E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
mercury26

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
TCU/Bluetooth Install, Need Some Assistance

I recently installed the new TCU (from dealer), BT antenna (under center console) and microphone. I installed everything per directions (in a number of DIY post), when I turn on the car and press the R/T button the radio pops up a message "ACTIVATE PHONE". I cannot get my iPhone 6S to pair with the car. It does not show up as a BT device on my phone Any thoughts on the issue?

TCU Module is 84.10 9195455-02

OK, I added a pic of the TCU Module, did I miss an antenna cable? I have the multipin cable connected on the other side. I only found two female type FAKRA connectors for the TCU in the bundle in the trunk.

mercury26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Are those cables the only cables connected to the TCU? You need power, ground and a "turn on" signal from the head unit for the bt module to work.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
mercury26

No, those are not the only cables. The large black multi-pin connector (with the white lock) is connected on the other end of the TCU module.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
The r/t button has nothing to do with pairing on a tcu.
Pairing occurs during the first 30 seconds of key on.
Go to your iphones bt settings, then turn the key on, when you see "BMW-----" enter the pk code.
(Yours is 5775)
Wait for it to connect.
Then wait for the phonebook to load (15-30 seconds for me, 2-3 minutes for my friend who has a bazillion contacts) and done.

If it fails after the first connect, turn the key off, go inside and do something productive, wait 15 minutes for the car to go to sleep, then go turn the key on. It will connect automatically the second time.

E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting DIY

Last edited by Onizukachan; 09-04-2016 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Add more info.
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
mercury26

OK, I am really stumped. I stop using the R/T button for all of these steps.

* I tried three different iPhones 6, 6S and SE and two different Android phones new Samsung and old Huawei. None of them can find discover the cars bluetooth, also tried putting the phones on top of the module, to see if the issue might be an antenna issue.

* Replaced the Telephone fuses

* Tried an old module that I purchased off Ebay that I was old was known to be working

Is it possible that car could need some type of coding? Is their a tool that can be used (such as PA Soft) that would (at minimum) tell me if the car is recognizing the module?

On the VW, I could use my VAG-COM/VCDS and diagnose this in a couple minutes.

Thanks

Chuck
Old 09-05-2016, 08:35 PM   #6
mercury26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
The r/t button has nothing to do with pairing on a tcu.
Pairing occurs during the first 30 seconds of key on.
Go to your iphones bt settings, then turn the key on, when you see "BMW-----" enter the pk code.
(Yours is 5775)
Wait for it to connect.
Then wait for the phonebook to load (15-30 seconds for me, 2-3 minutes for my friend who has a bazillion contacts) and done.

If it fails after the first connect, turn the key off, go inside and do something productive, wait 15 minutes for the car to go to sleep, then go turn the key on. It will connect automatically the second time.
Thanks for the suggestions, but I am not getting any phones (used 6 different already) recognize the BMW in pairing mode. Familiar will all the other steps.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #7
Onizukachan

Unless the module has BT coded off, you will see the BT in the first 30 seconds.

You can check it with navcoder beta or ncsexpert to make sure it is on. No car coding is actually required.

If you have the wrong cable plugged in, you will only see it right next to the tcu.

If you miss it, you have to wait up to 15 minutes for the car to go to sleep before you can try again.

Last edited by Onizukachan; 09-05-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:34 AM   #8
mercury26

PA Soft / BMW Scanner solved my issue. The TCU module did not have Bluetooth set to "ON". I used PA Soft to set BT to ON and then was able to pair with the phone. Interesting that the module came brand new from BMW but did not have this set on. Now on to other things...
Old 09-25-2016, 03:45 AM   #9
Onizukachan

It happens. Glad you figured it out.