E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #61
WingsAA

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBOVNM View Post
can you explain your mistake so future users don't make it?
Sure thing. Basically I used the wrong Data file. I was using the data file found on the sd card and not the downloaded data.zip.

Here's the breakdown of steps:
  1. Download the WinCEHack from Petrut and extract
  2. Download the Data.zip from the link Petrut prvided in the instructions
  3. Unzip the downloaded Data.zip and copy the Program Files folder to the WinCEHack folder
  4. Copy the WinCEHack folder to the root of the GPS SD card slot
  5. Run the .exe as indicated in the direction from Petrut.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #62
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
awesome. thank you very much.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #63
BrutaL

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsAA View Post
Sure thing. Basically I used the wrong Data file. I was using the data file found on the sd card and not the downloaded data.zip.

Here's the breakdown of steps:
  1. Download the WinCEHack from Petrut and extract
  2. Download the Data.zip from the link Petrut prvided in the instructions
  3. Unzip the downloaded Data.zip and copy the Program Files folder to the WinCEHack folder
  4. Copy the WinCEHack folder to the root of the GPS SD card slot
  5. Run the .exe as indicated in the direction from Petrut.
Steps 2 and 3 could have been eliminated (ie; done for you/customers). Just pointing out an opportunity for improvement. Hope Im not opening a can of worms?
BrutaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #64
WingsAA

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutaL View Post
Steps 2 and 3 could have been eliminated (ie; done for you/customers). Just pointing out an opportunity for improvement. Hope Im not opening a can of worms?
No worries. These are just the steps I followed that worked for me. Wanted to be as clear as possible. I'll update once I receive the wi-fi driver, and wi-fi stick.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #65
WanderLustMan

My Ride: 05 M3 Mystic Blue
Ok, I've successfully installed the hack but there is something that is BUGGING THE HELL OUT OF ME.

The WinCE programs typically have the "Cancel" "OK" or other buttons that you use to get out of a program on the edges of the screen. It is borderline impossible to hit those buttons with your fingers. You would have to use a stylus to get there. My example is in the Nitrogen MP3 player for example. Once I load it, I can't get out of it without a lot of clicking for no reason.

Is there a way to reduce the size of the screen in software? I did the "Screen" setup for the NAVI board and made the screen as small as possible but it still is too large width wise.

cheers.
WanderLustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #66
petrut

My Ride: bmw e46
calibrate with a stylus, will help !!!! also keep the wince display size the same as real display size, not smaller. You can test in screen position settings. Dont forget to calibrate after finish.
@Brutal, those steps are recently introduced due the BIG size of resulting folder and that made my server go nuts. Also now is easy to upgrade, no need to reinstall, just download new data.zip and overwrite.
petrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #67
immigrant

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to immigrant
$20 bucks for a patch is too expensive for me.
immigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #68
WanderLustMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrut View Post
calibrate with a stylus, will help !!!! also keep the wince display size the same as real display size, not smaller. You can test in screen position settings. Dont forget to calibrate after finish.
@Brutal, those steps are recently introduced due the BIG size of resulting folder and that made my server go nuts. Also now is easy to upgrade, no need to reinstall, just download new data.zip and overwrite.
ok, maybe that will work but I'm not sure what you mean keep it the same size as real display? how do I know if I have it the same size as the real display?

Sounds like I will need to use a stylus all the time no?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #69
petrut

no need to use stylus. just calibrate corectly and the size of screen.... just test the different settings in screen size... don`t know how to explain , i dont have a unit now near me.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #70
WanderLustMan

ok, I will keep playing around with it but sometimes that "X" to close a window is way up in the corner and almost impossible to hit without a stylus. maybe i just have fat fingers.

another question. there is a lot of stuff that is still in chinese randomly around the WinCE environment. Is there a way to remove that to clean up the system a bit?
Old 10-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #71
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
You need to realise that a 7" screen in a car is not an ideal environment to be running a windows type UI, it's OK for a desktop which is typically at least 19" and you're sitting right in front of it but to try and navigate on a 7" touch screen without at least using a stylus would be awkward at best .
Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #72
WanderLustMan

cool, i'll try with a stylus and play around a bit more.

what should I google in order to find some additional skins for the MP3 player. Also, is there a way to make the MP3 player read ID3 tags and coverart?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #73
TRBOVNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immigrant View Post
$20 bucks for a patch is too expensive for me.
it isn't for everyone. but the money we put into these cars, $20? too much to gain more features and expand the opportunities of the unit? to each their own.

actually, for the wifi you are looking at about $45 total. but then options are almost limitless with internet surfing and everything added to the unit.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #74
petrut

@wander, for skins for nitrogen, try in xda developers. You can find there full program description, also how to make read cover arts, etc.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #75
WanderLustMan

thanks man, any particular forum over at XDA? there are a TON!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #76
johnt1436

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderLustMan View Post
thanks man, any particular forum over at XDA? there are a TON!
Try this one for everything Nitrogen.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...light=nitrogen

Also, here is a Nitrogen website with skins, etc.

http://nitrogen.wmskins.com/

Hope it helps.

John

2001 M3 Convertible, Carbon Black - Daily Driver
2007 328i Convertible, Atlantic Blue - Wife's car
2003 X5 4.4i - Grocery-getter
johnt1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #77
huynerm3

My Ride: ///m veRt
so with this patch, are higher resolution music videos going to be able to play with no skipped frames? i am a music video fanatic so I always want to have music videos playing.
huynerm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #78
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
Lets say for some reason I am not satisfied with the WinCE patch, how would I go about completely reversing it back to factory?

Edit: Found answer in post #44

Last edited by Tchleung; 10-14-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #79
TRBOVNM

purchased . will get the antenna ordered shortly

Petrut, I know you have the two antenna's listed, I am planning to install my USB connections for both DVD and GPS in the glove box. I like the second one that looks like the memory stick because it is compact and in the glove box is won't be much of an intrusion to anything else I put in there for storage.

so, the question is, will either of these work in the glove box and not have an issue with signal or do I need to mount the USB port somewhere else?

second is, anyone have personal experience with the signal strength of the memory stick design or should I get the one that is designed like an antenna?

Last edited by TRBOVNM; 10-15-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #80
petrut

for better results, get the edimax one. No issues with the signal. A brand is a brand.