E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #241
Sinboo50

My Ride: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasi333 View Post
Has anyone been able load google maps? I'd love to see local traffic updates while I drive, but the maps.google.com page just wants me to load a cab file with doesn't seem to work for the dynavin unit.

T.
You can do it in the browser but app does not work, so only maps not Navigation.

Sinboo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #242
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
Dynavin USB ports

I think the word needs to get out regarding the USB ports on the Dynavin units. I have seen several questions asked that in retrospect are a result of not having the correct USB available. Not everyone is thinks they will need both USBs available when they install the unit, so they just run one.
Im sitting in a hotel all day with nothing to do but read, and have read all of Dynavin Info Pt 1 and Pt 2, this thread, Jeffs installation guide, and Petruts Wifi patch thread on the GolfMKV forum. There is nothing definitive mentioned on the differences of these two USB ports, but it has caused issues for me twice. Maybe Im dense, but USB/GPS and USB/DVD makes no difference to me until its explained. I dont plug DVDs or GPSs into either one. And until you start really tweaking, its never explained that the Dynavin has a "split personality". Ok, enough whining.

Lessons learned

-When you install your unit, run a extension for both USB ports.

-The USB/DVD is connected to the "Radio" side of the unit. It will be needed for firmware updates and access to media files on the radio side of the unit.

-The USB/GPS is connected to the WinCE side of the unit. If you are reading this thread and are planing to have the wifi patch, you need to have access to this USB to attach the wifi dongle. It also provides thumb drive file access on the Win CE side.

Hopefully this will save some head scratching for some.
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #243
Sinboo50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
I think the word needs to get out regarding the USB ports on the Dynavin units. I have seen several questions asked that in retrospect are a result of not having the correct USB available. Not everyone is thinks they will need both USBs available when they install the unit, so they just run one.
Im sitting in a hotel all day with nothing to do but read, and have read all of Dynavin Info Pt 1 and Pt 2, this thread, Jeffs installation guide, and Petruts Wifi patch thread on the GolfMKV forum. There is nothing definitive mentioned on the differences of these two USB ports, but it has caused issues for me twice. Maybe Im dense, but USB/GPS and USB/DVD makes no difference to me until its explained. I dont plug DVDs or GPSs into either one. And until you start really tweaking, its never explained that the Dynavin has a "split personality". Ok, enough whining.

Lessons learned

-The USB/DVD is connected to the "Radio" side of the unit. It will be needed for firmware updates and access to media files on the radio side of the unit.

-The USB/GPS is connected to the WinCE side of the unit. If you are reading this thread and are planing to have the wifi patch, you need to have access to this USB to attach the wifi dongle. It also provides thumb drive file access on the Win CE side.

Werd
Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #244
Flybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrut View Post
yes, that one works perfect, is tested ! On ebay is way cheaper, bought mine with 35 usd, must have some luck on bidding .

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4GHz-Rii-Mini-...item4aa63b9964

Wireless Keyboard:
This looks really good. How does it connect on a Dynavin, via wireless or USB?
Old 12-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #245
Sinboo50

Quote:
Wireless Keyboard:
This looks really good. How does it connect on a Dynavin, via wireless or USB?
Wireless Dongle in GPS/USB...

BTW.. I never got the track-pad to work.. just the keyboard.

They are on Amazon if you dont' want to wait from shipment from China.

If you don't care about wireless or size just plug in an old USB keyboard.

Last edited by Sinboo50; 12-09-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #246
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:

Lessons learned

Jeff has explained the difference between the USBs many times in the Dynavin threads very clearly and that the Dynavin has two sides to it, the WinCE side which runs the Nav, WiFi etc. and the other which runs the DVD, Radio etc.
Hence why the USB cables are labelled GPS/USB and DVD/USB, one for each side of the Dynavin
Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #247
thejames

My Ride: e46 330ci Coupe Auto
Re: Plugging in a USB keyboard (or even a keyboard wireless dongle)... If you're running the wifi hack, you're USB will be taken up with the wifi dongle.

Presumably then we can use a USB hub? A simple, unpowered one?
thejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #248
Sinboo50

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejames View Post
Re: Plugging in a USB keyboard (or even a keyboard wireless dongle)... If you're running the wifi hack, you're USB will be taken up with the wifi dongle.

