E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
s54ninja

My Ride: '06 M3 - 6mt Coupe
Best solution for BT streaming?

So here's the deal. I've been struggling to get Bluetooth streaming for a while now.

First I tried to get my cell to pair with my M3's (2006) build in bluetooth. It will connect but the first test I did was to make a call. Audio is crazy shitty. Crackling and popping like a mofo. So I played around with it some, and came to the conclusion that my BT module in the trunk was bad. So it got unplugged. Since the OEM module is more for handsfree calling than BT audio, I left that alone and decided to go another route.

The car has the OEM 30-pin iPod connector in the glovebox, so I ordered a 30pin BT adapter. I did some research and got a fairly good one. See link inline below. It arrived. Plugged it in. Powered on. Paired... but when I push the "mode" button on the head unit to switch to BT audio, it says "No Magazine". Same message as when a phone isn't plugged in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did some digging. Assumed it might be a conversion issue because I'm using an iPhone 6 with a 30pin to lightning adapter (works great btw), so I ordered the Scosche adapter. Still nothing.

Did some more digging, and found that the particular model of BT adapter that I got does analog audio passthrough. I'm assuming that the OEM adapter is looking for a digital "handshake" to allow the head unit to switch to iPod mode, so I got another adapter. This one that's supposed to use a digital connection.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still nothing. With or without the Scosche adapter.

So now I'm at a loss. What's the best option for BT streaming in the e46's? I've heard that the DICE media bridge "was" good, but then it was bought by Pioneer? and then turned to ****. I've also seen the Dynavin units, but that's insane overkill for what I'm trying to accomplish.

So what's the consensus? What are you guys using for BT streaming?_a_
s54ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
nallman

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Look here.

I'm using the Bavsound Soundplicity III.

Ease of installation/setup: 5/5
Music quality: 4/5
Phone quality: 3/5
Features and integration: 4/5
nallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:35 PM   #3
Simmsled

My Ride: 04 330i, 03 325xi
Aux cable.
MUCH better sound, super cheap to do, so very simple.
Simmsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:06 AM   #4
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
Aux cable and add this - http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC455-...eywords=kinivo

Solves A2DP and supports hands speaker phone with audio through the car speakers.

Slight issue if listening to something other than A2DP as you have to switch over to Aux to pick up the call, but probably cheaper than many of the interface boxes.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:06 AM   #5
Chaplian

My Ride: M56 SULEV
Go GROM. I have a Grom bluetooth setup in my car and I LOVE it.
Chaplian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:02 AM   #6
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
My experience is that there is no single "best" BT solution. Chose the one that suits your needs best. They all have their upsides and downsides...
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
David F

My Ride: 323i, 740iL, 633CSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nallman View Post
Look here.

I'm using the Bavsound Soundplicity III.

Ease of installation/setup: 5/5
Music quality: 4/5
Phone quality: 3/5
Features and integration: 4/5
+1. I recently installed the Bavsound Soundplicity III and combination with a BMW USB/Aux socket that I located in the oddment tray area...

David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:25 AM   #8
damageinc

My Ride: 04 330i zhp
If you have an aux enabled already, you can use this:

http://www.dx.com/p/convenient-hifi-...4#.VRZXF_l4rYg

sound quality is pretty good for the price.
damageinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:36 AM   #9
mrich777

My Ride: 2006 E46 M3 Vert
Have you considered buying a used OEM module from a newer model that supports A2DP?
mrich777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:22 AM   #10
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich777 View Post
Have you considered buying a used OEM module from a newer model that supports A2DP?
Not going to happen, newer modules have the Fiber Optic MOST interface and I am not sure if and when newer modules supported A2DP on BMW.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:52 PM   #11
Oakley01

