen) and as soon I plug the ipod It takes me to the ipod menu, BUT only for 1/2 a second and It goes back to radio, so I go to the menu and touch "Ipod" and it says invalid. It there something wrong? It happens every time I plug the ipod
richyboycaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #1867
Cuongy

My Ride: M3
if i wanna run a aftermarket amp to power a aftermarket sub what wires do i run to the amp from my dynavin unit?
Cuongy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #1868
hartvix

My Ride: BMW 325i E46
I ordered my V5 three weeks ago from Jeff. Got it this week and installed it during the last two days, so here are my notes from the installation and some initial impressions.

Install:
My car (2001 325i Euro) came with 4:3 OEM navi. Unfortunately my radio wasn't a BM54, it was an 'old' BM23 with a different plug. A quick email to Jeff and he confirmed that I had to take the plug from the Dynavin harness and splice it with the fakra cable (cutting off the flat-pin plug). Of course he was right, and after a bit of soldering the cable was ready for installation The only other thing that set me back was the antenna extension which is far too short for my 4-door saloon so I had to buy an extra extension cable. The rest of the installation was straight-forward from the FAQ.

Initial impressions:
I don't have a huge demand when it comes to things like this. I just want something that a) looks OEM, b) can play mp3 from usb, c) has a decent sat-nav, d) has good radio reception and steering wheel integration. The Dynavin has all that. I immediately noticed the glare from the screen, but luckily BMW thought of that 10 years ago - my car is equipped with electric rear sun-guard! Glare issue solved at the touch of a button

Pros:
- Jeff's customer service is great!
- Looks great in the dash
- Picture quality is good
- Radio reception is as good or better than with the OEM unit
- Sound quality is as good or better than with the OEM unit
- Sat-nav works out of the box (with Euro-maps included, thanks Jeff!)
- Sterring wheel integration works perfectly
- Bluetooth connects super-fast to my phone. I don't really care about BT but it seems to work fine for incoming and outgoing calls which is good enough for me.
- No bugs, crashes, etc so far. Starts up really fast, radio is on 2-3 seconds after I start the car. No major lagging in the menus.

Cons:
- The usb player has been mentioned several times before and it really does suck, but I knew that before I bought the unit.
- Balance and fader settings seem to be non-linear. For instance, if I set the fader to the first rear setting (R1) it seems like 80% of the sound goes to the back. I would like something closer to 40-60.
- Would really like to have OBC integration, but again I knew that it didn't have that before I bought the unit.
- Radio is a lot louder than usb (has been mentioned here 100 times before)

Overall, I'm really happy with the Dynavin so far. It's pretty much exactly what I expected, but then again I did my reading before I ordered the unit and Jeff's review is really honest and correct. People who expect the unit to be perfect in every way haven't done their research I think.

I hope it will still work perfectly during the Norwegian winter (-20 degrees celcius) Time will tell..

Oh, and if someone can tell me if there's a 'random all'/shuffle function on the usb, that would be awesome. I think someone mentioned that it's possible but I can't figure out how to do it.
hartvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #1869
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Glad you did your homework, knew what to expect, and are now happy!

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #1870
Tho///a5

Touch the top of the screen and an on screen touch menu pops up. Press the button on the right which brings up the next sequence of on screen menu options. From there you should see rndm or something like that. This woll randomize everything on the current media.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #1871
hartvix

My Ride: BMW 325i E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tho///a5 View Post
Touch the top of the screen and an on screen touch menu pops up. Press the button on the right which brings up the next sequence of on screen menu options. From there you should see rndm or something like that. This woll randomize everything on the current media.
Works like a charm, thanks!
hartvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #1872
papa316smurf

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_328xi View Post
I am also curious about this. Does anyone have any comments?
Well, I bought the previously mentioned microphone (Amazon users seem to like it for other systems), and I can say that there is absolutely no improvement. I even placed it right in front of me, in front of the instrument cluster. So far, I have tried the built-in mic, the external one that came with the Dynavin (placed in the OE mic location), and the Clarion one. Sound quality is pretty much the same with all of them. I also tried leaving myself a message to hear what the issues may be. It seems like adding the external microphone doesn't automatically disable the built-in one. I tested this by simply rubbing my fingertip over the top of each microphone, and I got distortion for both. In theory, installing an external mic should have disabled the internal one.

The major issue seems to be that the mic gain is very high. Speaking in a normal voice comes out relatively loud on the other end, and so does any background noise. Has anyone found any hidden settings to turn down the mic gain? Any suggestions that have worked for others in improving call quality? I'm resorting to using my speakerphone half the time because people can't understand me on the other end otherwise.
papa316smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #1873
Tho///a5

Try restarting your phone. My evo would be distorted occasionally when using my Dynavin. Once restarted it came in clear. Occasionally I have had connectivity issues where I can talk through my Mic but not hear from my speakers. So i end up having to hold the phone to my ear anyway defeating the purpose.... that's possibly a phone issue though because my chatterbox has connectivity issues occasionally too...
Old 07-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #1874
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by nangelis View Post
Hi Jeff
I bought a E46 V5 unit from you in January (love it!). Quick question - saw a configuration video you loaded on June 9th that showed the firmware at 3-22-11. My unit has 1-04-11. A couple ofquick questions:

1) Whre can I get the firmware - thy dyvan site is very unclear...
2) Is the 3-22-11 the latest firmware
3) is there a benefit to updating?

Thanks in Advance,

Nick

Bump. These questions haven't been answered yet. Also, does this firmware version (3-22-11) come with the BMW logo on startup?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #1875
Tho///a5

I have the update but my unit is a dvn-e39 not sure if that matters... when u hit source it brings up the screen with all of the inputs instead of going input by input with every push. It also makes changing songs when in nav mode possible. Great update in my opinion.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #1876
richyboycaldo

My Ride: Mx5 300zx 240z 330c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongy View Post
if i wanna run a aftermarket amp to power a aftermarket sub what wires do i run to the amp from my dynavin unit?
I have no idea, My shop installed this, but the ipod cable I used was from my old Dice unit.
richyboycaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #1877
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin325ci View Post
Bump. These questions haven't been answered yet. Also, does this firmware version (3-22-11) come with the BMW logo on startup?
1) your dealer

2) yes

3) depends, the changes are subtle but functional, see Tho///a5's comments above.

The logo is a separate file, contact your dealer for it.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #1878
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
Jeff, thanks for the clarification. I contacted my dealer about the latest firmware, and he only sent me one file, zh8202t.bin, which to my knowledge, only changes the logo. Is it safe to flash the unit with just that file, or do I really need to update it along with the corresponding zh_mcu.bin file?

The dealer I purchased it from is just a reseller, and doesn't seem knowledgeable about this stuff I really wanted to get from you Jeff, but you are always out of stock! I was really in a hurry to get one since I just asked my friend to bring it home from the US and he was leaving soon. Otherwise I definitely would've bought it from you
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #1879
J&T Distributing

That is the logo file and yes it is safe to use it by itself.

Yep, I'm always out of stock because you guys keep buying them faster than dynavin can make them!

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-20-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #1880
Mattbuyshouses

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
Yep, I'm always out of stock because you guys keep buying them faster than dynavin can make them!
I bet the guys at Dynavin are real sad about that too. Not being able to keep something in stock these days is a pretty cool thing.
Mattbuyshouses is offline   Reply With Quote