Presumably then we can use a USB hub? A simple, unpowered one?
Unpowered USB does not work... According to Petrut is has to be a powered 1.1 USB hub.. I have not tried that yet because it will require hardwire to power or car adapter power. Let me know if anyone gets it working with both.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #249
Flybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Jeff has explained the difference between the USBs many times in the Dynavin threads very clearly and that the Dynavin has two sides to it, the WinCE side which runs the Nav, WiFi etc. and the other which runs the DVD, Radio etc.
Hence why the USB cables are labelled GPS/USB and DVD/USB, one for each side of the Dynavin
Well, Im happy you found it then
Old 12-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #250
Sinboo50

Flybot, I did the same thing you did on install since I had not read much of this at that time... I just wanted to get it installed. Made sense to extend the USB/DVD but at the time did not know why I needed the USB/GPS. Thankfully it is an easy job to go back in and extend the other one.

Last edited by Sinboo50; 12-09-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #251
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
I was thinking the same thing james. I wanted to get a keyboard, but if it is wired or even wireless, my gps usb is taken up with the wifi dongle.

And that suxs. Petrut, can you revise the on-screen keyboard to be a little bigger so the buttons are bigger and we don't have to be so precise with the stylus? It seems there is no room for error while typing. It would be nice so we don't have to wire up the car like a Christmas tree to get it all working.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:21 AM   #252
petrut

My Ride: bmw e46
the default keyboard is eurokeyboard, and have many layouts, you can change them from mode menu...
http://flydigital.ro/wince/productdetail-6-.htm, picture 6, is the picture with the keyboard that you should have enabled by default. If is not, select it from input panel menu in bottom right corner. If you press and hold the MOD button on keyboard, you can select bigger layout. Try it.
About usb hub, only powered ones work. 2.0 hubs can work if are not too complicated ( buy cheap chinese stuff, i`ll try to find some links ). I have a noname one and works fine.
petrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #253
Flybot

Keyboard;
So what are we saying here?
- That we cant use the keyboard feature at the same time as wireless internet because of the limited USB ports?
- Or that we cant use wireless keyboard at all because Bluetooth accessories dont work?
- Or we can get a powered, cheap, USB spliter and have a USB tethered keyboard and the wifi dongle at the same time.

If Im understanding the above posts correctly, we may as well get a cheap USB only keyboard and a USB splitter if you want internet at the same time as the keyboard.

Last edited by Flybot; 12-10-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #254
our04zmzm

My Ride: 04 M3 'vert
Quote:
Keyboard;
If Im understanding the above posts correctly, we may as well get a cheap USB only keyboard and a USB splitter if you want internet at the same time as the keyboard.
Exactly what I'm hoping for. Subscribed with hopes of a hub being located/useable.
our04zmzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #255
Ryumike

My Ride: 330xi
After the patch it will ask me to pick witch device I am setting up each time I turn the nav on how do I fix this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using BimmerApp
Ryumike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #256
Flybot

It is not clear what you are talking about.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #257
TRBOVNM

Ryumike,

I had the same issue. the list does not have the dynavin 5. Only has up to Dynavin 3 I think it is. It was recommended to select the A3(Audi) dynavin model. It asks me this every time, like it doesn't save the Audi when I select that. I stopped even selecting it. Petrut said he was going to release a fix so the dynavin 5 is in the list and that fix should be very soon. I think he told me this last week.

Petrut, I will check out the keyboard options. Thanks for the info.

Question, if we are in the windows ce screen, how do we go into the iphone app? I have been going back and changing the link to the nav program. I have icons on the desktop for total commander, main shell and some others that don't appear to go to the iphone type app.

Flybot, I think you are correct for the keyboard options.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:42 AM   #258
petrut

there is icon on desktop named iphone today !!!
Gapi fix will come in a day or two.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #259
TRBOVNM

Checked the on-screen keyboard change. nice to have a couple of options. I didn't try it, just wanted to see the size differences. Should help with posting online.

I still really wish the hack window or even the screen could be calibrated correctly so that the start button or X (closing out programs) we fully within the viewable area. It makes it tough and very annoying trying to hit those buttons 20 times before they are actually selected.

I just checked. Found iphone today, thanks, but see previous comment. The IP is basically cutoff, so all I saw was hone today. I have tried a bunch of different calbrations with selecting in the center of the crosshairs, off them a little, off a lot and nothing really helps.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #260
petrut

tell that to dynavin. They can`t understand that is MAIN firmware problem. I also have this issue on newer wince 6 devices from audiosources, maisun, etc. All you can do is play with the size settings in gps shell and calibrate every time with a stylus, and see the results. There is nothing i can do.
You should all ask dynavin for a fix. I did too, but they dont care.