My Ride: 2006 BMW 325ci M ser
I use the Soundplicity III in my 325 CI M series and it works great. Once in awhile it has lost connectivity and I have to disconnect the 3pin then reset it.
I installed it myself and considering I had to take my backseat out and the glovebox out. It really was relatively simply. Just make sure to leave the 3 pin disconnected after you plug in the 9 pin and wait til your car recognizes the system. Also don't put your car back together until you have finished the initialization and you know it's working.
Oakley01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #12
ecksman

My Ride: E46 M3, 330xi
Send a message via AIM to ecksman
Just installed a grom Bluetooth adapter trunk install. Took 5-10 minutes to install. Connects to the 2 factory cd changer connectors. That's it, worked immediately. Phone connects on its own once the ignition is turned on. Best $102 I've spent on this car!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #13
tomm1999

My Ride: 2006 325Ci
I had a Dice mediabridge and that supported streaming music. It worked pretty well, but I recently switched to just the aux input. I just sold the mediabridge on monday. The only thing I didnt like about it was if I was listening to the radio obviously the phone wouldn't work. According to the link above you may be able to link the phone calls to the oem bluetooth and the music streaming to the aux input adapter. Hope i didnt read that wrong.
tomm1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:33 PM   #14
zacjones

My Ride: 330i ZHP
quidzel came out with a BMW specific bluetooth module that mounts and integrates via the CD-changer in the trunk, and leaves the aux input available up front. They're working on an improved version that should be out in the next couple months or so, that will offer hands-free profile and an overall improved design. If I don't go with the Dynavin I'll go that route.

http://quidzel.com/bluetooth/#tabs1-support
zacjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #15
kgvickers

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
There are probably better solutions but here's what I did a year or so ago on my '03 330i. Still working great.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...=kinivo+btc450

'03 330i ZHP, Mine
'04 330i, Wifeypoo
'98 328i, Son
kgvickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:06 AM   #16
joe461027

The Grom trunk installation looks like the way ill go. Did you run the mic and USB cables back to the front? TIA
joe461027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #17
rjsquire

My Ride: 2006 330Ci Conv
Just installed the Mediabridge ambr-1500. It's an easy enough install if you're a little handy. Left side of the trunk, back seat, and glove compartment need to be removed, but those are all simple enough. I also had to remove the head unit, because my car had a bmw ipod module from 2006 (or so) that worked, but didn't charge the device, or show what was playing on the display.

The sound quality through the ipod usb interface is great, and the bluetooth isn't bad, though as stated somewhere else on this forum, the vocals sound a bit muted for some reason (especially lower tone voices. high pitch are fine). I had connection issues when I got it, but I flashed the firmware to the latest and it's fine now. However, now when I turn off the radio, the media continues to play on my phone (android phone, i'll test on my ipod later). All the steering wheel controls work as expected. When playing music you can go forward and back, one song at a time, and in my podcast app, I can jump forward and back by the preset number of seconds. Exactly what I want.

Haven't hooked up the microphone, or tried the aux in yet.

Slightly different topic: Has anyone tried both the mediabridge, and the soundplicity from bavsound? The two devices look exactly the same with the exception of the label on the aluminum panel. Even the included microphone looks the same. And since the soundplicity is two and a half times the price, it would have to have MUCH better sound quality to justify it!
rjsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #18
rjsquire

My Ride: 2006 330Ci Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
+1. I recently installed the Bavsound Soundplicity III and combination with a BMW USB/Aux socket that I located in the oddment tray area...

That installation looks fantastic. Is there an adapter to go from the bmw connectors to the standard usb/3.5 mm aux ports on the soundplicity / mediabridge?
rjsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #19
dwmtractor

My Ride: 2001 325i
I just installed the DICE/Audiovox MediaBridge in my '01 325i with standard Business CD radio and used it on a road trip. Audio quality varies wildly with the quality of the music played, but through my Motorola Droid Mini connected by Bluetooth I actually got quite good sound ... good enough that any loss of quality would not have been detectable over the ambient noise of driving on the freeway. Particularly "Night Castle" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra sounded great (as great as the stock speakers can deliver, anyway) across the audio spectrum, at volumes that my family would never have tolerated. A few points:

1) That annoying chirp others have described happens with scrolling text. It's inaudible with loud music, but really irritating in quiet passages. The only way around it is to disable scrolling text. However I could care less about scrolling text, and in point of fact I prefer having the clock display on my radio, which it does with scrolling disabled. Once I turned it off the chirp was completely gone. Interestingly, this also enables access to the tone/balance/fader controls on the radio, which are impossible to access when the text is scrolling.

