E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #221
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
no, the opposite, the V5 does not have english windows....do that first so you can read the menus etc... later.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #222
thejames

My Ride: e46 330ci Coupe Auto
Anyone had any thoughts about viruses..? I'm thinking a virus/trojan could royally screw with the unit!
thejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #223
J&T Distributing

now you are going to make me paranoid!

Old 12-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #224
petrut

My Ride: bmw e46
haha, funny. Wince viruses ))))))))))))) . Not in 1 bilion years.
petrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #225
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejames View Post
Anyone had any thoughts about viruses..? I'm thinking a virus/trojan could royally screw with the unit!
Very unlikely, when's the last time you heard of a virus for Wnidows 98, considering WniCE is even more basic than that.

Last edited by Darkoz; 12-04-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #226
thejames

My Ride: e46 330ci Coupe Auto
Fair enough. I'm a Mac guy (I know they're not impenetrable, but almost) so I hear Windows, and I think Virus.

Good to know
thejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #227
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejames View Post
Fair enough. I'm a Mac guy (I know they're not impenetrable, but almost) so I hear Windows, and I think Virus.

Good to know
Ha ha, Apple has done well to indoctrinate it's users.
If it had over 80% of the market share as Windows does, then it would be the target of virus' just the same.

Last edited by Darkoz; 12-06-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #228
johnt1436

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Ha ha, Apple has done well to indoctrinate it's users.
If it had over 80% of the market share as Windowes does, then it would be the target of virus' just the same.

2001 M3 Convertible, Carbon Black - Daily Driver
2007 328i Convertible, Atlantic Blue - Wife's car
2003 X5 4.4i - Grocery-getter
johnt1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #229
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
Wifi on the Dynavin:

Is it possible to download and install apps, besides what comes with the WinCE patch, with wifi installed? I was reading about WinCE and Pocket PC. They are not the same, and I just got more confused. If we can download and install apps, what processor and platform is the Dynavin compatable with? Anyone have some good application download links, must have apps, internet shortcuts that are useful in the car, etc? Im very interested in downloading weather radar maps, but I guess thats straight internet.
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #230
Flybot

I need help with the wifi patch. It doesnt seem to have installed anything. I dont see any change on the desktop, wifi dongle lights up but it doesnt ask for network, no Opera icon, zip. So, I tried to reinstall. I recopy the Temp folder from my PC to the nav chip, but Temp folder seems to get deleted by the Dynavin when I turn it on. I assume that is written into the wifi patch to auto delete the installation files. Total commander cant find it. So I tricked it and copied the Temp folder to another folder (my documents on the nav chip). Then within total commander I copied the temp folder to the root, ran install.exe again. All seemed to go well, but still no difference, no wifi.

The first install seemed to go fine, no errors, it rebooted by its self. It just didnt seem to install anything. The only oddity is when on my laptop and copying the wifi patch to the nav chip, Windows asks if I want to overwrite Desktop.ini. That doesnt make sense to me since Im copying to a fresh new location. But I selected overwrite with the new file (which has a 2004 date). Also, the install doesnt seem to take very long- maybe 20-30 sec. Instructions said a few minutes. ???

Im using the Edimax wifi dongle recommended by Petrut.

Any ideas? Everything else works fine, including the CE Desktop patch.

Last edited by Flybot; 12-07-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #231
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
hmm, not sure. I have mine working.

sounds like you did the first step of the wifi patch and then petrut emailed you the second file that is the temp folder. I just copied that folder to the root of the sd card and then followed the directions to install it. that all worked perfect for me. then reboot and go back to the windows desktop and put the dongle in. I have the same as you, looks like a thumb drive or usb drive? It appeared to install itself and then found wireless networks. I then turned on miwi on my phone and activated the wifi tethering and the dongle picks it up and I click to connect. And have opera on the desktop. I do want to try a different browsing program. I never really liked opera.

we can talk sometime tomorrow or tomorrow evening if you want. I do recall one of the folders I copied to the sd card said there was a duplicate file or folder and I just over wrote it. but it wasn't the desktop.ini. I think it was an actual folder. But then I searched for that folder and couldn't fine it. who knows, but it all works.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #232
Flybot

Ok, I re-extracted the .rar file and reinstalled. This time I got the new Opera and remote desktop icon, but its still not asking for a network connection, and I have two wireless connections available.

So, Im reconfused. I must have messed up the extraction the first time. But this time I dont understand what would be causing it to not look for a network. The Dynavin recognizes the wifi dongle, because the radio stops and it says USB Input on the screen. What is the difference in the two USBs? I only have one accessible, but I had an issue with the other not accepting a USB to do the ipod update. I thought a USB was a USB??? Maybe I need to pull it out (arrrrgggg) and bring an extension out for the other USB because they seem to act differently.

EDIT: Got it 100% now. Apparently the USB ports are different in some way. I plugged the wifi into the USB/GPS and it did what it was supposed to do.

WHO HAS THE ENGLISH UPDATE?

Last edited by Flybot; 12-07-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #233
J&T Distributing

Only the "gps usb" is connected to the windows board. The other usb is connected to the radio board, remember the dynavin has two systems running in parallel....Turns out a usb is NOT just a usb....

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-08-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #234
Flybot

Makes sense now. Did I miss that in your install directions? It may be worth mentioning in there that its recommended to run them both out to an accessible spot. I saw that the tags on the USB were labeled differently, but it didnt register.

Where is the english update. Ive seen it and Ive searched, but I just see it discussed, no file link. TIA.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #235
TRBOVNM

flybot,

I suggest you go back and do some reading. yes, the two USB's are different. I thought they were even labeled differently. the dongle goes into the GPS usb. and if you are thinking they are all the same, again, go back and start reading. Why? Because now you want the english firmware and it needs to be installed correctly using the correct ports. I have done updates via USB and via the sd card. so you need to make sure you are using the right port or you risk possible major problems. assumption is the mother of all f-ups.

english update, contact who you bought the unit from. they can get you the update. no need to yell.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #236
Flybot

Sorry, it was the yell of excitement! This wifi is el coolio.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #237
TRBOVNM

lol, gotcha. yeah it is pretty neat. after the first of the yr I will be looking into a keyboard most likely. If I just use it for browsing it will be fine, but responding or posting is a pain because the on-screen keyboard is so small and even with the stylus, if you don't touch the buttons perfect, you end up using the backspace a lot.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #238
petrut

My Ride: bmw e46
flybot what version of dynavin you have ? i have all kind of english firmwares . I`m happy that you like my wifi
petrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #239
Flybot

I have the V5 for an E39, purchased in Oct 2010. I would love to get the English update since several of the WinCE screen dialogs are Chinese.

The wifi is awesome. Works like a charm. Thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #240
tasi333

My Ride: 330Ci Convertible
Question Google Maps?

Has anyone been able load google maps? I'd love to see local traffic updates while I drive, but the maps.google.com page just wants me to load a cab file with doesn't seem to work for the dynavin unit.

T.

2002 330 Cic Topaz Blue
VMR 701; Front 19x8.5et35 225/35; Rear 19x9.5et45 245/30 | Spacers: 15mm front; 12mm rear | Megan Racing Coil Overs | Short shifter | eBay Strut Bar | Angel Eyes | LED Tails | Dynavin (Droid) | Vanos | DISA

*My Car Thread (Pics & Mod details):
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=873246
tasi333 is offline   Reply With Quote