E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
kingsfryer

My Ride: e46 m3
Ess power claims?

Hi,been told by a uk tuner that the power ESS claims for there supercharger kits are a bit down eg..cfr525=525bhp but its around 490-500bhp...but he said he can remap to the actual claimed figures or a little more? Is this true??
Anybody fitted a ESS kit but power is not what there quoted??
kingsfryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Didn't you guys in UK invent english? Why don't you actually use it?
ESS is actually known to be honest about their HP claims (they calculate crank hp by assuming 15% drivetrain loss, where other companies work with 20%)
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
He is absolutely correct. It is pretty well known that they their kits don't put out their advertised numbers, especially on the s65 platform.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Cruzer03

My Ride: 03.5 M3 JB/IR 11.5M3
Interesting...
Cruzer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Matt Q

My Ride: Jezebel
I thought this was kind of common of most (not all) tuners though...in fact the same could be said of manufacturers claims in the first place.. there is a fair amount of rounding up and "ideal case" scenarios quoted all round..

I recon the power as posted (525 in this case) is a theoretical max for the kit but not necessarily achievable each time you dyno it.

Take a look at the old AA stage 2 gen 3.. it was punted as 520BHP but I doubt that was achieved often from the stock kits...

Not that I'm knocking them or any tuner.. just that I wouldn't be surprised if everyone "massages" the hp claims a little. Take a stock M3 from BMW themselves.... rated as 250 kw (335HP) but who actually gets that out of even a new one?

M3. ONLY BETTER

Last edited by Matt Q; 09-28-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Matt Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
ROM3N

My Ride: ESS E92 M3
I would not suggest re-tuning the software that runs our superchargers as we spend hundreds of hours developing the files so that the kits perform properly.

When comparing numbers remember that it is delta gains you need to compare and not just absolute power as dyno's used and test conditions will always give you different numbers sometimes higher and sometimes lower than expected. A good example of this is a customer who recently installed our VT1-445 on his E46 M3. He did a proper before dyno and used the same dyno to do his after. This kit is rated to add 32% power to the car and his dyno shows he gained about 35% over his baseline.

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthrea...ess+445&page=4

This is a customer who also did a proper before and after on the same dyno with our E9X M3 VT1-535 supercharger. This kit is rated to add 30% power to the car and that is exactly what he made.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=371293&page=9

When this method of testing is used our kits will always make the power we rate them to make if the car is performing properly and the kit was installed correctly. We often see our products exceed our power ratings but we try to always rate expected gains on a worst case scenario. If you are ever interested in the power we rate our different kits at you can reference the product description sections on our website. Each product has a rating on what the proper gains will be over stock.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
robbieracer

My Ride: 2003 M3 6MT
That first graph is from my car and I gotta say I'm very pleased with this ESS system, it has performed flawlessly. My upgrade to VT2-500 is being shipped to my house, so I should have it installed soon. I'm looking forward to the additional power and will post the results afterwards.

ESS VT2-500 | Tein S/Koni | Focal/Zapco | VAC Motorsports High Flow Oil Pump
robbieracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #8
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
I will be going for the ESS VT2-500 kit once im done modding other stuff on my car.
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Actually I got a proof that ESS doesn't blow up their crank hp numbers sitting in my garage.
M54B25 with ESS TS1 is rated at SAE 285 (242whp based on 15% drivetrain loss). I put my car on a dyno today and it pulled 243 whp.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
AMG ETR

My Ride: Ex HPF Owner
A buddies ESS VT450 kit I put on his E46 M3 made a good bit OVER what ESS claimed. Almost made at the wheels what they claim at the crank on a MUSTANG dyno .
Evan
AMG ETR is offline   Reply With Quote