2) It does have an irritating habit of occasionally dropping the pairing with my phone and reconnecting ... results in about 15-20 seconds of silence before the music continues. Has never happened on a call, and when playing music sometimes it'll go hours without dropping and other times it'll do it 2 or 3 times in half an hour. I have no idea what causes it or how to stop it.

3) The phone audio and synthesized voice menu feedback are MUCH louder than music played over the same Bluetooth connection. That's slightly irritating, but tolerable. If you use the phone's controls to increase the volume of the music output to the MediaBridge it compensates somewhat, but by the time it's anywhere close to the phone volume, loud vocal passages tend to overdrive something (the Bluetooth circuit, maybe?) resulting in some pretty nasty distortion. I prefer to back it off, eliminate the distortion, and just pull the volume back when the phone rings.

4) The MediaBridge permits call answer/hangup using the Track Change buttons on the steering wheel, NOT the phone or voice command buttons. I wish it integrated those too, but it doesn't. To have a true handsfree experience, it's necessary to enable touchless control on the Droid, but I find that the touchless control works well even while driving (you call it by saying "OK Google now" before your command). Actually, it works when the phone is sitting in the drink holder or on the console; not so much when it's on the holster on my belt. Apparently even though the microphone works well for calls, it's not active for voice command, that pickup is on the phone itself. If Audiovox would engineer a connection to the Voice Command button on the steering wheel, and then activate the mic when that button is pressed, it'd be a MAJOR improvement.

5) The nicest place to mount the microphone is in the microphone chamber in the header next to the sunroof switch. Actually the best way (not an original idea of mine) is to swap the position of the mic grille and the switch, which requires a little whittling of the one hole and a little glue on the back side of the other (I used hot-melt glue). Then I hot-glued the mic to the back of the grille, and ran the wire under the trim across the windshield on the right and down the door post to behind the glove compartment where I installed the MediaBridge. This set-up makes for good performance on calls and complete invisibility.

6) The USB is only good for charging and thumb drives ... there is no app for Android that is compatible with this unit (apparently there is for iPhone and iPod only). So Android devices can only play over Bluetooth or Aux cable, and I have yet to try Aux. And the current it delivers for charging isn't what I'd wish ... it'll charge a device that's off, but it can't hold a charge on a phone or tablet with music and navigation active and the screen on. For that you need a higher-current USB charger. Improving the current delivered over USB would be another wished-for enhancement, but again, no deal killer.

So all-in-all I think the MediaBridge is a really good solution and I'm quite satisfied with it. While it definitely could be improved, it beats anything else on the market for the price.
dwmtractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:29 PM   #20
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Aux to the glovebox, then run 5v to the glovebox (run 12 from the fuse, then connect a converter from 12v to 5v with a UBS mini jack end. Make sure the power is switched.

Use this converter - it is DC DC isolated and will eliminate ground loop interference:
https://www.amazon.com/Yeeco-Convert...7Z4E89F2Q&th=1

Then buy a Miccus mini-jack and connect it to the aux and the USB power. Pair it once.

It is the only adaptor I know that turns on and off with usb power and auto-pairs. As a result, you turn the car on, it turns on, and it pairs. Car off, it's off. Most other solutions are more involved, or require you to manually pair when you get in the car.

Last edited by Archbid; 11-30-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Archbid is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
30pin, audio, bluetooth, iphone, ipod